ME888 Front Tire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

ME888 Front Tire

Mike-
Thank you for your email to Jake Wilson!
120/70B-17 (58V) Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall Temporarily out of stock Expected in stock Oct 01, 2016.
The expected in stock date on the product's info page is when we expect to receive that product but is subject to change without notice by the manufacturer or by other unforeseen delays.

It is now listed for sale: 120/70B-17 (58V) Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall
Part# 1487810021

Unfortunately, the front is still only a 58V. I have completely destroyed my front ME880 with 4K miles.
The rear ME888 is holding up well with my relaxed riding style.

I am actually considering the ME888 in a 130/80B-17 (65H) Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall
Part# 1487810013
The weight rating is considerably higher. 65 (639 lbs.)
Also it will make the bike a little bit higher off of the ground. Anything to get this bike to lean over farther in the curves!

I am pretty sure the mix of 880 up front and the 888 on the rear makes the bike feel like poop at low speeds.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Re: ME888 Front Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
Mike-
Thank you for your email to Jake Wilson!
120/70B-17 (58V) Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall Temporarily out of stock Expected in stock Oct 01, 2016.
The expected in stock date on the product's info page is when we expect to receive that product but is subject to change without notice by the manufacturer or by other unforeseen delays.

It is now listed for sale: 120/70B-17 (58V) Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall
Part# 1487810021

Unfortunately, the front is still only a 58V. I have completely destroyed my front ME880 with 4K miles.
The rear ME888 is holding up well with my relaxed riding style.

I am actually considering the ME888 in a 130/80B-17 (65H) Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall
Part# 1487810013
The weight rating is considerably higher. 65 (639 lbs.)
Also it will make the bike a little bit higher off of the ground. Anything to get this bike to lean over farther in the curves!

I am pretty sure the mix of 880 up front and the 888 on the rear makes the bike feel like poop at low speeds.
Maybe. But it's a fine grade of poop. I run that combo and have no issues. Also, how do you only get 4 k out of a front 880? I just retired one at a little over 19K.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

I don't ride like you do. I will quit riding if I get 19K out of a motorcycle tire. It will be time for me to buy a convertible when that day comes.
My road conditions are far superior to everything Idaho has. And NO. I don't ride the Dragon. Too many guys getting 19K out of their tires on that road.

If you use a motorcycle and learn what it can do at high speeds and low speeds then it is easy to tell when a tire is not performing properly. Instead of just living with the poor feedback.
Some people buy motorcycles and drive them from place to place and get enjoyment out of that...
Others of us get a motorcycle and ride it.
I have a huge grin in my helmet when I am at a full lean with a knee puck on the ground and the bike is bouncing off the rev limiter... Try it! - Not on an LT though. You will kill yourself!
Life is just too short to ride the speed limit or less everywhere you go.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Quote:
I don't ride like you do. I will quit riding if I get 19K out of a motorcycle tire. It will be time for me to buy a convertible when that day comes.
My road conditions are far superior to everything Idaho has. And NO. I don't ride the Dragon. Too many guys getting 19K out of their tires on that road.

If you use a motorcycle and learn what it can do at high speeds and low speeds then it is easy to tell when a tire is not performing properly. Instead of just living with the poor feedback.
Some people buy motorcycles and drive them from place to place and get enjoyment out of that...
I have a huge grin in my helmet when I am at a full lean with a knee puck on the ground and the bike is bouncing off the rev limiter... Try it! - Not on an LT though. You will kill yourself!
Sounds like you and saddlemen should get together maybe he can give you a few pointers on how to keep tires on your bike to last longer You should just go to the Ironhorse in a couple weeks and maybe he can show you how to ride motorcycle

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Sounds like you and saddlemen should get together maybe he can give you a few pointers on how to keep tires on your bike to last longer You should just go to the Ironhorse in a couple weeks and maybe he can show you how to ride motorcycle

I would love to meet Saddlemen. He has helped me out.
I have done the Iron Horse meet up in the past, many years ago.
I don't do group rides. It is safer and I don't have to participate with putting a guy I just met on the helicopter. I would rather not know the riders name.
During the last LT meet, I had to help remove the black girl's Harley down off the mountain side, so I won't be joining any of that fun on future rides.
I wasn't part of the group or even on a BMW. I am just glad I was in the area and was able to help her. And Really glad she was OK.
We just had a dump truck driver on meth kill a guy on an R1 in that same corner.
I put 20K+ miles per year on seven motorcycles only in these mountains. I am pretty sure I don't need pointers on how to make the tires last longer. It is all the right wrist.
My tires get 1400 miles on any of my other bikes.
Since I change tires, I see a lot of Dragon Slayers who get 600 to 1000 miles out of a set.
So 19K miles on a set is just absurd if you are actually riding the bike! My 2002 LT needed tires every 4K and I know I rode it harder than I can on the 2005.
The 2005 just can't lean over far enough before hard parts start dragging. It sure want to, though. That power center stand cage is all in the way. If only the bike were two inches taller.

Visit
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 11:21 pm

Quote:

Damn! And here I was thinking that I was riding it. Hard.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in