Travel bags - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Captain_Wayne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Travel bags

Hello everyone I have a 2000 k1200 lt and plan to do a few road trips since it doesn't have a luggage rack on top of the back rest storage I am open to all suggestions to travel bags to use plus what type of medium tank bag non magnetic with a see thru area for a large cell phone thanks for your time and suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Re: Travel bags

You're going to have some trouble finding a tank bag. Most regular tank bags would inhibit the handlebars on a tight turn. I'm using a small one made for the depression to the left of the stingray. Bag is velcro-mounted, called a Stingray and was at bikershut.net
They may be out of business. Their website doesn't work anymore.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Garage

I have a 2000 LT and use the RKA 8 liter tank bag which works well for me and fits your description.
See link: RKATankbag Page

As far as the travel bag is concerned I am not clear about your description of your rear storage area available. I use a Motorrad waterproof travel bag that I attach it to my rear rack with quick release snap buckles. Also I have attached the bag to the rear seat cushion and use it as a temporary backrest. I remove the bag at my destination and take it to my room for overnight use.
See link: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-MOTORRAD-.../dp/B00VKTHJZY

Good luck with your LT and welcome to the forum.
Lt Wookster likes this.

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 7:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
Hello everyone I have a 2000 k1200 lt and plan to do a few road trips since it doesn't have a luggage rack on top of the back rest storage I am open to all suggestions to travel bags to use plus what type of medium tank bag non magnetic with a see thru area for a large cell phone thanks for your time and suggestions
I use the Kathy's Journey liners for the side bags and trunk and have been very happy with them. They were reasonably priced from Bob's BMW, lightweight and have held up well over 8 years, 56,000 miles and probably at least 200 days of use including tours of Europe and the UK where they fit the GTL reasonably well.

I have the BMW rack and thus also use the Kathy's rackhttp://kathysjourneydesigns.com/ bag which works great to carry rain gear, bike cover, etc., things that can stand to get a little wet.

Kathys Journey Designs - motorcyle case liners for BMW / Yamaha / Kawasaki / Givi / Shad - the only bags with a lifetime guarantee - brought to you exclusively by KJD!

I bought the small 6L tank bag from Racer Parts Wholesale. The bayonet mount is somewhat ugly when the bag is not attached, but it is a slick system. The bars barely kiss the bag in a full left lock turn and don't touch in a right turn. I got the electrical option so I can charge devices in the bag as I ride.

Tank Bags - Marsee Corona Mount Bag for BMW K1200LT

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your suggestions I really appreciate it
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 11:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Like Voyager, I have the complete set of Kathys Journey bags (side cases, top case, and top case rack bags), which have worked out very well during several multi-state tours. If you need additional carrying capacity (since you don't have the top case rack), and don't tour with a passenger, you might also consider looking into getting a BMR luggage rack which mounts over the rear seating area. It is easily removable, as it is held in place by 4 thumb screws that can only be removed with the side cases open - good for holding camping equipment if you are in to that type of touring.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2016, 6:25 am

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-bx2qtu...0.1280.jpg?c=2

I use this bag it's called the lazy rider. It works well with no passenger fits on back seat and works as a back rest.

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2016, 8:14 pm

BMW makes a tank bag for the K1200lt, https://www.ascycles.com/2/MicroList...es,%20Motorrad , Tank-Bag 1 71602342670 $135.00. I have one which came with the bike when I bought it, but as of yet I haven't used it. I believe it fits over the CD player lid and allows you to open the lid with the bag in place.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2016, 8:55 pm

I have the Cee Bailys liners. Great bags everything fits and you take them right into the hotel.

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in