Selling my k1200lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By pdrrock
  • 1 Post By cws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 11th, 2016, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Selling my k1200lt

I am selling my 05 k1200lt. It is on the Rhode Island craigslist if any of you are interested. I tried 3 times to post it in the classified but failed. I did a lot of work on it in the past year and a half and would like to thank all of you for your help. I won't be going far, I am currently looking for an RT. If anybody in the Forum is interested they will certainly get a better deal. Bob 401-256-7891.

Last edited by pdrrock; Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 6:26 am

Re: Selling my k1200lt

I just put mine up for sale...
There is a guy in your area selling a 2005 for 4500.00... What could be wrong with it to take that much of a loss?

I personally think a decent LT should be 7K- 7.5K. They are a great bike, just not a huge followig like the GW.
BMW K1200LT - 2005 - With EVERYTHING!

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
There is a guy in your area selling a 2005 for 4500.00... What could be wrong with it to take that much of a loss?

I personally think a decent LT should be 7K- 7.5K. They are a great bike, just not a huge followig like the GW.
I happen to agree with you. A lot goes into these bikes and to take a big loss is something I don't want should I sell mine. I just ordered a shock for $900 to replace the 15 year old stock. I think some of the low prices are where owners who know the bike has problems and are simply dumping them and not fixing them is part of the problem. Prospective new LT owners have to sift through all that and may not be able to tell the difference so they see these low prices and wonder why yours is so high by comparison. If they only knew.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 7:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There are a lot of people out there looking for a good deal, and there are a number of LTs in the market place that range from truly excellent to truly basket cases and everything in between. Some of the more knowledgable buyers have either done their research or have previously owned an LT and know what to look for. Those individuals should expect to be willing to pay accordingly, or know what it would take to transform a bike that is 7 to 17 years old into something they can confidently jump on and travel across the country.

I've seen very low mileage LTs in excellent condition cosmetically, but wonder what the condition is of the brake lines, seals, tires, ABS unit, and internal gas tank fuel lines. Many sellers of these bikes state that they have been well maintained by such and such dealer, yet I question if the owner really spent the time, effort, and money to keep up with all of the recommended service intervals - would someone really have flushed the brake lines several times on a 10,000 mile/10 year old bike that they have rarely ridden? Things can deteriorate with age or potentially fail as a result of some other related part's deterioration. On the other hand, I've also seen LTs with 40K-80K+ miles in excellent to very good condition that have been well maintained and may actually be a better deal than the low mileage bike. The first two things I look for in pictures of LTs for sale are (1) brake lines - if they're black, they are probably original and overdue for replacement; and (2) is the top case latch missing the top corners (broken latch); and then I look to see cosmetic condition (is it clean), mileage, price reasonability, have the fuel line quick disconnects been replaced - preferably with metal QDs), if it has GPS - is it an obsolete original unit or has it been replaced with a unit and up-to-date maps/lifetime maps, optional equipment (auxiliary lights, aftermarket seat(s), floorboards, J-pegs, have the springs and/or shocks been replaced, cleanliness and finally, what systems work or not work (like cruise control, central locking, hydraulic center stand, radio, etc).

Even though this forum's Classified Ads section is abysmal, the forum is an excellent source for acquiring knowledge to be an informed buyer (as well as seller).
HillmoorPete and ProfSnape like this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #5 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Supply and demand with a healthy dose of lack of advertising. Re-badge these bikes with an HD logo and things would be very different... as far as sales goes. HD blows the doors off of BMW in advertising and selling the hype (yes, they are good to great bikes). Of course, the price of HD is a reflection of those advertising costs. People in the USA just don't know BMW bikes and haven't tried them out. So, the resale market is much more difficult.

For me, I had a cruiser style bike and wanted to change some things up. When I saw the low prices of the BMW, I was astonished. The cars hold their value pretty well but the bikes - not so much. I was really leaning toward a Road King but went with the LT. The LT is a very, very different motorcycle experience from my previous Suzuki c50 mid-size cruiser.
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 9:07 pm

It is too bad Craigslist removes posts... Can't imagine what phrase alerted their bots.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 11:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Supply and demand with a healthy dose of lack of advertising. Re-badge these bikes with an HD logo and things would be very different... as far as sales goes. HD blows the doors off of BMW in advertising and selling the hype (yes, they are good to great bikes). Of course, the price of HD is a reflection of those advertising costs. People in the USA just don't know BMW bikes and haven't tried them out. So, the resale market is much more difficult.

For me, I had a cruiser style bike and wanted to change some things up. When I saw the low prices of the BMW, I was astonished. The cars hold their value pretty well but the bikes - not so much. I was really leaning toward a Road King but went with the LT. The LT is a very, very different motorcycle experience from my previous Suzuki c50 mid-size cruiser.
Jim, you are so right about marketing. I have only been a BMW bike owner for 7 months and have had 10+ people say "Cool. I didn't know BMW made motorcycles".

Floors me every time.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 13th, 2016, 6:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post

I remember seeing that bike along time ago. I don't know why it is so low. Maybe it's not as clean when you see it in person. I think he started close to 10k when he first had it for sale. I thought $7,200 was a decent price but feel I might lower it after reading all of your responses.
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 13th, 2016, 6:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I happen to agree with you. A lot goes into these bikes and to take a big loss is something I don't want should I sell mine. I just ordered a shock for $900 to replace the 15 year old stock. I think some of the low prices are where owners who know the bike has problems and are simply dumping them and not fixing them is part of the problem. Prospective new LT owners have to sift through all that and may not be able to tell the difference so they see these low prices and wonder why yours is so high by comparison. If they only knew.
This is why I tried to post it in the classified for this Forum. People who could appreciate what has been done to the Bike. I'm sure most people looking at Craigslist are wondering what a weep hole is and why did it have to be drilled. Never expected to sell it so soon but need the money for an RT.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 13th, 2016, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrrock View Post
I'm sure most people looking at Craigslist are wondering what a weep hole is and why did it have to be drilled.
That and a Viton O-ring.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:38 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
That and a Viton O-ring.
now you're just talking about all the sensuous parts.....
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 14th, 2016, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
now you're just talking about all the sensuous parts.....
Depending on what category on Craig's List you posted that in, it could take on a whole new meaning.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #13 of 14 Old Sep 17th, 2016, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Selling my k1200lt

Finally posted in the classified. Seems the trick might be not to overload it with pictures. I ended up posting the text first then posting pictures one at a time.
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 20th, 2016, 2:26 am

So, I go to my local auto parts store to buy oil for the K12. The guy at the counter asks what I am looking for and I tell him I'm getting oil for my BMW motorcycle. He says, "I didn't know BMW makes motorcycles. Is it outside?" I say yes and he goes to see the bike. As I am paying, he says it looks like a nice bike. That's the way it goes.

Oh, a guy in a suit is buying a motorcycle battery, my guess is for an HD. But, he wasn't sure what kind of battery, cranking amps or where the posts needed to be. Funny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in