New Member Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

New Member Question

Good evening all. I am new to the BMW motorcycle community since letting my previous ride go four months ago. I have been riding Honda's for the past fifteen years, most recently a Goldwing, but a friend of mine has finally convinced me to switch.
I am hoping to gain knowledge from this forum regarding the purchase of a K1200LT. I am wondering if there are any specific issues to look out for with any given model year (maintenance, reliability, features, etc.). I have found a number of eligible candidates on ibmwr.org that I am considering, but I want to make an informed choice. I greatly appreciate any insight any of you might provide.

Brian Raber
Huntsville, AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Howdy, Brian!

Congrats for filling in your Profile!!!

I suggest you read the "HOW" forum... "Hall of Wisdom". The informatin there is too good to attempt to duplicate here.

Having become a 'convert' to BMW only 2 years ago I think the "faults" clearly and overwhelmingly override any "issues" you may find with the K1200LT.

Our "Misty" is an '05 model. I like the way the dash is laid out along with the other control features. The "issues" are ...

1- lousy rider seat
2- poor "lighting" headlights
3- for an "average guy" like me.. (280#, 6'2" and 33" inseam) the bike seat height is fine, except the foot position after a couple of hours in the saddle.

On the other hand, the Hydraulic Center Stand, higher output engine, ABS, etc, etc, are great!

If you buy a bike which is eligible for "extended warranty", any "mechanical issues" should be easily resolved...

The biggest key is your "dealer".... if you buy the "warranty" from them they will be able to tell you, "up front" what to expect with any significant problem.

Good hunting!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Why the LT

A Harley friend told me - you buy what "moves" you. That's true, but there's more, too. My history is HONDA (Goldwing, Valkryie (x2)), then two Harley V-rods.

My real descision rose from (1) my SO really did not like to ride on the Harley, and (2) while the V-rod would eat sport bikes for lunch, it really wasn't a long distance bike for a 55+ guy, who's 6'4", and 250# - (anyone mention the 3 gal tank??).

I had a friend who bought a new '05, and rode it to our place this summer (480 miles in one day - with one gas stop), and let me take my SO on a ride. We popped the windshield up, she settled back, and the rest is history, sort of.

I had gone to my local Harley shop to look at the '07 Ultras, and lo, there was a graphite '06 LT with 7K miles and EVERY BMW option, and extra stuff to boot, being traded for an Ultra.. I remembered my SO's comments, my friend's bike, and made an offer for it on the spot. A deal was finally consumated, and the new beast graces my garage.

In truth, I test rode a Goldwing, and loathed it - the 1800 is nothing like the 1500 - and that's not leaning toward improvements either, the Harley never touched my soul - old technology in every way, I have always disliked riding the sport tourers from all the makers, but if the big Triumph had some BMWish fit and finish, it would have been a tougher decision.

My last point relates to my 3K road trip this fall, which included my friend on his LT - I have never seen an easier bike to clean at the end of a long day on the road.

That's the story for me - I'm sure there are many others. My recommendation is that if you want an upright bike that will blow the wheels off almost any other two wheeler - look at the V-rod. If you want a two wheeled BMW (I have owned 7 of those), that's smooth, fun, and the SO will approve of - go for the LT.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 8:16 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Brian,

Lets get together some time for lunch or what ever, as I work in Huntsville and live in Hazel Green. Be happy to share my 2 years + experiences on the LT.

Day# 842-0319

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in