Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

I have wanted to purchase a motorcycle lift for sometime. For the price of the Harbor Freight lift I was afraid it was not heavy enough for lifting a K1200LT. There is a Harbor Freight store located in Omaha, Nebraska, which I live within 50 miles. I picked one up yesterday, October 26. I was really impressed with it. To make it safe when riding on I made to platforms out of ˝ inch plywood for each side to put your feet down. Also my garage floor is real smooth and slick. When driving on to it the lift wanted to slide. I cut two small wedge blocks and place them in front of the caster wheels. This worked fine. I am going to find two of the hard rubber door stops which I am sure would work better. The lift itself is plenty sufficiency for lifting a K1200LT. I have a wheel lock, which I was going to use in place of the wheel vice but most of the time you will want the rear wheel up so I use the center stand and the front wheel vice. I also fixed tie downs hooks but I did not use them today while I was servicing my bike. It seems very solid on the lift.

The lift was on sale for $299.00. Plus for $29.00 they have a replacement plan. In one year I can take it back to the store I purchased it at and exchange for a new lift. Covers a one-time replacement. Term begins at end of manufacture’s warranty.

I have posted several pictures of the lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270006.JPG
Views:	6511
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	7818   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270008.JPG
Views:	3044
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	7819   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270009.JPG
Views:	1885
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	7820   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270014.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	7821   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270015.JPG
Views:	1350
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	7822  

Name:	PA270013.JPG
Views:	1066
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	7823   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270017.JPG
Views:	2399
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	7824  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:57 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

The one thing I have seen on other lifts ( not sure the brands) was where the center stand contacts the platform it seem to bend from the wieght. So I would keep an eye on that ,you may need to add a support brace to it,but it looks pretty good to me from the pics. Thanks for sharing
BTW is that a corbin smugler box in place of the top box? looks good can you get a better pic of it? please

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Does the bike go any farther foward? It looks like it should, other lifts I have seen the front wheel goes into a vice at the front of the platform. How much effort does it take to get it up? When you release it does it come down so you can controll it? Sure can't beat the price.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:03 pm

Looks like a good buy and a great price.
how smooth is the up and down?

The hooks and the front whell came on the price?

Thank you for sharring the pictures

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #5 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 6:19 am

I bought the same basic lift, only with the front wheel vise. It was $399, I think. It also has two lifting options: a foot operated pedal, or an automatic pump powered with compressed air. Mine showed up with damage from shipping to the top plate (it looked like whoever was operating the fork lift was in a hurry) and called Harbor Freight right away. They are sending me a complete new top plate, since I couldn't ship the lift back in the (destroyed) crate.
My garage area is a little tight in the winter months - four one-ton pallets of wood pellets take up a lot of room. To make it easier to ride the bike onto the lift, and to keep it out of the way when not in use, I'm digging up the garage floor and installing the lift into a pit that will put the top plate slightly below floor level when down. I can then cover the pit with a sheet of braced 3/4" plywood and a large rubber garage mat. The pit has recessed edges to accept the plywood, so it will be floor level. When needed, I'll pull the mat and plywood, bolt on the front tire vise, ride the bike onto the lift and raise it.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Does the bike go any farther foward? It looks like it should, other lifts I have seen the front wheel goes into a vice at the front of the platform. How much effort does it take to get it up? When you release it does it come down so you can controll it? Sure can't beat the price.
If I would use my Wheel Lock the bike would be to the front of the platform. When I drive on I go clear to the front but when raising the center stand pulls he bike back. There are three positions to bolt the front wheel vice but when on the center stand it bolts in the back position. There is no effort at all when pumping the hydraulic pump to raise the bike. This is what I was concerned about before purchasing the lift. When lowering it you have control of any speed you want it to come down. You can just make it creep if you like. I have probably raise my bike twenty times and cannot see no problem with it.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #7 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 6:49 am Thread Starter

Harbor Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Looks like a good buy and a great price.
how smooth is the up and down?

The hooks and the front whell came on the price?

Thank you for sharring the pictures
As far as letting it down you can control it at any speed. I have just let it creep where you can hardly see it move.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #8 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Harbor freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
I bought the same basic lift, only with the front wheel vise. It was $399, I think. It also has two lifting options: a foot operated pedal, or an automatic pump powered with compressed air. Mine showed up with damage from shipping to the top plate (it looked like whoever was operating the fork lift was in a hurry) and called Harbor Freight right away. They are sending me a complete new top plate, since I couldn't ship the lift back in the (destroyed) crate.
My garage area is a little tight in the winter months - four one-ton pallets of wood pellets take up a lot of room. To make it easier to ride the bike onto the lift, and to keep it out of the way when not in use, I'm digging up the garage floor and installing the lift into a pit that will put the top plate slightly below floor level when down. I can then cover the pit with a sheet of braced 3/4" plywood and a large rubber garage mat. The pit has recessed edges to accept the plywood, so it will be floor level. When needed, I'll pull the mat and plywood, bolt on the front tire vise, ride the bike onto the lift and raise it.
I wanted the one with the automatic pump powered air compressor but the stores do not carry that unit. I could see where they could damage them in shipping because the are heavy and hard to handle. They loaded it on my pickup at the store with a fork lift. I had one person help me unload it at home but assembled it alone with no problem. After using the hydraulic pump I probably would not have paid the extra hundred for the air. It is not that hard to pump it up. The platforms that I make for the sides hang on my garage wall and take up very little room. I have a large three stall garage so I have plenty of room. It would be nice to have it set in the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA280018.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	7827  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #9 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just bought a HF unit yesterday on sale for $299 less a 20% coupon. All I have to do now is wait for my son to help me unload the beast from the back of the van.

Thanks for the useful ideas Jerrym.

Motor On ,/'

post #10 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
I have a large three stall garage so I have plenty of room.
Ah, my dream! Actually, I'd love to convert the house to a six car garage, complete with motorcycle and automotive lifts, with room for a milling machine and lathe. Just toss a couch and TV in one of the bays.

I don't think Telle would be too crazy 'bout that. She keeps mentioning something like 'remodeling the bathroom', whatever that means. :-)

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 4:33 pm

I have one of the Harbor Freight lifts. I don't have a problem with this, since I don't use the lift every day ... but the hydraulic unit I have takes about 60 or 70 strokes of the foot pedal to raise the bike all the way up. Not what you'd want if you're in the business of servicing bikes.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Harbor Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
I have one of the Harbor Freight lifts. I don't have a problem with this, since I don't use the lift every day ... but the hydraulic unit I have takes about 60 or 70 strokes of the foot pedal to raise the bike all the way up. Not what you'd want if you're in the business of servicing bikes.

- Bob
Your right if you were using it every day for commercial use. I just use it for my own service, which I do most all my own and my tires. I do have a couple friends I help on service and tires. It the store had carried the air one I know I would have purchased it. I was a fright if I ordered one and it was shipped by truck it would get damaged. They are not carted very well for freight truck handling. I am going to put a 7 inch extension on the front of the platform so as to get the bike a little more forward when on the center stand. The center stand would be right on the reinforcement under the platform. For my use it works perfect. Thanks for your interest.

The main reason I shown it was I know a lot of us wanted lifts but do not have use enough to spend 500 to 700 dollars. This lift is sufficiency for most all of us. When you see the cheap price it makes you leary. I have been taken several times by cheap products. I am interested in hearing any complaints. Maybe it will not last but I have been in the manufacturing of hydraulic liftgate for over 40 years ( Tommy Gate & Eagle Lift Liftgates). I know I could not manufacture this unit and be able to retail it for 299.00 dollars with steel prices as of today. Personally I think it is a good buy.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #13 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 6:55 pm

OK, so the side ramps help you to get the bike onto the ramp, what's next, do you have someone standing by to tighten the front wheel in the vise before you dismount, or is there enough room to put the sidestand down and dismount, then get it up on the center stand?
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 8:19 pm

He's got an 05', just push the button, all done.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb83
OK, so the side ramps help you to get the bike onto the ramp, what's next, do you have someone standing by to tighten the front wheel in the vise before you dismount, or is there enough room to put the sidestand down and dismount, then get it up on the center stand?
I have an '02, and also built wooden side ramps. There is enough room for me to put the bike on the sidestand, dismount, and then put the bike up on the center stand.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Smuggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
The one thing I have seen on other lifts ( not sure the brands) was where the center stand contacts the platform it seem to bend from the wieght. So I would keep an eye on that ,you may need to add a support brace to it,but it looks pretty good to me from the pics. Thanks for sharing
BTW is that a corbin smugler box in place of the top box? looks good can you get a better pic of it? please
Steve,

Here is a better picture of the smuggler that you asked for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1240001.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	7849  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #17 of 19 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 7:38 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
Steve,

Here is a better picture of the smuggler that you asked for.
Thank Jerry man that looks good Looks like a whole different bike. Dang if I didn't ride two up 95 percent of the time I would be gettin one of them there Smugglers

Stevie Shreeve
post #18 of 19 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:04 am

Hey Jerry, the lift looks good I think I will get one. You say you do your own tires. What type of balancer do you use? I tried to buy one from Marc Pranes, but I cannot get an e-mail to go through.

Thanks.

Ron
post #19 of 19 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Balancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral
Hey Jerry, the lift looks good I think I will get one. You say you do your own tires. What type of balancer do you use? I tried to buy one from Marc Pranes, but I cannot get an e-mail to go through.

Thanks.

Ron
Ron

I send you an email

Jerry

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in