Power FRK Module - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2016, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Power FRK Module

Does anyone else out there have the Power FRK module on your K1200LT? The P.O. Of my 2002 said that he put one on this bike. I want to remove it to see if it helps my MPG. But, I can't find it. The P. O. said he recalled that it was under the gas tank. He said to just disconnect the leads, pull the FRK out and then reconnect the leads. Also, is this company now out of business? I've tried contacting them through their website contact page twice. All I get is an automated response saying they got my inquiry and will respond within 48 hours. I've also called them twice and left a message asking them to call me. When I call the number on their website, the voicemail message repeats a different number than what I called and says to leave a message. Still no response from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2016, 10:45 am

Re: Power FRK Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtman View Post
Does anyone else out there have the Power FRK module on your K1200LT? The P.O. Of my 2002 said that he put one on this bike. I want to remove it to see if it helps my MPG. But, I can't find it. The P. O. said he recalled that it was under the gas tank. He said to just disconnect the leads, pull the FRK out and then reconnect the leads. Also, is this company now out of business? I've tried contacting them through their website contact page twice. All I get is an automated response saying they got my inquiry and will respond within 48 hours. I've also called them twice and left a message asking them to call me. When I call the number on their website, the voicemail message repeats a different number than what I called and says to leave a message. Still no response from them.
The Power FRK moduel was nothing more than a fancy resistor that went inline with the air temp sensor to fool the bike into thinking the air was cooler than it was and make the mix richer. You should have no problems removing it. The air temp sensor is at the front left of the air box so it would plug in there and then the other lead should plug into the module if I remember the pictures I saw of it. I might also pull the battery connection and let it sit for 15 minutes to clear out the long term settings so it doesn't have to learn from where they were augmented to. There may also be a fuse that you can pull and not disconnect the battery but I don't know that fuse off the top of my head.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
The Power FRK moduel was nothing more than a fancy resistor that went inline with the air temp sensor to fool the bike into thinking the air was cooler than it was and make the mix richer. You should have no problems removing it. The air temp sensor is at the front left of the air box so it would plug in there and then the other lead should plug into the module if I remember the pictures I saw of it. I might also pull the battery connection and let it sit for 15 minutes to clear out the long term settings so it doesn't have to learn from where they were augmented to. There may also be a fuse that you can pull and not disconnect the battery but I don't know that fuse off the top of my head.
Gordon - Thanks for the good info. I'm out of town for the next 10 days and won't have a chance to look at the bike until then. Since the FRK is designed to make the mix richer, am I right to assume that if I remove it my MPG should increase some?

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Gordon - Thanks for the good info. I'm out of town for the next 10 days and won't have a chance to look at the bike until then. Since the FRK is designed to make the mix richer, am I right to assume that if I remove it my MPG should increase some?
Possibly. The Motronic and oxygen sensor system will sense a rich mixture in closed loop operation and attempt to lean it out at least some. I can't guarantee that your mileage will increase but it is a place to start. Depending on how badly it messes with it is why I recommended clearing the long term settings with either a pull of the battery or the motronic fuse for 15 minutes and also do a TPS reset after that which is turn on the ignition but don't start. Open the throttle to full and release 3 times and then turn off the key. Start as normal after that and then see where you are.

Do you know if any other modifications have been made such as the brown wire cut or cat code plug removal, possibly a replacement ECU chip? Someone putting on smoke and mirrors like a power FRK may have also done other things. I say smoke and mirrors simply because a rich mixture for a prolonged period will damage the cat converter. You can only get so much blood from a stone without damaging the stone. If you happen to be in a country other than the USA, it may not have a cat converter so not so much to damage there but your mileage may certainly suffer.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 10th, 2016, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Possibly. The Motronic and oxygen sensor system will sense a rich mixture in closed loop operation and attempt to lean it out at least some. I can't guarantee that your mileage will increase but it is a place to start. Depending on how badly it messes with it is why I recommended clearing the long term settings with either a pull of the battery or the motronic fuse for 15 minutes and also do a TPS reset after that which is turn on the ignition but don't start. Open the throttle to full and release 3 times and then turn off the key. Start as normal after that and then see where you are.

Do you know if any other modifications have been made such as the brown wire cut or cat code plug removal, possibly a replacement ECU chip? Someone putting on smoke and mirrors like a power FRK may have also done other things. I say smoke and mirrors simply because a rich mixture for a prolonged period will damage the cat converter. You can only get so much blood from a stone without damaging the stone. If you happen to be in a country other than the USA, it may not have a cat converter so not so much to damage there but your mileage may certainly suffer.
The P.O. was an engineer and kept meticulous maintenance records. I just checked the Excel spread sheet that he passed on to me and found this entry for April 2006 at 4,339 miles:

"Activated secondary ignition timing program by cutting "the brown wire). Huge improvement"

The bike has 32,000 miles on it now. I've put about 11,000 of those on since buying it 18 months ago. There was nothing in the maintenance log about the cat code plug or ECU chip. I live in the USA (Illinois). Should I be worried about damage to my cat converter by now.
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 11th, 2016, 12:21 am

Quote:
The P.O. was an engineer and kept meticulous maintenance records. I just checked the Excel spread sheet that he passed on to me and found this entry for April 2006 at 4,339 miles:

"Activated secondary ignition timing program by cutting "the brown wire). Huge improvement"

The bike has 32,000 miles on it now. I've put about 11,000 of those on since buying it 18 months ago. There was nothing in the maintenance log about the cat code plug or ECU chip. I live in the USA (Illinois). Should I be worried about damage to my cat converter by now.
If you still have issues with mileage after removing the FRK then you can worry about other things. Generally, you don't do more than one of the fixes together at the same time, like pulling the air temp sensor and also cutting the brown wire. I would think that the FRK might leave the temp sensor in some form of functionality or there may be times the bike didn't run well based on air temp but I don' know what it actually does other than mess with the temp sensor. It could be a static resistor faking a steady cold air temp or have some actual active components.

I wouldn't worry about the cat for now but dumping raw fuel into them does not do wonders for their longevity so just take the FRK off as you planned to do and do a few tanks after the reset and see where she settles. The alternate fuel map activated by the brown wire cut may also affect fuel mileage. I think mainly that was a fix for having issues when riding with temps above 80 or 90 degrees. Work on one thing at a time and see where each step gets you.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 10 Old Sep 11th, 2016, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
If you still have issues with mileage after removing the FRK then you can worry about other things. Generally, you don't do more than one of the fixes together at the same time, like pulling the air temp sensor and also cutting the brown wire. I would think that the FRK might leave the temp sensor in some form of functionality or there may be times the bike didn't run well based on air temp but I don' know what it actually does other than mess with the temp sensor. It could be a static resistor faking a steady cold air temp or have some actual active components.

I wouldn't worry about the cat for now but dumping raw fuel into them does not do wonders for their longevity so just take the FRK off as you planned to do and do a few tanks after the reset and see where she settles. The alternate fuel map activated by the brown wire cut may also affect fuel mileage. I think mainly that was a fix for having issues when riding with temps above 80 or 90 degrees. Work on one thing at a time and see where each step gets you.
Sounds like good advice. Thanks, again. It's good to have smart guys like you on this forum. My MPG has never been terrible, but I've never been able to get much above 40 MPG at speeds over 65. I've heard of a lot of guys on this forum getting 50 MPG or better. Im not a real aggressive rider either and only wring the 'ole girl's neck once in awhile when I just feel that "need for speed." I'm planning to do a Saddle Sore 1,000 next month (my first IBA event) and just want to get the best mileage I can at 70-80 MPH.
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 11th, 2016, 9:14 am

Quote:
Sounds like good advice. Thanks, again. It's good to have smart guys like you on this forum. My MPG has never been terrible, but I've never been able to get much above 40 MPG at speeds over 65. I've heard of a lot of guys on this forum getting 50 MPG or better. Im not a real aggressive rider either and only wring the 'ole girl's neck once in awhile when I just feel that "need for speed." I'm planning to do a Saddle Sore 1,000 next month (my first IBA event) and just want to get the best mileage I can at 70-80 MPH.
I don't get much above 40 either but it depends on the gas also. if I happen to get E0 or a low concentration of ethanol, I think I get better mileage. A station near me just started selling it so I may try and see how it does mileage wise.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't get much above 40 either but it depends on the gas also. if I happen to get E0 or a low concentration of ethanol, I think I get better mileage. A station near me just started selling it so I may try and see how it does mileage wise.
Do you always use high test, with or without ethanol? I've tried regular, mid grade, and high test and can't tell any difference in performance or MPG. I can't find E0 anywhere in this burecractic state of Illinois. I almost always use high test (E-10) as that is what the book and most guys on this forum recommend.
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2016, 11:37 am

Quote:
Do you always use high test, with or without ethanol? I've tried regular, mid grade, and high test and can't tell any difference in performance or MPG. I can't find E0 anywhere in this burecractic state of Illinois. I almost always use high test (E-10) as that is what the book and most guys on this forum recommend.
I always use high test E10. The earlier brick engines ( pre 05 ) can probably do lower octane but the later ones had a compression increase so they need that extra so not to knock as there is no knock sensor to retard the timing and prevent damage. Learned that from jzeller and others. I just use the best I can get regardless and not worry about it. Its only money. I have seen the sign where E0 is now for sale fr .30 more than regular at a close station but I don't know if it is high test or not. I think it is but I need to go have a look.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in