PR4 Front - ME888 Rear === WoW! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 10:02 am Thread Starter

PR4 Front - ME888 Rear === WoW!

I have some friends coming up to look at leaves this weekend and with the ME880 toast on the LT and probably next week sometime before the ME888 fronts start shipping I decided to put a Michelin PR4 on the front. Good NIGHT! What a perfect combo. I spooned it on this morning along with new EBC HH pads then took the bike around the block. Bare in mind that around the block for me is twelve miles of some of gnarliest mountain roads. Or twelve miles of constant smiles.
I am sure I won't see the high miles, 4K, which I got out of the ME880. But the howling is gone. The bike feels good in a full lean. Well, until that center stand crap starts dragging.

I will be on the Cherohala tomorrow, so that will be the best test.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: PR4 Front - ME888 Rear === WoW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
I have some friends coming up to look at leaves this weekend and with the ME880 toast on the LT and probably next week sometime before the ME888 fronts start shipping I decided to put a Michelin PR4 on the front. Good NIGHT! What a perfect combo. I spooned it on this morning along with new EBC HH pads then took the bike around the block. Bare in mind that around the block for me is twelve miles of some of gnarliest mountain roads. Or twelve miles of constant smiles.
I am sure I won't see the high miles, 4K, which I got out of the ME880. But the howling is gone. The bike feels good in a full lean. Well, until that center stand crap starts dragging.

"Well, until that center stand crap starts dragging." Lol...made me laugh and fondly remember my LT. First it's the center stand, then it's the pegs, then you're into the lower body work!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 12:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

On my '02 I used to scrape all the time and had rashes on the lowers. On the '05, it is a rare occurrence and a bit troubling if I touch. The front shows I'm using just about all of the tire that has groves on both sides.

Mike, I don't seem to recall you using the Bridgestone B-20 front like is commonly recommended here for better tire life. I suppose it is considered too hard for what you do.

I too am SHOCKED when someone reports 19k out of either tire. I am lax about checking pressures and bad about late breaking in to the middle of the corners but get in the 12k range on either end.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 6:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
On my '02 I used to scrape all the time and had rashes on the lowers. On the '05, it is a rare occurrence and a bit troubling if I touch. The front shows I'm using just about all of the tire that has groves on both sides.

Mike, I don't seem to recall you using the Bridgestone B-20 front like is commonly recommended here for better tire life. I suppose it is considered too hard for what you do.

I too am SHOCKED when someone reports 19k out of either tire. I am lax about checking pressures and bad about late breaking in to the middle of the corners but get in the 12k range on either end.
It is the rear 020 that is recommended for mileage. The front recommendation is still the 880, at least until the 888 is released.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 8:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have the PR4 GTs on both ends of my K1300GT and really love them they really grip the road.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 9:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post

Ummm, I thought we had to scrub the tires in before starting to scrape pegs?

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #7 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 2:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thank Voyager, I had it backwards. What I get for posting after being at Oktoberfest all afternoon. As an attempt to save myself, might the Stone on front give him better grip since it wears faster than the Metzler? He seems to be more interested in grip more than life.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 7:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
Thank Voyager, I had it backwards. What I get for posting after being at Oktoberfest all afternoon. As an attempt to save myself, might the Stone on front give him better grip since it wears faster than the Metzler? He seems to be more interested in grip more than life.
I am running the Stones front and rear at the moment. I don't see any significant difference in grip as compared to the 880s. The rear definitely lasts longer and the front seems to be wearing faster. I never had an issue with the 880s grip wise. They would easily allow peg scraping angles and wet grip was fine. I know many complain about them, but I don't think the LT allows a lean angle that will seriously tax any tire.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Ummm, I thought we had to scrub the tires in before starting to scrape pegs?
This PR4 is a used tire. And yes, you should always scrub new tires.
Fortunately, I change hundreds of tires per year. I always have decent used tires on the shelf.
I wouldn't mount a New PR4 on a bike while waiting for another tire to become available.
PR4 are very expensive.

Except for the rear 69 weight rating, the PR4 would be a great set of tires for the LT.
The way most people ride their LT, the 58 front and 69 rear weight rating would be more than safe at highway speeds...

I am not a fan on anything Bridgestone.
My bike is For Sale. The next owner will get it with a matching set of ME888.
Once they own it, they can come here and get tire advice.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in