Snow and Mice.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Question Snow and Mice....

Well, today in the northeast (Corning, NY) the snow started to fly and I figured it's time to put the LT to bed for the winter....(or at least until the mid-winter thaw). Last year, I had a nice mouse family invest in comfortable living quarters around my V-Rod's air filter...how nice! This year, in an attempt to evict them from the premises I have laid mouse bait around the garage and also put mothballs (in a bowl) in a couple of the enclosed places like under the seat and in the three compartments.

I'm trying to ensure that the little ba$tard$ don't get in he air filter or other internal parts of the bike. I've found one of the air intakes on the right handside under the tupperware and that a spraypaint can lid fits PERFECTLY over that hole, so I think I'm covered.

The question is: Where else is my perimeter vulnerable? Have i missed a super secret air intake somewhere? I don't have a shop manual yet and since it's only about 3000 miles old (bought in September) I haven't been over it enough to know the innerworkings. Maybe over the winter I'll start peeking under the skirt a little bit.

I've searched the forum for mice and such and found ALL the fun comments about getting cats....no thanks.

Any **other** ideas certainly welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 10:49 am

Mouse deterents

I had a mouse nest under the topcase back of where the charcoal cannister normally resides. The bike was new at the time and the mice chewed the wiring in there. It caused a short in the anti-theft harness (even though I don't have an alarm) resulting in an intermittent starting problem.

Mice seem to like to chew the insulation on new wires, but older wiring doesn't have the same mouse appeal. Seriously, this observation is based on much experience.

Consider an ultrasonic pest deterent device. They don't really get rid of mice in my experience, the mice just go elsewhere. But if you want to keep mice out of the LT, plug in an ultrasonic unit along with your batter tender. The mice will choose to nest somewhere else.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:29 am

I hope you are not using the green mouse pellets. I tried it several times and when the pellets were gone I thought my mouse problem was to.

When I was doing some work in the garage I found a spot that the mice were using for a nest. You will never guess what was lining the nest.

You guessed it several boxes of the loose green pellets. Finally went to spring traps with peanut butter caught twelve (12) of the buggers. A spring trap is the only way to go for me

I also tried a ultrasonic chaser wanted to be humane you know. I did not work. When out into the garage and found several mice dancing to the tune in the garage.

Rusty Snyder

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:47 am Thread Starter

I've been using the small blocks of poison instead of the granular stuff. I can imagine as the mice were dancing to the ultrasonic tunes from their snug bed of green pellets giving you the fat finger and thanking you for making their winter bearable

I guess what we really need is "Old Wire Spray" kinda like the New Car Smell pots that they stick in used vehicles.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming...really looking to see if there are more open ports that need to be plugged.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnyder
I hope you are not using the green mouse pellets. I tried it several times and when the pellets were gone I thought my mouse problem was to.

When I was doing some work in the garage I found a spot that the mice were using for a nest. You will never guess what was lining the nest.

You guessed it several boxes of the loose green pellets. Finally went to spring traps with peanut butter caught twelve (12) of the buggers. A spring trap is the only way to go for me

I also tried a ultrasonic chaser wanted to be humane you know. I did not work. When out into the garage and found several mice dancing to the tune in the garage.

Professionals that study mammals and trap lots of them like the mixture of peanut butter and rolled oats (oatmeal) mixed to stay on the trap. It's worked for me for many years.

Denny
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Consider building a plywood box around your LT. You can use flexible caulking on all of the seems, and bolts with wing nuts to join all of the sides.

When you don't need it, take it apart.

Around here its pack rats. Just dealing with the tubing and wire insulation they eat is a major pain; cleaning out the nests, a major pain, is nothing compared to the damage.

I've tried trapping them, but that just opens their territory to other pack rats. They even nested atop steel wool I used to fill up spaces I thought might be inviting.

I don't poison them, cause we have critters that eat them.

Bob
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Years ago we had a terrible mouse problem in the house when some major construction was going on nearby. I found a trap that consisted of a long (about 12") square plastic tube with a hinged lid on one end that would open to let the buggers in, but not let them out. A little dab of peanut butter in the far end, and set it down. Next morning, I had 10 mice jammed into that tube! You now have the option of taking them far outside and releasing them, if you so desire, or, you can drop the tube in a deep bucket of water for a few minutes, just to wash out the old peanut butter, of course. After that, I bought about 10 more traps, and got rid of the mouse problem within a week.
I really wish I could find those traps again. Best thing I ever saw, and very easy to use.
My brother had suggested a method he used. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of water and place it on the floor. Directly above the center of the bucket, tied to a length of monofilament fishing line attached to a joist above, was a large piece of cheese. A short section of board from the floor to the edge of the bucket served as a mouse ramp. The mice figured out if they went up the ramp and stretched themselves out, they could grab a bite of cheese - and then promptly fall into the bucket of water. He was emptying buckets of 20 to 30 mice every day until the problem was gone.

(edit) Couldn't find the exact same trap I used before, but Victor makes something called the "Tin Cat" that operates on the same principle of one-way doors. I just ordered 3 of them - one for the garage, one for the basement, one for the shed.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)

Last edited by Tat_n_Telle; Oct 29th, 2006 at 6:23 pm. Reason: I found the mousetrap!
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Depending on how cold your storage area is, I would try using a product called a Glue Board. Just as the name implies it's a piece of cardboard with glue on it that does not setup and remains tacky. Dab of bait in the middle and the little varmits walk into it and can never get back out. Kinda like our La Brea Tar Pits we have out here in So Cal. So if the temp does'nt get to low I would surround the perimitter of the bike and do some trapping......

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Cats work best for me. They've even eaten a small poodle and a couple of Yorkshire Terriers. Snakes? What snakes? Murdering, large, aloof furballs. I dig 'em!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
Depending on how cold your storage area is, I would try using a product called a Glue Board. Just as the name implies it's a piece of cardboard with glue on it that does not setup and remains tacky. Dab of bait in the middle and the little varmits walk into it and can never get back out. Kinda like our La Brea Tar Pits we have out here in So Cal. So if the temp does'nt get to low I would surround the perimitter of the bike and do some trapping......
Tried that stuff once. Wife found it moved across the kitchen floor one morning. Had some mouse fur and some droppings on it, no mouse. Guess I'd sh*t too if I found myself stuck to the floor. Got a cat, end of mouse problem.

B D R
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Cats work best for me. They've even eaten a small poodle and a couple of Yorkshire Terriers. Snakes? What snakes? Murdering, large, aloof furballs. I dig 'em!
Geez Grifscoots! What sort of cats are they - Pumas?

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 2:58 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
It's not what they are, but who they think they are. We had an old orange tabby that used to catch mice, lizards, rabbits, even an occasional wild turkey. He was once stalking something very quietly, and I looked across the field to see a deer grazing. I don't know what he would've done if he'd have caught it, but I bet it would've been a heck of a ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 4:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Just country cats that have grown rather large. They'll stalk anything and you never know what you'll find in the house. Sandar the mag and I were laying in bed watching a movie and saw a rather huge, wild turkey running for all get out with our orange tabby right on his tail. Just as the turkey took flight, the tabby leaped, but missed. That could have been quite the ride for that boy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 4:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
It's not what they are, but who they think they are. We had an old orange tabby that used to catch mice, lizards, rabbits, even an occasional wild turkey. He was once stalking something very quietly, and I looked across the field to see a deer grazing. I don't know what he would've done if he'd have caught it, but I bet it would've been a heck of a ride.
I think I may have your orange tabby! Please come get him.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 1:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I think I may have your orange tabby! Please come get him.
Maybe I can just have Shealey deliver him.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in