Rear brake squeal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Rear brake squeal

I've put about 450 miles on my new (to me) LT, and when I hit the rear brake, (1) I REALLY have to push down on the pedal, and (2) it usually squeals - not the "pads low" thing, but much louder.

Any suggestions? Bike is an '06, with 7,700 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:27 pm

On normal road conditions - your primary brake on a motorcycle is the front brake. Old adage is:
Use the front to stop
Use the rear for control
Hard brake - considering that most of your braking force is in the front wheel - OK, I can see that. But if it's lowever than normal, have your dealer check it.

Squeel:
Lots and lots of discussion around here on that. Some fix it via warantee, some get 2 or 3 changes out, pads and rotors with no help. On my '02, I installed an EBC rear rotor and their HH pads - fixed it for me.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
I've put about 450 miles on my new (to me) LT, and when I hit the rear brake, (1) I REALLY have to push down on the pedal, and (2) it usually squeals - not the "pads low" thing, but much louder.

Any suggestions? Bike is an '06, with 7,700 miles on it.
I would say that you might have an issue.. If it is an '06 you have power assist brakes and although I have only ridden an '05 a very short distance there is a big difference between my brakes and yours.. I have had squealing brakes and that is only a noise issue when in the last few feet of a stop.. hard pressing may be a wet pad or bad caliper or brake system.. without the power assist working properly it is hard to stop.. Much harder than a earlier non-power assist system.

Take it to a BMW dealer and let them look at it.. you still have warrantee even if you didn't buy it new..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:31 am

Is the pedal effort very high or is the pedal to far down? On my 05' I thought the rear pedal was to low so I had them adjust it higher and it is much better. Not hard to do but i thought being a BMW that the dealer had some special tool or something. The rear brake squeal is common also, my rear rotor/caliper has been replaced, the pads twice. The last time the squeal was gone for about 1K then it started again, not as bad and it I brake hard it doesn't happen at all. I may go with the EBC rotor and pads that seems to work.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 8:25 am

Yup.. brake squeal... remember, "Loud brakes save lives"... Naw.. that's another product..

M '05 squeals.. I have not changed to the EBC... yet... 17k miles. However, I am seriously considering them.

The "cause" of the noise is like this.. LT has "floating disk/rotor" and calipers float very well, too. Because of this, the rotor vibrations are "un-dampened"... and so vibrations due to braking result in a 'squeal'. You can go to the bike, tap the disc with the handle of a screwdriver. I bet the sound is almost like the squeal...

Changing to the EBC, will change the material and therefore the harmonics on the braking surfaces..

Maybe someone here can correct my thoughts...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback.. I'm sure everyone here knows how much concern percieved problems cause on a new high buck toy... and when one of the key reasons was the ABS/brake system.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in