My trip west - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 14Likes
  • 11 Post By Painterman
  • 3 Post By want2tour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2016, 7:37 am Thread Starter

My trip west

I just completed a 7260 mile trip from my home in Ohio to the west coast. In three weeks a friend and I visited 6 national parks and seen
areas of the country new to both of us. I spent 3 days with my daughter who now lives in San Fransisco. My wife flew out and spent 3 weeks. I was riding my 05 pulling a cargo trailer. My friend started out on his 99 LT but finished the trip on a K1600 GTL. His bike with 116,000 miles lost a drive shaft along the way. The bike was towed to Tulsa BMW for repair and shipped home. The people at Tulsa BMW treated us wonderfull. It was a great trip. Give me 10 minutes and I would be ready to go again.

PS: I had told my wife if I had any trouble with the LT, I would be riding a new bike home. Don't you know that bike never missed a lick. It now has 59,000 miles without any trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2016, 2:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: My trip west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman View Post
I just completed a 7260 mile trip from my home in Ohio to the west coast. In three weeks a friend and I visited 6 national parks and seen
areas of the country new to both of us. I spent 3 days with my daughter who now lives in San Fransisco. My wife flew out and spent 3 weeks. I was riding my 05 pulling a cargo trailer. My friend started out on his 99 LT but finished the trip on a K1600 GTL. His bike with 116,000 miles lost a drive shaft along the way. The bike was towed to Tulsa BMW for repair and shipped home. The people at Tulsa BMW treated us wonderfull. It was a great trip. Give me 10 minutes and I would be ready to go again.

PS: I had told my wife if I had any trouble with the LT, I would be riding a new bike home. Don't you know that bike never missed a lick. It now has 59,000 miles without any trouble.
It would take you 10 minutes?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 12:38 am

I recently got back from a solo 11,400 mi 5 wk trip. Had to go riding the day after I got home. Had to tell the wife it was an addiction, a medical condition.
ibbones, JNW003 and guitarjim like this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 3:40 pm

I often watch a U-tube video called " Rick's Trip West " when I get the urge to go west, it has some great scenery. Glad you had a good trip, hope to go myself someday.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Quote:

I am planning a trip from CT to Yellowstone and back for next summer. May trailer the bikes to South Dakota rather than ride I80 and 90 all the way out.

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 8:43 pm

I got back from out west 2 weeks ago from Mi I took route 2 through the upper Mi. through WI.,Minnesota,ND.,into Montana Went into Wa. and Oregon some not enough time spent in these two states.Into Idaho, Wy,Co.,NM.,top part of Texas ,Kansas,Missouri stayed way South of Chicago on Route 36 for good reason ended coming back up to Mi on 31 through Kokomo
Any way we never got on any interstate put on over 6,000 miles on the good old 2003 LT that has 98,000 on it with out any problems
Now I hoping to go to the Smokey Mountain Fall Reunion if the weather cooperates up north here at that time
I have to go there to meet that Gordon guy (bmwcoolk1200) and Dave (saddleman)

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 10:34 pm

We went to Bryce Canyon in Utah about 10 days ago. As we turned off of Highway 89 and onto Highway 12, we were soon greeted with a sign issuing a warning for all motorcyclist: Beware of Curvy Roads of for the next 100 miles Too bad I was in our new to us car, taking it on a circuitous trip home. I went to the Canyon and then back to 89 to go North. BUT, that 100 mile curvy road with beautiful scenery from the portion I saw is now on my riding bucket list. ARE YOU KIDDING ME: 100 MILES OF ROADS SO CURVY A WARNING SIGN IS NEEDED!!!
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwradon View Post
I am planning a trip from CT to Yellowstone and back for next summer. May trailer the bikes to South Dakota rather than ride I80 and 90 all the way out.
We just spent a couple of days in Yellowstone - It is Awesome! You will have a blast. Some people said Glacier National Park is even better (I hope to go their sometime in the next year or two.)
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 11:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:

Buddy of mine and I did a "full circle" from Mena Arkansas, With RON in OK, Taos NM, CO, WY, on to Sturgis (4 days there) and back through NE, OK, then on to Mena. Only dropped the LT twice (second and third days), not even a scratch...but you gotta watch the gravel! There HAS to be a better seat out there...I was saddle-sore from day three to day 15. Did appreciate the entertainment system, the heated grips and seat...and cruise control is the ONLY way to go. The bike never gave me any trouble...and on looonng trips, that is a first for me. My buddies Honda 1300 died early and he switched to a VSTROM. I was glad to have the Beemer, even with a sore behind.
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2016, 12:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
We just spent a couple of days in Yellowstone - It is Awesome! You will have a blast. Some people said Glacier National Park is even better (I hope to go their sometime in the next year or two.)
I'm 170 mi from glacier. If it works for you could likely give you a place to stay in the area and feed you ideas for area rides. Keep it in mind. Already sent you dropbox link to pics which include Glacier Park. GP is impressive.
Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2016, 12:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
I'm 170 mi from glacier. If it works for you could likely give you a place to stay in the area and feed you ideas for area rides. Keep it in mind. Already sent you dropbox link to pics which include Glacier Park. GP is impressive.
Bob
Hey Bob, I got the links and the story. I will check it out when on a plane next week. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in