Clutch Slave? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch Slave?

Well I think my slave cylinder is giving up! Started to back out of my barn clutch pulled in 1st gear, Backed up a couple of feet and the thing started to start back forward? Got out (of the barn)and pull the clutch in when in gear and every thing see to be fine? 'Bout half way out the drive pull the clutch and it did not release? Check fluid and it seems to be OK. Got ideas.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
Well I think my slave cylinder is giving up! Started to back out of my barn clutch pulled in 1st gear, Backed up a couple of feet and the thing started to start back forward? Got out (of the barn)and pull the clutch in when in gear and every thing see to be fine? 'Bout half way out the drive pull the clutch and it did not release? Check fluid and it seems to be OK. Got ideas.
Unfortunately, I think you already figured out the answer.

Now if you had drilled that drain hole we keep talking about, you would only be in for a slave replacement, not the clutch too.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Mine behaved that way after I replaced the slave cylinder and I didn't have enough fluid in the reservoir.

My guess is that the slave cylinder is leaking or the lower clutch cable is leaking since we saw corrosion on most of those when we did the weep hole drilling. Either way you need to rip the back end off and find out. Drill the hole while you are there. If your lucky you haven't contaminated the clutch yet but I wouldn't ride until it is fixed.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Anyone come up with a bracket to attach to the clutch housing so that this hole can be drilled without dismantling everything?

Bob
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 5:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Not possible. Basically, you have to get the slave cylinder out of the way before drilling the hole. And besides, the whole point is to avoid unnecessary labor by having to do the whole clutch later.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:28 pm

BecketMa,
If you look at the gross of uploaded images of the clutch slave know that only about .5 mm or .020" of freespace surrounds the removable slave and its containing cast void or hole. At business end (clutch actuating push rod) there is about 2-3 mm. So the total free volume inside that area is not large. I had less than 10 ml (2 teaspoons) and it coated the whole circumference of the slave cylinder. If you drill at 30mm from the face of the boss some of your new drain hole is covered by the slave but it does have .020" free for drainage which is entirely adequate. Now if you drill without all the R/R (swingarm) you will probably dent or worse drill into the external barrel of the slave housing. It is thick but all the chips will go flying and you know that ThrowOut Bearing is right there and so is the seal and bearing at the far wall of the hole. If you don't have a leaking clutch slave or pushrod seal/ bearing leak you will have...... since there are a lot of sharp shavings thrown around by the 5/16 drill bit and every time you pull that clutch handle that slave piston moves and the throwout bearing spins and on and on. I vacuumed mine clear. Also, I beleive these brake fluid seapages are slow but with no where to go the 15 ml of free space can be taken up and along the clutch rod it goes. The seal there is set to keep GL in and the Designers figured the slave seal would never leak !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018(1).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1,013.6 KB
ID:	7825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00039(1).JPG
Views:	73
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	7826  

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks

I appreciate all the response. I'm setting still and waiting on parts. My prayer is that I have caught this when it happen and it has not contaminated the clutch. Thanks again for the reply both online and off.

This is the first time in 30 years that I don't have something to ride so I am going through some withdrawal, but I'll make it through. Just pray for me

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in