05' LT ongoing project questions! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By superstan26
  • 1 Post By garage monster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2016, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

05' LT ongoing project questions!

I bought an 05' LT knowing it needed work. The original owner passed away and it was purchased by a friend of the family who knew little about it. When the second owner purchased it he thought it needed a "starter" in fact it needed a sprag clutch. A family member offered to repair the bike and thought better about it when he took it apart and realized he wasn't a mechanic.
I replied to the craigslist ad and negotiated a price then drove several hundred miles to pick it up realizing things were a little worse than expected, I still felt like I had gotten a deal. I bought a parts bike a week later and grabbed some goodies off of it and transferred them to the 05'.
I replaced the injectors, the brake lines (spieglers), dropped in an H.I.D. headlight, slapped on some PIAA lights with ez mounts and put the L.E.D. in the right control housing (looks great), dropped in an odyssey pc680, installed a k&n air filter, flushed the brake fluid, changed the oil, etc.
Now the bike is about 98% reassembled and I found out that the center stand doesn't work, the brake lights stay on when the ignition is on, the a.b.s. is flashing brake failure, and although I thought the oil change fixed the sprag clutch when it started 4 consecutive times afterwards it hasn't started under its own power since, plus the alarm keyless entry doesn't work.

I think/hope some of this is related, but would like some help sorting this out.

My thoughts:

Sprag clutch- the fresh oil is still very dirty so I think the rislone is doing it's job and after a long ride I may get lucky and cure the sprag clutch. If not I'm not too concerned because I know how to fix it although it's a lot of work.

Brake lights- I don't think it's the lever/pedal switches because I hear them click and the abs pump isn't on all of the time but only when I engage the brakes.

A.B.S. brake failure- the brakes work but I get a constant rapid flash. I have firm pressure at pedal and lever. Fluid is topped off.

Note: The "volunteer mechanic" cut the wires to the taillight. I soldered and insulated them and had hoped that that would cure the abs code but so far it hasn't although I haven't ridden it since the repair so it may not reset until it has completed the start up test?

Centerstand- I'm pretty sure the motor just needs brushes, and is the last of my concerns because I know I can fix it eventually. I do get a rapid flash of the indicator while holding the button?

Alarm- I care about two features keyless entry and courtesy lighting... neither work. The light on the instrument cluster responds to only the fob "2" button. I get no audible or signal correspondence. Note: The top case is off which is how I ride unless I'm traveling or two up.

Looking forward to the responses, and more importantly riding a newer LT, my last one was a '99 which I miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2016, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Re: 05' LT ongoing project questions!

Also I hadn't tried the horn until last night and it didn't work so I'm thinking I may have one or more connection / relay issues.
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 19th, 2016, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Well, I fixed the following: horn, brake lights, central locking system, and courtesy lighting by putting in a 15a fuse that the P.O. most likely removed to kill the alarm. So far it has been a successful 30 mins in the garage. I think the a.b.s. will right itself after it completes the rolling system check. I'd ride it now, but I still need to figure out a few more things before I'm satisfied. I don't think she'll be going away anytime soon, and my labor was not entirely in vain!

Today is a good day.

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 12:47 am

Now that is what I like to hear. I little persistence and half of the list of woes is taken care of. Good luck with the rest.
superstan26 likes this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 1:03 am Thread Starter

Well, I'm still perplexed by the brake failure light flashing at a continuous 1 hz from cycling ignition to on and remaining while over 3mph. It appears that the power brakes are otherwise functioning correctly. I think it's a good sign that the a.b.s. pump is running when the front/rear/both brakes are applied. I'm leaning towards wheel sensor, or possibly rear reservoir wires being hooked up opposite (if that would even be an issue).

I rode the bike around the cul-de-sac this evening letting the engine get up to temp and still got the dreaded screeching sound when I tried to start afterwards.
I hope that the sprag clutch hasn't reached the point of no return when everything else seems to be looking up.
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 3:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Did you get the EHCS to work? The brake lights can keep it from working too.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...and-matrix.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36618d1348750434-electro-hydraulic-center-stand-matrix.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	115937  

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstan26 View Post
Well, I'm still perplexed by the brake failure light flashing at a continuous 1 hz from cycling ignition to on and remaining while over 3mph. It appears that the power brakes are otherwise functioning correctly. I think it's a good sign that the a.b.s. pump is running when the front/rear/both brakes are applied. I'm leaning towards wheel sensor, or possibly rear reservoir wires being hooked up opposite (if that would even be an issue).

I rode the bike around the cul-de-sac this evening letting the engine get up to temp and still got the dreaded screeching sound when I tried to start afterwards.
I hope that the sprag clutch hasn't reached the point of no return when everything else seems to be looking up.
What oil are you using? Many here suggest Mobil 1 to help avoid this. I have had no problems using Castrol 4T in my 56,000 miles, but I ride regularly and change the oil on schedule pretty religiously.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old Sep 21st, 2016, 11:01 am

I have had a similar issue with brake light flashing. What I found was the factory rear brake line feeding the caliper was just starting to leak at the radius of the bend. Was not initially obvious until I look close with a flash light and saw the hose slightly wet. Decide to go with braided brake lines and all is good. Also had rear line feeding caliper made slightly longer than the factory one, factory one seemed a little stretched.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 9:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:

The ABS does two initial checks. The first one must be done with the brakes released or it will NEVER go to the second check. With the brake lights on it thinks you have the brakes applied. It will not move on to the slower flash rolling test until you can find what has the brake lights on. Once you fix that you need to do the rolling test and see if all the lights go out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 19 Old Sep 24th, 2016, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

I have everything but the center stand, starter and a.b.s. fixed.

The a.b.s. is improving, but I have a few questions.

I can ride the bike without a brake failure warning as long as I don't apply much force to the brakes. Neither the lever nor the pedal cause faults when lightly engaged but either will when stabbed, or if significant pressure is applied.

Does anyone know if push starting the bike will impede its ability to properly go through the system check? I'm assuming it doesn't because I can ride without warning lights now, but I figured it was worth asking.

Also, I check all reservoirs and the only one that is slightly low (just above min) is the lever reservoir. Will it cause a fault?

Will it cause a fault if the front and rear abs reservoirs are overly full?

Thanks for all of the replies!
post #11 of 19 Old Sep 25th, 2016, 7:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only reservoirs monitored are on the ABS unit. They only produce a continuous slow wig-wag flash. If you are getting a fault after hard braking then it is either a pressure issue or a low battery. The ABS has pressure transducers that compare input to output pressures. If they are not in range it will generate a fault. Really need to know the fault code read from a GS-911 or dealer computer to go any further on the pressure issue.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 19 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks jzeiler, I greatly appreciate all of your help on this thread and the forum.
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 10:51 am

Quote:
Thanks jzeiler, I greatly appreciate all of your help on this thread and the forum.
NEVER dispute Mr. John Zeiler. I did once; thought "I think John is wrong on this one" (after some advice on the engine temp. sensor....). Guess who was correct?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #14 of 19 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 1:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
NEVER dispute Mr. John Zeiler. I did once; thought "I think John is wrong on this one" (after some advice on the engine temp. sensor....). Guess who was correct?
As I've said before, when John Z speaks, people listen....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #15 of 19 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 2:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
As I've said before, when John Z speaks, people listen....
Are you referring to John "E F Hutton" Z?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 19 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 2:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Are you referring to John "E F Hutton" Z?
Absolutely!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #17 of 19 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Well, I got a tag for the German gal today and rode her for a little while. She rewarded me with one push less start so far. That's a start! Looking forward to throwing some miles on her expecting her to clean up the sprag clutch for me.

I still get the brake failure on hard stops, but I've a feeling it will be an easy fix. If not she's losing the abs. If I chuck the abs (which I don't intend to do) I'll be doing something to dim the trip reset whenever I kill the brake failure indicator.

Current thoughts on 05' from 99':

like the servo assisted brakes when they work right,

Love the new instrument display,

I'm a fan of courtesy lighting,

Like the keyless entry, but not sure I'll use it unless I'm on a trip (same with the alarm),

Thinking about ditching the power center stand and modifying the stand to give more clearance and leverage for manual lifting. I never minded the manual stand but hated dragging it in corners and occasionally on speed bumps.

Enjoying the piaa 1100x lamps, and H.I.D. low beam.

Like the adjustable and more importantly folding rear floorboards.

Favorite difference of all is the saddle, the old one hurt the inside of my legs but the narrower seat gives me more stability and comfort.
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 27th, 2016, 6:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure what you are calling keyless entry unless your alarm has been turned off.

As far as your ABS issues, have you inspected your brake pads? My '05 would flash at only one stop, I was beginning to believe there was some sort of electrical field that was faulting the ABS system. Turned out my rear pads needed replacement.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 27th, 2016, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
Not sure what you are calling keyless entry unless your alarm has been turned off.

As far as your ABS issues, have you inspected your brake pads? My '05 would flash at only one stop, I was beginning to believe there was some sort of electrical field that was faulting the ABS system. Turned out my rear pads needed replacement.
When I say "keyless entry" I'm referring to being able to lock/unlock the compartments using the remote.

I'll check the pads again, I have multiple sets of new pads that came with the bikes at purchase. The pads that were on the bike appeared to be fine when I changed the brake lines but perhaps that is the issue. I would be ecstatic if the brake issue were fixed so easily!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in