2004 K1200LT Idle - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 2 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 12:17 am Thread Starter

2004 K1200LT Idle

Does anyone know if i can adjust the idle on my k1200lt It was stored this summer i took it out the other day an it keeps staling when i come to a stop I did have a dead battery before I charged it up to start it up is there something i need to reset to correct this problem

Last edited by Sony7662; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 12:37 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 1:17 pm

Re: 2004 K1200LT Idle

You can adjust idle via the throttle linkage. However, I would drain the fuel if it's old, put in fresh high octane fuel and add a good additive/injector cleaner first otherwise your idle will likely be high when it rids itself of the old fuel, and cleans the suspected varnish from the fuel system. You may also want to check/change the air filter while you're there.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 1:30 pm

If it idled properly when you put it away, you should not have to make any manual adjustments to any linkages unless something is now broken. I would do a TPS reset seeing the battery died. The procedure it to turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Turn the throttle to full open and then return to idle stop. repeat 2 more times for 3 total, full to idle and then turn off the ignition.

Then start your bike as normal. If it is adjusted properly, you should not have to touch the throttle to have it start and idle normally. It may have lost its setting when the battery died.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
If it idled properly when you put it away, you should not have to make any manual adjustments to any linkages unless something is now broken. I would do a TPS reset seeing the battery died. The procedure it to turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Turn the throttle to full open and then return to idle stop. repeat 2 more times for 3 total, full to idle and then turn off the ignition.

Then start your bike as normal. If it is adjusted properly, you should not have to touch the throttle to have it start and idle normally. It may have lost its setting when the battery died.
+1

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony7662 View Post
Does anyone know if i can adjust the idle on my k1200lt It was stored this summer i took it out the other day an it keeps staling when i come to a stop I did have a dead battery before I charged it up to start it up is there something i need to reset to correct this problem
I also have a 2004. My battery died,I replaced the battery. Did the TPS reset as instructed. It would not idle properly. Kept stalling. Finally TVA had to be manually adjusted by dealer. The tech told me. This is the 2nd 2004 he had come in for the same thing.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I also have a 2004. My battery died,I replaced the battery. Did the TPS reset as instructed. It would not idle properly. Kept stalling. Finally TVA had to be manually adjusted by dealer. The tech told me. This is the 2nd 2004 he had come in for the same thing.
Sorry but there is EITHER a miss in communications in the work done OR the dealer loves to see you:
The TVA (ilde actuator) adjustment is not affected by a a battery replace (or battery off for long time). There is only a mechanical adjustment screw (hidden behind TB) that does not vary with time unless bike has a lot of years/mileage. In case of wear (many.. many years and miles) the TVA can get a bit worn and slow to react.

The only "potential" cause in your case could be that TVA was already a bit off (or worn) and Motronic had "learned" to compensate. When battery is removed for more than 10 minutes (or ECU fuse) the Motronic looses these learned values. Doing a few rides should let the system relearn (no need to see dealer).

SECOND "potential" cause would be throttle-cables that do not let the idle stop click/close at low position - too much friction: in such case when ignition is turned ON, the EFI system sees the throttle actually a bit opened - it should be at idle stop AND rider should NOT touch throttle during start. Correct throttle-cables free play and proper cables routing is documented in CLYMER and BMW shop-manual.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Oct 5th, 2016 at 11:49 am.
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 12:09 pm

Nope. This is the first dealer visit in 5 years of owning.Bike ran fine before battery problem. Did Tps reset twice.Rode for a week and computer never relearned.Dealer visit was necessary. Wouldn't idle.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Nope. This is the first dealer visit in 5 years of owning.Bike ran fine before battery problem. Did Tps reset twice.Rode for a week and computer never relearned.Dealer visit was necessary. Wouldn't idle.
Thanks for this update.... however I still maintain there is no such thing as "a TVA adjustment" UNLESS something was moved or touched on Throttle-Bodies. A battery replace does not count as-far-as BOSCH-Motronic EFI is concerned (when memory is erased). OF COURSE, I am assuming idle was OK before battery was replaced.

May I ask: Do you remember what they wrote on Invoice: time, cost and parts if any ?

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thanks for this update.... however I still maintain there is no such thing as "a TVA adjustment" UNLESS something was moved or touched on Throttle-Bodies. A battery replace does not count as-far-as BOSCH-Motronic EFI is concerned (when memory is erased). OF COURSE, I am assuming idle was OK before battery was replaced.

May I ask: Do you remember what they wrote on Invoice: time, cost and parts if any ?
Yes. Idle was good before battery swap. Don't remember what was on invoice. I just know he (Zak the tech said) this is the 2nd 04 LT with this same issue. And he's happy to see less and less of the LT's . He's not fond of working on them.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Yes. Idle was good before battery swap. Don't remember what was on invoice. I just know he (Zak the tech said) this is the 2nd 04 LT with this same issue. And he's happy to see less and less of the LT's . He's not fond of working on them.
James, I remember this post and according to that other thread, your TPS was adjusted not the TVA according to your bill and that makes much more sense.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...s-problem.html

Quote from that thread.

Ok. #1) The bill reads... Confirmed customer complaint. Bike does not idle well.
Tried TPS relearn,Did not work,will have to reset TPS.
Reset TPS sensor.bike now idles correctly. Test ride ,all good. Req= 2.50 Fill 2.50
MC labor. $77.00 hr. $192.50
#2 The bad Idle started after battery change. Never got any better or worse.
#3) Idle increasd very little. Enough to hear it.

This is not a normal occurrence as batteries are swapped and disconnected all the time for one reason or another.
sailor likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Yep. That was it. All I know is it's running normal again.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Yep. That was it. All I know is it's running normal again.
JAMES,
I know you did not mean any harm in your earlier post. HOWEVER my goal is often to correct invalid or confusing info on K1200LT/RS repairs related to these issues.

Please understand that I am NOT trying to be right or to correct you... what I am trying to achieve is make sure members reading these posts now (on in future) are not mislead in a certain direction to fix a similar problem.

The TVA (idle-actuator) and the TPS are very different parts and have have very different functions. The only common link is they are both attached to throttle-bodies (TB).

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2016, 9:10 pm

No offense meant or taken.Why would I? You've helped me before and others also. I'm just glad it's running good. Just finished a 1800 mile trip. She ran great. Rode the hell out the LT. And the dealer was reasonable and straight up with me. And didn't cost me that much. I do believe it was a TB adjustment. I just remember Zak saying he tweaked it just a little at a time. Take it for a test run. Get back,leave it idle. Repeated again till he had it idling at about 1100 rpm. He didn't charge me for the extra hrs he spent saying he quoted 3/4 hrs. He spent almost 2 days on/off on it. Stating it took awhile to where he was satisfied.
sailor and johnbaker15 like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Oct 5th, 2016 at 9:22 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in