Hannigan SP Sidecar - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dfinazzo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 25th, 2016, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Hannigan SP Sidecar

Anyone know anyone who has installed the Hannigan SP Sidecar to their LT ? Issues, problems, ease of disconnect, etc..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 25th, 2016, 9:57 pm

Re: Hannigan SP Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Anyone know anyone who has installed the Hannigan SP Sidecar to their LT ? Issues, problems, ease of disconnect, etc..
Check out this new member thread. Just what the Dr' ordered.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/new-memb...w-k1200lt.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 25th, 2016, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

tks Gordon !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 12:56 am
Super Moderator

I own a 2009 LT and had installed on it a Hannigan SP2 Sidecar in March of 2015.

The sidecar gets a 95 out of 100 for quality, fit and finish. Only issue is a poor fitment on the hatch in the back and the inability to lock the lid on easily.

The attachment to the LT however gets a 50 out of 100 - fail!! I have an extensive list of installation issues, errors and poor craftsmanship. I essentially had to take the side car off the bike and reinstall to make sure that it was safe and secure. I did not bother to complain to Hannigan but did photo document and correct all issues. Essentially it appears to be poor quality control and not having work checked.

At the time of ordering I was contemplating having the sidecar installed just south of Minneapolis by one of their certified installers however the factory told me to get it installed in Murray, KY since they had better LT experience.

Overall we are very happy with the sidecar rig - here are a few of the items that was ordered on the sidecar:

- Open concept with soft side windows
- Spoiler with brake light
- Seat belt
- Steer Lite kit (a must have)
- Did not have the blower fan installed (received a credit)
- Color matched paint job

Already had Wilbers on the bike so I did not need to upgrade the shocks.

Added:
- LED interior lighting in trunk and front interior - their trunk light is old, tired & junk
- Powerlet on the dash for charging
- Power connection on the dash for USB charging of mobile devices - phone, GPS, iPads
- Connection to the AutoCom intercom system
- cup holder
- A Shinko SR741 Series Tire - 130/70-17 rear tire on the front, it fits with no mods
Lots of trikes and sidecar guys are using this tire for several reasons

Issues:
- The trunk lock is also old and works poorly.
- The lid requires redesign as any amount of rain it leaks - it leaks a lot
I use black Gorilla Tape once rain is upon us . . . to seal things up!!
- Last item that bugs me is that the sidecar rides at a slight tilt
Once I have more time on my hands I will correct that as well

Reason we got the sidecar was that my pillion rode on the back of an LT since 2003 and we finally looked to improve her riding experience now she can sleep safely, prepare food for both of us, read her iPad and Facetime with the kids, and bundle up when its get cold, rainy or windy and ride for very long distances with no issues!!

In the future I may convert the rear tire to a car tire but I am not putting enough miles on it to justify!!

To remove sidecar from the bike all you need to do is remove is 4 bolts, disconnect 1 hydraulic fitting and 1 electrical connector. Do not plan on riding the bike unless you also remove the Steer Lite hardware and connections of your brake lines up front but that would be fairly easy - it just takes time. Their hardware is an aluminum plate and taking that off and on may wear out the taped screw fitting in the plate.
Patric likes this.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Sep 26th, 2016 at 1:05 am. Reason: Grammar
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 9:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks for great response and critical, need-to-know info ! Ride safe, Jim

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #6 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2016, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Below is a list of questions I sent to Hannigan, after reviewing feedback and other sources I could find. The response from their production manager follows each item from my original list. Any feedback would be appreciated...and thanks for your inputs again ! Ride safe, Jim

I have a few questions based on current owners remarks of the SP Sidecar, if you could provide answers that show Hannigan has addressed these issues with the unit.

1. poor fitment on the hatch in the back and the inability to lock the top lid on easily.

Nothing has changed with the hatch or lid, as this is the first complaint I have heard of this issue.

2. The attachment of the sidecar to the LT however gets a 50 out of 100 - fail!! I have an extensive list of installation issues, errors and poor craftsmanship. I essentially had to take the side car off the bike and reinstall to make sure that it was safe and secure. I did not bother to complain to Hannigan but did photo document and correct all issues. Essentially it appears to be poor quality control and not having work checked.. (This comment direct from a recent new owner)

I would like to know the name of this customer and find out where he had the sidecar installed. If there any pic`s of these issues I would like to see them also, so we can address this issue as to not let it happen again.

3. Is it true that not all dealers have adequate knowledge, when working with the BMW LT. Knowledge that the dealers poses depends on the amount and the frequency of installs they have done. and that Hannigan recommends coming directly to KY factory for sidecar installations to the BMW LT..

Yes if at all possible we recommend having the install done at the factory.

4. Is it recommended to upgrade from factory shocks on the LT, before installing/using the sidecar.

Yes

5. Is trunk and interior LED lighting up to date technology, or old school, low output units.

Old school

6. Has the trunk lock issue been addressed.

What are the issues that need addressing?

7. Has top water seal leakage issue been improved, some users have reported using tape on outside, after closure, to seal against leaks during rain.

In the past we have had issues with the roof leaking. We have worked diligently to improve the seal of the roof. As of now it appears to not be an issue.

8. Some have reported a tilt of the sidecar, which requires modifications to correct to level ride, after installation from authorized shop.

Im not sure what your meaning or amount of tilt is related to the sidecar. When we install the car to the bike a quarter inch of tilt is set to the sidecar, this is normal. Also the bike is tilted 2* to the left for handling.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in