Almost Jumped The Shark - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Almost Jumped The Shark

I got to thinking, "Gee, maybe the GT is a better choice of a bike for me."

Reason: Not doing as much two up as anticipated, and the weight of the LT, I thought, was too much for just solo riding.

Read a lot of posts regarding GT, and was convincing myself this was the bike for me. You know, pictures of my carving through canyon roads, stopping by an ocean overlook, etc.

Also did a lot of reading about the correct position when riding a sport-tourer.

Long story short, I took two test rides. The first one my posture was all wrong, arms locked, bending at waist instead of hips, etc. The bike was great, but my back was killing me.

Not one to give up, I took a second ride, with the correct riding posture (did a lot of reading between rides one and two), bending at the hips, elbows bent, back arched, feather touch on the handegrips, etc. It most have been beautiful to behold, but still, I was not comfortable.

Before I took my second ride, I really wanted the change in posture to make all the difference. I wanted the GT, and even brought my check book, ready to trade my LT (who now has a new name) for the GT.

Perhaps in time, I would have gotten used to the new ergonomics, but it was too pricey an expirement to take. Sometimes, you gotta try, and in so doing I realized just how great a bike the LT is.

Big Momma is happy (my bike), and so am I.

She may be a big girl, but she's my big girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:53 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Welcome back from the dark side Stefeb The LT is a great bike. Beside with you dropping outa the GT race it makes room for ME!!!! I've been thinking 'bout one ever sence a saw Grifs Darn nice bike

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
I got to thinking, "Gee, maybe the GT is a better choice of a bike for me."

Reason: Not doing as much two up as anticipated, and the weight of the LT, I thought, was too much for just solo riding.

Read a lot of posts regarding GT, and was convincing myself this was the bike for me. You know, pictures of my carving through canyon roads, stopping by an ocean overlook, etc.

Also did a lot of reading about the correct position when riding a sport-tourer.

Long story short, I took two test rides. The first one my posture was all wrong, arms locked, bending at waist instead of hips, etc. The bike was great, but my back was killing me.

Not one to give up, I took a second ride, with the correct riding posture (did a lot of reading between rides one and two), bending at the hips, elbows bent, back arched, feather touch on the handegrips, etc. It most have been beautiful to behold, but still, I was not comfortable.

Before I took my second ride, I really wanted the change in posture to make all the difference. I wanted the GT, and even brought my check book, ready to trade my LT (who now has a new name) for the GT.

Perhaps in time, I would have gotten used to the new ergonomics, but it was too pricey an expirement to take. Sometimes, you gotta try, and in so doing I realized just how great a bike the LT is.

Big Momma is happy (my bike), and so am I.

She may be a big girl, but she's my big girl.
BT,DT,RWTGT (really wanted the GT) -- but a test ride sed "'06LT for me!" too So fear not, yer not alone

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 3:16 pm

I may be with you.

Tom Gallo is a good friend & he's been after me to just dump the LT & get a GT. Well, today things lined up with me havin' some time & the local dealer havin' an '06 that I could demo. I can't say for sure, but I may have gotten the GT out of my system.

To be fair, it's a great bike. It just may not be what I'm lookin' for. The motor is great! More power than's actually needed (not more than you would want), & smooth! The narrow profile & loss of weight make it easy to sit & handle, & the seat is no worse than some other new models. Besides, it would probably be replaced soon. The instrument cluster gives you all the info you need, & wind protection was good except that I could see the benefit in the larger windshield some have gone to.

On the down side was David Shealy's problem with the tweaky throttle, & some others problem with the clunky shift. I figured the throttle problem was from David being off bikes for a while, but soon found that he had a valid point. The throttle response is too touchy, both up & down, for casual street riding. It's fine if you're riding quick (not hot roding), but a little touchy trying to be casual, in traffic, on a bumpy street.

The eager motor makes 1 st. gear jumpy in stop & go traffic, but simply starting out in second cures that. The motor will handle second gear starts as well as most bikes handle first gear. I kicked it up to 6 th. at 40 mph. & rolled the throttle on to see what happens. It's a little slow for about 3 seconds, then it pulls strong enough that I exceded the "ticket safe zone" in seconds & had to back off. No lugging, no problems, plenty of power!

The next thing was the clunky shift. It's there, & part of the solution has been given: Don't pull the clutch all the way. Shift using just a little clutch. The other part of the solution is to never shift anywhere below 4000 rpm. 'Course the person who discovered the first part may never have experienced a shift below 4K...........

The ESA was interesting but didn't impress me as much as I expected. Of course it was a used bike, but pretty lightly used. Turbulance from large trucks on the interstate was more noticeable than on the LT or a Harley, but nothing too concerting. Moving the bars back would improve the riding position, but they're also too narrow. Not sure what you could do about that.

I'll go back with my wife for a two-up test, but right now it's not looking like what I want. I remember my test ride when I bought the LT. Within the first half mile I was saying to myself, "I can't change to this big plastic behemoth"! By the end of the ride I had completely changed my mind! That didn't happen today...........

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Jinks, you need to ride an 07, all the above but the windshield thang is cured.

Stefab, at the end of the day, what makes you happy is all that matters. Well, not to me, but you understand.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Jinks, you need to ride an 07, all the above but the windshield thang is cured.
I'd love to. 'Course that would probably take a ride to Atlanta, & I just don't have the time right now. I'd like to see those issues resolved 'cause it is quite a bike.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 5:17 am

Greetings all.

I just attended a BMW ride day here in Adelaide South Australia. I was lucky enough to try a new LT and a new GT. I jumped straight off my '99 LT onto the new one and once under way and approaching a stop, I almost put myself over the bars. Man, those linked brakes have awesome power. I loved the extra power of that motor over my '99 LT too. It really was Mr Smoothy. I'm now just a little jealous of you guys with the LT with the more powerful motor.

Then I threw a leg over the GT with that across the frame motor. How much power does a big motorcycle need? I was stunned beyond belief! The thing pulls from idle to redline. At some stages we were cruising at around 120 (relax, we have kph in Australia) and discovered the screen was next to useless for me. I played with different heights but could find no level where it actually shielded me from the wind blast. Short of that, I absolutely enjoyed every minute of the GT. But I will always miss the wind protection the LT offers.

Does BMW plan to fit that across the frame motor in the next LT. Could you imagine that motor detuned to generate more torque for our favourite heavyweight BMW? Wouldn't that be something?

Kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 6:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
Could you imagine that motor detuned to generate more torque for our favourite heavyweight BMW? Wouldn't that be something?
The GT motor is already detuned (a detuned S motor) -- I'd bet on it slotting into the next LT with little/no change.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:37 am

I rode 3 different LTs between 2002 and 2005. Sold each for varying reasons (financial, frustration, etc.). In Sept 2005 I listened to the 'call of the wild' and bought myself a 2004 GT. Rode it for a year and had lots of fun with it. But today I'm back in the saddle of a 2005 LT and the GT is up for sale.
IMHO you can't beat the ergonomics of the LT when it comes to long distance ride. By 'long distance' I mean 500+ miles a day for several days.
The first thing I had to install on the GT was a handlebar riser. It was the 30mm version, the tallest that one can install without replacing cables (throttle, brake, clutch). Still it didn't make the GT near as comfy as the LT.

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
I may be with you.

Tom Gallo is a good friend & he's been after me to just dump the LT & get a GT.
Hello Jinks!

Well of course! how else am I going to get to ride one every now and then <grin>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
Tom Gallo is a good friend
You admit that in an open forum?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in