• 1 Post By TeddyTelco
  • 1 Post By DanDiver
  • 1 Post By want2tour
  • 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By Alpac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 12:10 am Thread Starter

New Review of an Old LT

I read this interesting article about the LT. If you are like me, you read reviews of motorcycles from time to time. (I know, some of you read motorcycle reviews a lot.) It is hard to find a review that is more than a commercial for motorcycles. These reviews usually cover the latest and greatest and then, the writers move on to the next latest and greatest. This article reviews the K1200LT with a second look in 2016 at reviews from over 10 years ago. Interesting.

So, what are your thoughts. As you compare the first impressions you had with the LT from those first few weeks to how you felt about the LT later on. Maybe you changed to a different bike; if so, what prompted you to move away from the LT?

I went from a Jap cruiser (Suzuki c50) to the LT because the LT seemed to make up for the deficiencies of the c50 - miles per tank, comfort at freeway speed, more nimble in the twisties, made for longer trips. The LT is a totally different motorcycle experience as compared to the cruiser. At first, I felt more disconnected from the road. Anyways, the more I ride the LT, the more I like it. Minimal maintenance has been needed so far and I have the metric tools and money saved for parts if I need to do more work on the bike. But, compared to many of you, I am still an LT novice.

So, what are your thoughts and impressions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 12:30 am

Re: New Review of an Old LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
I read this interesting article about the LT. If you are like me, you read reviews of motorcycles from time to time. (I know, some of you read motorcycle reviews a lot.) It is hard to find a review that is more than a commercial for motorcycles. These reviews usually cover the latest and greatest and then, the writers move on to the next latest and greatest. This article reviews the K1200LT with a second look in 2016 at reviews from over 10 years ago. Interesting.

So, what are your thoughts. As you compare the first impressions you had with the LT from those first few weeks to how you felt about the LT later on. Maybe you changed to a different bike; if so, what prompted you to move away from the LT?

I went from a Jap cruiser (Suzuki c50) to the LT because the LT seemed to make up for the deficiencies of the c50 - miles per tank, comfort at freeway speed, more nimble in the twisties, made for longer trips. The LT is a totally different motorcycle experience as compared to the cruiser. At first, I felt more disconnected from the road. Anyways, the more I ride the LT, the more I like it. Minimal maintenance has been needed so far and I have the metric tools and money saved for parts if I need to do more work on the bike. But, compared to many of you, I am still an LT novice.

So, what are your thoughts and impressions?
The last line says it all.

"Despite it’s age the LT holds it’s own with bikes two generations newer. It has aged well and that’s a testament to how well it was originally designed."

Yes, it has some flaws but they can be overcome with a little patience and time ( and money ). I am working through renovating the systems that have failings and hope to have mine for many years and continue to enjoy riding it. It is by far, the best bike I have ever owned, flaws included. Cross country trips may be in my future as many have done before me.
BennyBob and ibbones like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
The last line says it all.

"Despite it’s age the LT holds it’s own with bikes two generations newer. It has aged well and that’s a testament to how well it was originally designed."

Yes, it has some flaws but they can be overcome with a little patience and time ( and money ). I am working through renovating the systems that have failings and hope to have mine for many years and continue to enjoy riding it. It is by far, the best bike I have ever owned, flaws included. Cross country trips may be in my future as many have done before me.
I agree. I bought my LT, an '09, this year. It is everything I wanted. It's a shame it was just abandoned instead of a new and improved version fixing the little problems. The K1600GTL is a great bike but it's just not the same. For good reviews try Minn. Motorcycle Monthly - Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly | Minnesota's Premier Motorcycle Publication

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:42 am

Nice article. I also went from a Japanese cruiser (Valkyrie-still love) to an LT. It has been a wonderful experience for me thus far. Decent power once she is in motion and above 4K. I think the brakes and handling are phenomenal, even though I wish the brakes didn't squeak so much. The amenities (cruise control, adjustable windshield) are really changing how I view long distance riding. I did a 9 hour ride on my Valk last weekend, and while it was a blast, I actively missed my windshield and CC. I also believe the LT is, by far, the best looking tourer or sport-tourer out there. That's not an owner-biased opinion, because I felt that way before I bought it. In fact, looks (and lack of over-saturation) are the reason I chose an LT over a Gold Wing when shopping for a second bike. It was an added bonus that they are so relatively cheap.

I agree that the excessive weight of the LT can be felt, but 7 months into ownership it doesn't really effect me.

If I wrote that article, I would have to mention how insanely difficult it is to hook up an auxiliary component (phone, mp3 player) to the existing stereos on models before 06. I HATE that. I understand that back in 05, it may not have been commonplace like now, but I still hate it. The only other complaints I have are the somewhat uncomfortable factory seat, the cumbersome locking gas cap, and the bad factory headlight. Other than those items, the LT is an amazing bike.

I would give the 05 LT a 8.8/10.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #5 of 20 Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 9:37 pm

Do the gas cap mod. It can either be left unlocked or locked.
gorm5 likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 12:37 am

I picked up my 2000 LT 1 year ago and road home to Oregon from Denver. Unlike those who transitioned from a cruiser to the L I came from another direction. In 2003 I bought a used GL1800, I loved the big wing and the only thing I wished for was an electrically adjustable windscreen. I rode the 4 corners tour on it. 9500 miles in 4 days and it was great, but I sold it. Why? It wasn't exciting to ride. I purchased a 1 year old 2005 Hayabusa. It became my touring/camping rocket ship. Slightly raised bars, lowered pegs, Corbin seat, added cruise control, and soft later hard bags and I loved it. I am now just turning 70 and sold the Busa 1 year ago. I did several week long trips and 3 Saddlesore 1000 rides and was never more comfortable. And it was never boring.
at the age 68 1/2 I found that here in the Northwest I keep getting cold. I could ride the Busa in most rain and stay pretty dry but I was cold. GL1800's are too expensive so I tried the big Lt. I have grown to love her. With an after market lower height screen I can ride in all kinds of weather. She handles well and feels a lot more exciting than the big Honda. The extra weight is tough and I did drop her in a campground this summer. I pulled into a space that was pea gravel and up hill. When I put my feet down and stopped she slid backwards with the front wheel locked and sliding on the gravel. I love the cruise I didn't have to add, the windscreen, the hard bags, the big tank and good mileage, and I removed the trunk.
Quite a machine.
BTW I have done a SS1000 ride on her and it was a piece of cake.
mtrevelino and gorm5 like this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 1:51 am Thread Starter

I had both of my bikes for sale during a garage sale. The price on the LT was quite high but if someone would have paid it, I would have sold it on the spot - to buy a newer version with the money! A longtime LT owner stopped to chat. In his opinion, too many people try to muscle their motorcycles at low speed but riders need to guide the LT at low speed. I think this is an accurate description. As I have put miles on the LT, those low speed parking lots aren't intimidating at all. You can't muscle the LT (well, I have muscled it a couple of times, barely) but you can guide it. So, plan ahead, guide to where you want to go and put your feet down early when coming to a stop takes care of one of the biggest complaints about the LT.
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 7:46 am

9500 miles in 4 days

WOW
pkpr1998 likes this.

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post

The only other complaints I have are the somewhat uncomfortable factory seat, the cumbersome locking gas cap, and the bad factory headlight. Other than those items, the LT is an amazing bike.

I would give the 05 LT a 8.8/10.
The seat is a very easy fix. Headlight is also an easy 1 hour modification.... I really loved the 02 that I had for about 8 years and then traded for an early GTL, as soon as they were announced.

Before the new GTL was announced, I was planning to trade up to a 2010 LT, but with previous mods to my LT and as much as I liked it ( It had been trouble free) it just didn't make sense.

Looking at the GTL's announcement, it had every mod I had made to my LT + what I would have done with a magic wand if it was possible, so the trade, for me was very easy. I ride one-up and would never go back. The GTL has also been trouble free and with about 30K on the clock, and still gets better every day.
gorm5 likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 9:14 am

Garage

This thread leads quite well into the new tread i just started "LT Prices UP"

[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
This thread leads quite well into the new tread i just started "LT Prices UP"
Not sure why that's a good thing. Maybe it mean that people are looking at it as an antique... :-)

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
Not sure why that's a good thing. Maybe it mean that people are looking at it as an antique... :-)
Maybe it will eventually be known as the LT Classic
DanDiver likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

yep, maybe i can get one of those cool "antique" tags for my bike...who am I kidding, until last week, the LT was my newest vehicle by several years.
CheezNbeer likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 11:44 pm

I am still impressed with my LT. I've owned it 5 years now. And just finished a 1800 mile trip to Tennesee. Me and several freinds traversed Georgia, NC. Rode Deals Gap, The Cherohala. The LT danced gracefully without complaints. I get invitations and accept test rides for all the new bikes. The Rushmore Harleys. The Victory touring lineup. The new Indians. I have ridden Wings. Those as far as I'm concerned don't outshine the LT. What i mean is. They don't make me think.. Gee. They are way better. I gotta trade up.I just finished a week riding the Smokies with Harleys, Goldwings, Victorys. And these guys run hard. I never felt out performed or overpowered by any of those bikes. The LT more than kept up. Does it have its issues? Sure But all bikes do. It's a testament of how ahead of it's time the LT was. That big girl sure can make magic on twisty roads. Even sportbikes on the pulloffs on the Dragon stared as i ripped thru the switchbacks. She can really lay em down.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Sep 24th, 2016 at 11:58 pm.
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2016, 4:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
The seat is a very easy fix. Headlight is also an easy 1 hour modification.... I really loved the 02 that I had for about 8 years and then traded for an early GTL, as soon as they were announced.

Before the new GTL was announced, I was planning to trade up to a 2010 LT, but with previous mods to my LT and as much as I liked it ( It had been trouble free) it just didn't make sense.

Looking at the GTL's announcement, it had every mod I had made to my LT + what I would have done with a magic wand if it was possible, so the trade, for me was very easy. I ride one-up and would never go back. The GTL has also been trouble free and with about 30K on the clock, and still gets better every day.
Good for you. A couple of years ago on vacation, I rented a 14' dark blue 1600 GTL for a week. Fantastic bike! The amenities were plentiful and virtually clutter-free (awesome wheel). It was so damn quick AND fast once you set it on the speediest settings. The single issue I have with it is the looks. It is a nice looking bike, but I believe the 05+ LT's are downright beautiful. If I ever have big problems with the LT, I will likely get the 1600.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2016, 1:49 pm

I'm so comfortable with the LT handling, that near the end of my recent 5 wk 3 country tour, I actually "got on it" while doing a gravel takeoff toward pavement and had it fishtailing. By the time I hit pavement, I had one foot down as if on a dirt bike and handlebars cocked and tail end 30 degrees out. Surprised myself, but as one who spent many years only riding dirt, it felt good. Was a rocking good time.

Also did 4 unplanned river crossings on the beast. Bacon can do anything but the KLT can do more.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Last edited by want2tour; Sep 25th, 2016 at 1:57 pm.
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
yep, maybe i can get one of those cool "antique" tags for my bike...who am I kidding, until last week, the LT was my newest vehicle by several years.
I just got mine and it's the newest motorcycle I've ever owned. I take that back I had a '14 dirtbike last year. Well at least it's the biggest!

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #18 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 8:39 am

Nice review, thanks for sharing. There are 2 sentences from this review that really summarize my feelings about my 99 LT. The first one being “The best compliment I can pay the LT is that it makes me want to ride more" and the second one "At a time when I love to talk myself into a newer different machine, I still keep coming back to the LT. It offers tremendous value on the market right now".
Thanks to this forum I have ben able to do all the maintenance and repairs on my bike for the last several years and know it very well. It is by far the most confortable bike I have riden. While some time I wish it had a bit more power but other than that it is still a prefect bike for me.
jers99lt likes this.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2016, 1:36 pm

I just shake my head when I hear comments such as were made by the "Engineer" at the end of article. Specifically complaints about where certain components are located and the work involved in servicing the LT. Reminds me of the rant I heard on You Tube from a noted independent tech.

Mechanical design is a compromise at best... competing objectives (cost, performance, aesthetics, manufacturing) usually determine the outcome of say, the placement of the air filter. I would like to hear some ideas from these complainers as to where they would conveniently locate specific maintenance items and not detract from what most agree is a very attractive package.
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE90115B View Post
I just shake my head when I hear comments such as were made by the "Engineer" at the end of article. Specifically complaints about where certain components are located and the work involved in servicing the LT. Reminds me of the rant I heard on You Tube from a noted independent tech.

Mechanical design is a compromise at best... competing objectives (cost, performance, aesthetics, manufacturing) usually determine the outcome of say, the placement of the air filter. I would like to hear some ideas from these complainers as to where they would conveniently locate specific maintenance items and not detract from what most agree is a very attractive package.
There are all kinds of " Engineers " and I agree that where and how things are accessed are a compromise. You just have to wonder if a reshaping of the tank under the covers might allow access to the air filter with removal of the left side cover or a hole under the stingray and not have to pull the tank. Same with the fuel filter but I have no issue with what it takes to replace either of those. It is just time consuming, not particularly difficult. I love the way the bike looks and handles ( above 5mph ). It is a work of art in form and handling for such a large heavy thing and I feel they did a good job on most of it.

What I take issue with is the reliability of some of the subsystems like the final drive with the shimming issue on what should be something that is bullet proof and also the o-ring in the clutch assembly, both of which I have dealt with. The slave cylinder in a sealed cavity where leaks can only find their way to the clutch might be an after thought as who would think that would fail but it does.

We have our own " Engineers" on this forum who have helped us overcome these failings in analyzing the failures and coming up with a solution for most of these subsystems if you are capable and care to implement the changes yourself. No, it isn't easy but I have a much better bike because of their efforts.

I guess what I am saying is, my only complaints are about the subsystems that fail long before their intended design limits, not what it takes to do routine service. Now, if someone could only find a cost effective solution to the I-ABS modules other than removal, I might buy a newer model LT.

JMO

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in