Lost Left Side Speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Lost Left Side Speakers

Just returned from a ride in the hills and noticed that I no longer had music coming from my left side speakers. I have searched site FAQs and recent threads but can't find anything regarding the loss of balance control with the radio/speakers. The problem seems to be intermittent as I'll go over a bump and the speakers will come alive and then disappear again. I would assume it is a loose connection, or a short somewhere. Appreciate the help.

Scott

2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock."
Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Would start checking the connections plugs first. We have had problems with corrosion or other bad contact issues in the plugs before. A lot of us have gone through and pulled them apart and coated all the contacts with dielectric grease. The rear plug is under the pillion seat which is not hard to get too. The others are located under the left hand side of the stingray. This requires removal of all the lower tupperware. If your going to go that far you might as well remove the housing ( Stingray) and coat all the connections back there as well. If BMW had used better plating such as gold we would not have these problems. If all this still does not fix your audio problem perhaps the left channel has burned out somehow. Not sure if a multimeter can used to check for wattage output at the speakers..........Good Luck I had my Radio replaced on my 02 just before the warranty ran out for terrible audio.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 8:00 am

If you ever find the problem, post the answer here. My left side is out as well.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The left side on mine is out too. I have pulled, cleaned, and greased the radio connectors, and control element; swapped left and right speaker leads; and concluded the radio is kaput. This is a single CD radio which replaced the original cassette version under warranty less than two years ago. That is fortunate since the replacement carries a two year warranty.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Left Side speakers

About 2 months ago my left side also began to work intermittently, my problem was fixed when I put a zip tie around the middle connecting plug on the left side of the stingray. The zip tie must be pulled tight to pull the two halves together and hold them tight.

Once you get to the connections you can jiggle them by hand to see which one is loose.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

More Information

Certainly appreciate your experience, but here is some more info. The last two days I've done some additional observations. When I start the bike cold on the centerstand all of the speakers work, both sides, but after 4-5 minutes at idle the front left side goes out and after another 10 minutes the rear left side disappears and can't be coaxed back. After several hours of the bike sitting I'll start her up again and the same behavior will repeat itself, all speakers work, then the left front disappears and then the rear. Bizarre.

Scott

2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock."
Will Rogers
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 8:01 am

Did we solve this problem

Has anybody solved this problem yet.

Thanks
Charles
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

When Iron Horse in Tucson replaced my radio with its dead left channel they also found the control element, the thing on the stringray with the buttons, to have no fader control. This control element is subject to water leakage which I assume shorted out or contributed to the fader failing. Maybe the problem is here if its not in the radio itself.

scot1775, if you turn the radio on, but not the engine, do the left side speakers drop out? Trying to rule out vibration as a cause of a short or loosening connection.

Motor On ,/'

post #9 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 4:22 pm

Garage
Before you go crazy, did you disconnect the battery for say an hour? This would reset the radio.

I was told it might work. It didn't on my LT and now I have take her apart to try and fix it. However, it might work for yours.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #10 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 12:09 am

left side deaf now everything is dead

Guys same deal left side speakers are intermittant. They start on but quickly quit. Monday had the radio on when I started the bike and opps now everything is kaput no radio or cd however display light does cmon just no display. Everday rider missin my tunes. Talked to a guy who knows a guy that had audio replaced out of warranty by bmw cant believe everthing you hear but hope springs...

Any help from the wise ones would be greatly appreciated.
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 9:32 am

speakers

Right side went out on my 05 Lt. Dealer replaced CD - radio module under warr, works great now. I hope it lasts, gotta have tunes!
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:36 am

Re: Lost Left Side Speakers

Rbots thanks for the shout. my Bertha Mae Williams K1200lt is an 03 no warranty. Locking for a diagnostic for no display and no play hope like me is not too complicated. Bought her at 11k and now have 29900. Left WPB last july went to houston, phoenix, vegas phoenix, clutch repair at 18k in tuscon, santa fe, denver,akron columbus and back to florida repeat clutch repair and o/w had a great trip with just me the great american landscape and my tunes.

A little help from the wise ones on this forum would be appreciated.
post #13 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:02 pm

My left side stopped working. It ended up being a bad radio. I replaced the unit with a used cassette model. Now all is back to normal.

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 3:45 pm

My rear speakers had been acting funny for many months. I just used the fader for front speakers only.

Today, I had the rear seat off to flush the rear brakes. I had a little DeOxit left, just a spray "contact" cleaner; so, I disconnected all 4 of the twist barrel connectors, shot them up, and the rear speakers are working again.

Until I pulled the sting-ray, shot all of the connectors, and greased them, either the left of right speakers would go out or sounded distorted. With the exception of the rears going distorted and then silent, radio-CD unit has been working fine.

The display is cloudy. But, since I don't use the radio, I haven't worried about it.

I'll be yanking a lot of tupperware soon, so I'll re-do the connectors, and see if some 99% rubbing alcohol will clear up the display.

Imagine that! A cloudy radio display in Tucson AZ!

bob
post #15 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Sounds like we are all faced with the same issue, I have a 03 LT1200 and my left speaker is out.... Does anybody have the fix? Putting the grease on the connections where do I find?
post #16 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 9:16 pm

My left channel/speakers went out 3 days before my warranty expired.

My dealer checked everything and found it to be a bad radio unit.

It was replaced under warranty. I believe the radio unit cost over $1200. The labor was about 4 hours.

Very expensive! Glad it was covered by warranty!
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm

I have a 04 LT and my rear LT speaker is out and the Rt is intermittent. I feel better that I am not alone with the problem; however, I would like my music back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in