Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	7811   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01373 (Small).JPG
Views:	357
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	7812  

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cfell; Oct 27th, 2006 at 12:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

"Fix"

The "fix" is to replace the entire topcase.... !!!

I have other ideas... how about you?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Mine has the same wear pattern. But then, the dealer had to replace the latch mechanism too. I am going to try to file down the latch hooks to see if it makes any difference.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #4 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The pins are the same part as used on the K11 bikes, which are available separately. It's probably worth polishing out the latch hooks as well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:15 pm

It's in the FAQ, guys, originally posted by me years ago. The top case pins for the LT are not called out as separate parts in the K12LT parts book - but they ARE called out as separate parts in the K11LT parts book, and they're exactly the same pins. Couple bux each, as I recall, plus an additional 10 cents each if you also want the e-clips that hold the pin in place.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Part numbers!

Thanks Bob!
I used "search" and never got it to show.. my goof.

P/N 46-54-2-316-317 Pin $1.65 ea.
P/N 07-11-9-932-815 E-clip $0.10 ea.

Here is the link..
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

Peace...O, and yes, Meese, great idea to "polish" the hooks

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Thanks Bob!

Here is the link..
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

Peace...O, and yes, Meese, great idea to "polish" the hooks
Take your time polishing the hooks - they're surprisingly hard for a cheap looking piece of metal.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Definitely polish the hooks. The latch mechanism will break long before the pins. If the pin breaks it's no big deal compared to the latch mechanism breaking.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #9 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Unhappy Latch pins

CFELL, be sure and read-up on "broken trunk latch plates" and take preventive action ASAP! The same force that is wearing grooves in your pins will (soon) break your latch plate!
post #10 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:14 pm
Ric

latch wear

There is a ton of info regarding this problem. Best fix is to file/grind down the latch hooks a little at a time and try closing the lid. Eventually you will get to the point where the lid closes with little effort and with no wear and tear on the latch mech. Rick
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvRead
CFELL, be sure and read-up on "broken trunk latch plates" and take preventive action ASAP! The same force that is wearing grooves in your pins will (soon) break your latch plate!
Not necessarily. I've had half-sawn-though pins in my trunk for 100K miles, and I've not broken my trunk latch. In my case, they wore like that very early on during the life of the bike, then stopped wearing. I think it's more of a metalurgy problem than a friction problem. I think the best thing you can do for the longevity of your latch is to press down on the top of the trunk whenever you open or close it. That unloads almost all the pressure off the latch.

Regards,
-joel
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:14 pm

For those that have filed their latches....

Do you have a picture/template you could share or give me/us some idea of about how much had to come off and where?

TIA...
post #13 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 7:36 am

If you search the old forum for trunk latch you will find Mark Neblett's post with pictures on how much to grind off. I tried to copy and paste the link, no luck though.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #14 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 7:44 am

I put my pins in the trusty electric drill and held a file and took them to half their size to eliminate pressure. Seems to work great and I would sooner replace a broken pin than the latch.

Bankerboy

03 K1200LT
67 XLH
post #15 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Dec. Channing:

I remove the locking mechanism and "C" clips and placed the latch lock hoods in a vice and ground down the inside according to Mark Neblett's instructions. Smooth closure and no more problems; makes closing the trunk lid easy and still waterproof. Used a dremmel tool with a grinding stone and took off about 1/8th inch.

Peace Bro...

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, y'all... I'm considering these steps in the near future.

I have been "pressing" down on the topcase while closing and up until recently had kept them lubed...about 2 months ago when I did my 12k maintenance I forgot to lube them...

I'm going to lube them and polish them first.. then see if the dealer will replace the topcase =)...

Nah... I'm just gonna show them the part numbers and see if they will make it a "warranty" replacement..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #17 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:35 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Topcase Lid Latch pin wearing

Refreshing an old thread here... just noticed ths problem on my latch pins yesterday, the right one was cut half through.
Added some lube and made hell of a difference closing the lid.
Guess I'd best find some spare pins now too.
Wish I'd noticed this before the warranty was out, though they might not have covered it as general "wear and tear".

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 21 Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 8:13 am

Just a thought, since our handle broke only a couple of months ago. Up till that point, I did not notice the right side pin was worn more than half way through. Once I noticed that, I then realized the L fingers were not symmetrically balanced between the pins and when closing the lid very slowly, the pins where hitting the L fingers before the lid was even down.

The handle action had been smooth as silk when we got the bike and the handle breaking was the LAST thing I would have expected.

Nonetheless, it broke at 48K miles.

I was very fortunate to get a used OEM handle. I took everything apart, and found it necessary to remove nearly 1/2" of metal combined from both sides of the L fingers combined, to get them to fit properly. It now works great.

I then went to the dealer and showed both the owner and a perspective buyer of an 09 LT the problem with the NEW LT locking mechanism. The dealer said it was not even an issue......and I assure you at some point that 09 handle or latching system is going to break.

I did find it necessary to put the L fingers in a vise to do the grinding, so it was necessary to take it off more than a couple of times to get the proper fit.

I also used stainless screws with a nylon lock nut to mount in the top three holes. Rivets just did not work for me.

Very pleased with the outcome. I do NOT recommend elongating the holes in the actuator bars to take the pressure off the latch pins, as suggested in another thread.
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 6:44 pm

Garage
Re: Part numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Thanks Bob!

Why can't you go to your friendly Ace Hardware man & get something similar? I assume a small bolt will be of a softer material & not last as long.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 7:29 pm

My take on the latch problem is that the pin needs to roll each latch/unlatch cycle .So I made replacement pins out of 60-2 industrial roller chain master link pin , cut them to length with dremmel like cutoff wheel and turned an external C clip groove in each end , had to drill the top case pin holes a couple thousand larger . Installed and lubed ,still smooth and not a scratch in the pins . Did not grind the latch fingers as they are formed sheet metal that has probably been case hardened and if you grind through the case hardened surface it might start to wear out of shape .
Might be able to use the shanks of a twist drill to make the pins also as they are through hardened like roller chain link pins
I never push down on top case while closing it ,just make sure that the helmet or what ever is not holding things up ,that will also save the mirror hinge pins from having to be repaired like mine have been .

Bob G
99Lt
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 24th, 2008, 11:48 am

Since we're rehashing an old thread, here's another solution from the good old dayz: remove one of the pins on one side of the case lid. The lid still locks tight with only one pin, is still waterproof, and the heavy pressure needed on the handle is gone. Lynn Keen told me this - I tried it, and it worked fine.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in