Newbie Question! Any major differences between model years 2003 & current? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Question Newbie Question! Any major differences between model years 2003 & current?

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a used touring bike and was wonder if there are any major differences between the 2003 and current models. By major I mean something that would really sway my thinking of just buying a newer bike. I am more familiar with the KS,RS,& GT.
I am looking at a 2003 LTE and just wanted to know if there is a reason to look at any different year or model.

Thanks,
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The three main versions of the LT are '99-'01, then '02-'04 added power Integral brakes, and '05-'07 added more horsepower, hydraulic centerstand, and split the low & high beam. There are other differences, and incremental improvements along the way, but those are the main ones.

More info can be found here and here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 2:29 pm

If you are going to keep it for a while then I do suggest the '05 solely for the hydraulic center stand. If you think that you may want to upgrade in a year or two for the "new" ,hopefully, LT, then live with the '03, pocket 5k and enjoy the ride.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the great info.
I'm on the hunt.
Robert

Thanks,
Robert
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:52 am

There is another perspective to the newer vs. older: warranty coverage or lack thereof. Newer bikes will likely comes with 12-24 months left of the warranty period. A 2003 or even 2004 bike is probably out of warranty (not counting the a rare extended warranty).
It's a gamble: you either pay a few thousand extra up front for piece of mind when you buy a newer bike, or save the same few thousand with an older bike and pay eventual repair costs out of pocket.
If you add the warranty coverage and new feature together then a 2005 LT at the right price might actually look tempting.
BTW, for me the most appealing new feature of the 2005 model was the narrower seat and narrower body below the seat which gives you an extra inch or more of inseam and thus much better traction when you put your feet down.

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Steve,
Thanks, I need the lowest to the ground bike I can get. Inseam is important to me. I will definitely sit on a 2005 and see.
Robert

Thanks,
Robert
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 8:55 am

As indicated previously the changes continued as time went on. By the time you get to later model 2006 bikes, you have the halogen headlight, alarm system, remote locking, and intercom system standard. And most of the warranty left. The 2007 models again modified the standard seat (softer) and power brake operation (less powered).

Of course the most important thing is the color changes every year or two.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in