• 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By GaryEm
  • 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 3 Post By CharlieVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Final Drive rebuild

I just got my 2001 K1200lt Final Drive rebuilt by Bombars Beemers in North Carolina, www.bombarsbeemers.com 919-450-7450
they did a great job and now installed my bike it feels like new when twisting the throttle on. Cost for repair with shipping $907us (mine was a total re-build) could be lower. Just wanted to put this out there for other people that end up in my spot down the road wondering what to do or where to go for a repair job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Re: K1200LT Final Drive rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper24 View Post
I just got my 2001 K1200lt Final Drive rebuilt by Bombars Beemers in North Carolina, Home 919-450-7450
they did a great job and now installed my bike it feels like new when twisting the throttle on. Cost for repair with shipping $907us (mine was a total re-build) could be lower. Just wanted to put this out there for other people that end up in my spot down the road wondering what to do or where to go for a repair job.
I hope it serves you well.

For anyone else looking for final drive repair, on this site, Saddleman (Dave in NC), is the guy to go to.

I'm pretty sure Dave would have been cheaper, and no one is more knowledgeable or meticulous in rebuilding K1200LT final drives.

Much information about final drive failure and repair on this site, but unfortunately newcomers don't see that info without effort in searching the old threads.
LAF, ProfSnape and JaL3_SD like this.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Garage

My '01 has almost 21,000, should I consider finding a second drive and having it rebuilt so when I do have this issue I will have a swap? Any advice on this?

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 4:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper24 View Post
I just got my 2001 K1200lt Final Drive rebuilt by Bombars Beemers in North Carolina, Home 919-450-7450
Rather pricey. I had Tom Cutter rebuild mine, pinion seal, large bearing and seal, set proper preload, etc. I forget exact price, but I think $600 or so. I later found that Saddleman would do it for probably less than that

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSnape View Post
My '01 has almost 21,000, should I consider finding a second drive and having it rebuilt so when I do have this issue I will have a swap? Any advice on this?
I did my own crown bearing as a preemptive strike and what I found was it was close to .2mm over shimmed so it would have failed me in time. I did not do anything else at that time but I do have a picture of my pinion and I believe I can see the creeping roller race issue.

Since I do not have the skills of Dave ( Saddleman ) I bought a cheap one off flebay and pulled it apart completely, making the proper holding jig and modifying tools to be able to properly disassemble and reassemble it. What I found was the bearings and races were all in good shape and all the shimming was optimal. This is possibly one Dave did for someone else that found its way to me but I have no way of telling other than it is all set up properly. Even so, it is my goto spare as nothing was replaced in it other than the pinion seal as there were signs of a leak there but the oil could have come from anywhere after it was removed from the bike and sold to me.

You can get them fairly cheap but without a proper inspection, you have no real way of telling if it will last. You could do it 2 ways if you really want a spare and don't have the tools to rebuild one yourself which I don't recommend now that I have done one unless you have the proper skills and knowledge. I am a tinkerer so it was a learning experience for me to see if I could do it.

If you have a no riding season, pull it and ship it to Dave and save the several hundred on the second one, or keep riding and get a spare and have it rebuilt for the eventuality of a FD failure that may or may not happen any time soon. I have heard that Dave has had some available at times so you might ask him about it.

Now for the advice. Keep the oil changed in your FD and check often for any rear wheel play that can not be traced to the pivot bearings and ride it. If you really want a spare, buy one and send it to Dave or get it from him directly if he has any to spare.
ProfSnape likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Quote:
I shipped mine to Dave two years ago before I had a problem It was a little off shim Now on trips with one less thing to think about
ProfSnape likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 11:25 am

Quote:
What I would do:
If planning any long distance riding, I'd have Saddleman rebuild it during the off season. I'd consider it road insurance.

If only riding locally, (not worried about interupting a vacation or trip far from home) and I had access to a trailer, or a road insurance plan, I might just change the gear lube in the final drive ever 3-6 thousand miles (doing with every crankcase oil change is a good way to keep track of it). Look for shiney metal flakes or increasing amounts of grey fuzz on the drain magnet at lube changes.

While I don't have any valid statistics, after doing more than 50 rebuilds, it seems that early bikes like yours fail most often somewhere between 20 and 40K miles.
ProfSnape likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 8:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Either pre-emptive rebuild or just buy a big bearing and carry a few tools with you on your next long trip. See my post on field repair of a rear drive ON the bike without dealer support here. There is always a machine shop in just about every town so there is no reason to pay a huge tow and repair bill. This should get you back on the road in less than 12 hours.
CharlieVT and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 6:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Either pre-emptive rebuild or just buy a big bearing and carry a few tools with you on your next long trip. See my post on field repair of a rear drive ON the bike without dealer support here. There is always a machine shop in just about every town so there is no reason to pay a huge tow and repair bill. This should get you back on the road in less than 12 hours.
This is a really good option, thanks for the reminder of this approach, John.
I rode with a spare crownwheel bearing in my side case for years. I used to joke that carrying a spare crownwheel bearing will impart such good karma over the bike that a failure would never occur anyway.

If someone is going to carry a spare bearing as road insurance, as noted in John's exellent description of the procedure, a preemptive loosening and retightening the brake rotor fasteners prior to the big trip just to ensure it can be done without difficulty.

I have found that in many cases getting the brake rotor off the final drive can be difficult even on the work bench. Because of the Loctitte and corrosion, heat and an impact driver have been needed, and in some cases the hex wrench will strip out the fasteners requiring additional tools.
Patric, saddleman and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 8:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Curtis you are correct as I have had issues with several of those pesky screws. They are only on there to hold the disc in place when you remove the wheel so I agree they should be removed and reinstalled loosely at the next tire change.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in