Miles on brake pads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 7:51 am Thread Starter

Miles on brake pads

I was reading another thread on brake pads and saw people replacing them at around 10,000 miles. I just had mine inspected at the dealer and they said that at 35000 miles I had about half of the life left. I was waiting to replace them with the EBC pads due to the squeeling but the original pads don't seem to be wearing very fast. I think I'll replace them anyway, but was wondering how many miles most of you get on a set?

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
I was reading another thread on brake pads and saw people replacing them at around 10,000 miles. I just had mine inspected at the dealer and they said that at 35000 miles I had about half of the life left. I was waiting to replace them with the EBC pads due to the squeeling but the original pads don't seem to be wearing very fast. I think I'll replace them anyway, but was wondering how many miles most of you get on a set?
shoot it all depends, I have replaced them at 24k miles only because i was headed out for a trip and I have replaced them inside 10k miles just a little over half wore out, (for the same reason getting ready to leave for a trip or i would have left them a tad further)
it just depends on if your riding mostly insterstates, around town, up in the mountains, riding hard or just very easy on your brakes.

Tom (who needs to replace his front pads now)

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 8:19 am

I had 130,000 miles on the rear pads in my 2000 and they showed very little wear. Hardly ever used them. I had problems with the rear brake at 5,000 miles, and had the rotor, pads and maybe caliper replaced. Service manager advised not to use the rear brake as they seem to be troublesome and don't do much anyway.

I think I replaced the front pads every 15-20,000 miles.

On my new 2006, the brakes are linked, so I expect the fronts to last a little longer and the rear to be replaced more frequently, even though I just apply the front brake lever. I've got 9,000 miles on the bike and about to take a short trip. I better check and see how they are doing.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 9:58 am

That does vary a lot based on riding style and road conditions. I usually replace them about every other tire change. If the wear changes significantly and your riding hasn't watch for brake problems. My rears were wearing very fast and a comment about it on another site earned me a rather rude response about being to stupid to brake properly which is NOT the case. Turned out the caliper pistons were sticking and finally caused the rotor to turn blue.
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:00 am

Brake Pads

I usually get over 35,000 miles on pads.

I replaced the original front pads on my 99 with ECB pads. After about 5,000 miles they began to rattle. It was irritating enough to replace them with BMW pads. The BMW pads I used didn't squeak.
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:31 am

I changed my front pads in June when they had 24k on them. Three of the pads had about half of their life left but the other one was worn down to the backing plate (the piston was not retracting). The rear brakes did not have any appreciable wear on them at that time.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:34 am

i have a 2000 lt. it doesn't have linked front and rear brakes. i get about 12k on the front. on the rear, i have yet to replace them with about 40k on them. omurphy
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I changed my front pads in June when they had 24k on them. Three of the pads had about half of their life left but the other one was worn down to the backing plate (the piston was not retracting). The rear brakes did not have any appreciable wear on them at that time.
Alan - what wuz your solution to "the piston was not retracting"? I think ole Toad has the same malady. I can hardly spin the wheel freely when it's off the ground, and the pads look worn un-evenly. I'm on the way to see Hank for a tire problem, so I'll ax him to check thangs - just wonderin' if you did a fix? TIA.
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Service manager advised not to use the rear brake as they seem to be troublesome and don't do much anyway.
I really hate that faulty logic. It ranks right up there with "don't use the front brakes or you'll flip over the handlebars." Why would you intentionally not use all the brakes that are available to you?

Admittedly, the rear brakes on my '99 LT became much more effective when I replaced the stock pads with EBC pads. But I always use both brakes, even though my '02 has the Integral ABS. Some conditions call for more front brake, and some call for more rear. A skilled rider should know the difference, and should practice with both brakes so that it just becomes habit. Ignoring half your brakes is just plain dumb.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Alan - what wuz your solution to "the piston was not retracting"? I think ole Toad has the same malady. I can hardly spin the wheel freely when it's off the ground, and the pads look worn un-evenly. I'm on the way to see Hank for a tire problem, so I'll ax him to check thangs - just wonderin' if you did a fix? TIA.
I just used a can of brake parts cleaner and a brush to cleanup the piston. There appeared to be some sort of buildup on the piston that came off fairly easily with the cleaner. I have been checking for brake dragging fairly regularly. So far so good.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #11 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Could it be Toad's revenge for not riding enough?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 8:53 pm

STOP taking the front wheel off the Ground?? Dick's Wheelies !

Quote:
Alan - I think ole Toad has the same malady. I can hardly spin the wheel freely when it's OFF the ground??
- just wonderin' if you did a fix? TIA.
Dick,

One fix? Is to Stop doing them Wheelies
that's one way to save on them expensive $$ brake pads ....

See ya Wednesday??

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #13 of 14 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Rear Brake Pads

I've noticed on my bike 2000LT, that there seems to be a lot of brake dust on my rear wheel. I bought the bike second hand and don't know how many K's are one the brakes. The bike has 24,000 miles on it. Pads are almost down to their limit. Just wondering if this is common with some pads.
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
I just replaced my original fronts at 102K. The rear was replaced at 48K getting ready to swap out the rear rotor and pads as the bike has developed the "rotor rattle/clang".

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in