iPhone Hornig Mount for 2008 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 29th, 2016, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

iPhone Hornig Mount for 2008 K1200LT

I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I have searched the threads and can't find anything regarding the use of a Hornig mirror hole GPS Ball mount .

I was searching for a solution today and had no idea I had these holes for mirrors ready to go that I could re-purpose to mount an iPhone. The part seems pretty expensive, but probably worth it if it works. Just wondering if anyone has used this solution and what parts they needed in addition to the mirror mount to get an iPhone attached. Would also love to see pictures.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 29th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Re: iPhone Hornig Mount for 2008 K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsrx7 View Post
I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I have searched the threads and can't find anything regarding the use of a Hornig mirror hole GPS Ball mount .

I was searching for a solution today and had no idea I had these holes for mirrors ready to go that I could re-purpose to mount an iPhone. The part seems pretty expensive, but probably worth it if it works. Just wondering if anyone has used this solution and what parts they needed in addition to the mirror mount to get an iPhone attached. Would also love to see pictures.

Thanks!
I bought some Ball Mount stuff to mount different devices in that location like a camera or my GPS. What I found is just about whatever I mount there blocks access to look in the side mirror so be aware of that issue before you put something there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02093.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	536.5 KB
ID:	116441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02094.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	116449  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 7:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I bought some Ball Mount stuff to mount different devices in that location like a camera or my GPS. What I found is just about whatever I mount there blocks access to look in the side mirror so be aware of that issue before you put something there.
Thanks for the warning Gordon. Have you found an alternate solutions? I already have a gas tank mount for my GPS but I want to be able to use Waze when I ride so I want to mount my iPhone somewhere.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 8:19 am

Quote:
I also have this mount but am about to replace it. It is really hard to see the mirror. I have ordered the mount that attaches to the master cylinder cover. I ordered the one with the ball on the side. I believe this will move it away from the mirror.
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 8:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsrx7 View Post
Thanks for the warning Gordon. Have you found an alternate solutions? I already have a gas tank mount for my GPS but I want to be able to use Waze when I ride so I want to mount my iPhone somewhere.
Some have put shelves on their LT like Dave. Check out his setup in this thread.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ml#post1591433

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Thumbs down Re: iPhone Hornig Mount for 2008 K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman View Post
I also have this mount but am about to replace it. It is really hard to see the mirror. I have ordered the mount that attaches to the master cylinder cover. I ordered the one with the ball on the side. I believe this will move it away from the mirror.
I installed my new mount this afternoon. It is a much nicer setup. It doesn't obscure the mirror at all. Anybody want to buy my old mount?
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Quote:
I installed my new mount this afternoon. It is a much nicer setup. It doesn't obscure the mirror at all. Anybody want to buy my old mount?
Post a picture of it if you can. I may want to do that if it works well,

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 13 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Could you post a picture and a link to the part(s) you bought to make this work?

Last edited by justinsrx7; Oct 1st, 2016 at 1:31 pm.
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 2:18 pm

I've got the off-set RAM mounts on my clutch & brake cylinders. They work great, don't obstruct my view of anything. They look just like the Hornig. RAM lists them at $24 each
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 1st, 2016, 4:09 pm

[QUOTE=bmwcoolk1200;1635065]Post a picture of it if you can. I may want to do that if it works well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	581.9 KB
ID:	116497  
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 9:23 am Thread Starter

[quote=Painterman;1635417]
Quote:
Post a picture of it if you can. I may want to do that if it works well
Thanks so much for posting the pic, that looks like a great solution! I found a video on these mounts in case anyone is interested.
. This is the part number: RAM-B-346 - Offset

Last edited by justinsrx7; Oct 2nd, 2016 at 9:40 am.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 9:44 am Thread Starter

[quote=Painterman;1635417]
Quote:
Post a picture of it if you can. I may want to do that if it works well
In your setup, did you get the small, medium or large double socket ball to hold your phone/gps mount. I am just wondering about clearance between the phone mount and the top of the reservoir. Can you send the model numbers of the arm and phone/gps mounts if you know them? I also wanted to ask about the phone mount. I have seem pictures where people have used additional rubber bands around the type of mount you chose because there are no bottom/top holders (the mounts just contact the device on the sides). The rubber bands are just extra security to insure the phone doesn't fall out if you hit a bump. Does the spring loaded mechanism grab your device securely? Do you get the sense that you would need to take additional measures to secure the device?

Since I wrote this, I did some more research and apparently, the RAM phone cradle has a little bit of movement that can cause your device to tilt horizontally. Some people have also complained about devices falling out of the cradle and smashing. I found a solution for this other than using a rubber band. It's called the "Texel WebGrip Security Tether Cradle Support" and they are available through Amazon. Here's the only video I could find (in English) that demonstrates this cradle support. video

Last edited by justinsrx7; Oct 2nd, 2016 at 1:16 pm.
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 6th, 2016, 10:30 pm

[quote=justinsrx7;1635857]
Quote:

In your setup, did you get the small, medium or large double socket ball to hold your phone/gps mount. I am just wondering about clearance between the phone mount and the top of the reservoir. Can you send the model numbers of the arm and phone/gps mounts if you know them? I also wanted to ask about the phone mount. I have seem pictures where people have used additional rubber bands around the type of mount you chose because there are no bottom/top holders (the mounts just contact the device on the sides). The rubber bands are just extra security to insure the phone doesn't fall out if you hit a bump. Does the spring loaded mechanism grab your device securely? Do you get the sense that you would need to take additional measures to secure the device?

Since I wrote this, I did some more research and apparently, the RAM phone cradle has a little bit of movement that can cause your device to tilt horizontally. Some people have also complained about devices falling out of the cradle and smashing. I found a solution for this other than using a rubber band. It's called the "Texel WebGrip Security Tether Cradle Support" and they are available through Amazon. Here's the only video I could find (in English) that demonstrates this cradle support. video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r-IapXetT0.
I bought mine for a iPhone 5se off the rack at Eurosport Asheville BMW, it came with the tether for about 26.00. I have ridden with it tethered and untethered and it holds pretty firm. I do have a phone cover which I think helps with the gripping. They do sell the tethers separately.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in