Shinko 777 HD - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeERideWNC
  • 1 Post By MikeERideWNC
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 5:34 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
azccj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ, US
Posts: 181
Shinko 777 HD

I installed a new Shinko 777 HD today on my 2005 LT. Installed no problem and the tire has about 1/2 inch of clearance on the swing arm so no problem there. It appears that the profile of the Shinko is more rounded than that of the Metzeler ME880 Marathon it replaced. Something I like about the Metzeler is it never developed the normal rear wheel center flat spot that most rear tires do, it seemed to wear evenly from one side of the tread to the other. The Metzeler that got replaced today had about 11,500 miles on it so I was happy with it's longevity. I only have 1 mile on the Shinko but at $111.00 delivered I'll give it a try and see how it performs and wears.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
azccj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 6:57 pm
Senior Member
 
bjedruszczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange, California, USA
Posts: 231
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Thanks for the info.
I have never heard of anyone riding on those. Hopefully you verified whether the load specs match the requirements for LT.
Keep us posted,
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
bjedruszczak is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 7:04 pm
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: Shinko 777 HD

I just checked there website and they do not list a K1200LT on their fitment list. You can buy a Bridgestone for $129.00. Why would you chance a blowout for $18.00 savings. I just do not get it, why people take such chances with their lives for $18.00. Good Luck and I hope it does well for your sake.

Scott
2007 LT
norton is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 7:29 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
azccj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ, US
Posts: 181
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I just checked there website and they do not list a K1200LT on their fitment list. You can buy a Bridgestone for $129.00. Why would you chance a blowout for $18.00 savings. I just do not get it, why people take such chances with their lives for $18.00. Good Luck and I hope it does well for your sake.
And why would I be chancing a blowout using the tire I'm using, isn't the Shinko rated the same as the Metzeler ME880? As for the Bridgestones, aren't they radials? And doesn't the 2005-2009 LT call for Bias tires? I chose the tire I did not to save $18.00 but because there are so few options considering that they don't make the ME880 anymore, and I've read others here having problems fitting Metzeler's ME888 because it rubs on the swing arm. So tell me Mr know-it-all, what tire should I have bought and mounted on my bike????

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
azccj is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 9:04 pm
Senior Member
 
want2tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sandpoint, ID area
Posts: 275
Re: Shinko 777 HD

extra wheel spacer = no rub on the metzeler.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
want2tour is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 9:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,300
Re: Shinko 777 HD

If you really want to know about the Shinko 777 check out this review

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old Sep 7th, 2016, 9:47 am
Senior Member
 
MikeERideWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murphy, NC, USA
Posts: 793
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Good for you...
I am pretty sure I am going to the Shinko 777 after this 888 finishes pissing me off.
It fits my 2005 just fine, but the ride is Sh!T.
I expected ME880 quality or better from the 888 and the performance is just terrible.
If I were beating on it like I do to every other tire, I could understand.
But I completely changed my riding style when I hop on the LT. I had to. This LT drags everything before I even get my knee down.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
MikeERideWNC is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old Sep 7th, 2016, 10:05 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,172
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
And why would I be chancing a blowout using the tire I'm using, isn't the Shinko rated the same as the Metzeler ME880? As for the Bridgestones, aren't they radials? And doesn't the 2005-2009 LT call for Bias tires? I chose the tire I did not to save $18.00 but because there are so few options considering that they don't make the ME880 anymore, and I've read others here having problems fitting Metzeler's ME888 because it rubs on the swing arm. So tell me Mr know-it-all, what tire should I have bought and mounted on my bike????
The Bridgestone tires for the LT are bias ply.

It appears that the Shinko is properly rated for the LT, but it is worrisome that Shinko doesn't list it as fitment for the LT. Could be an oversight. Could be a real reason. Only Shinko can answer that question.

If you own a 2005+ LT, I believe the only tires properly rated and recommended by the manufacturer for the LT are the Metz 880 and the Bridgestone BT020. You are playing test rider on any other tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	55
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	115218  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old Sep 7th, 2016, 10:39 am
Senior Member
 
MikeERideWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murphy, NC, USA
Posts: 793
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Why do you keep arguing with any tire post which doesn't meet the criteria set in your closed mind?
All you are doing is increasing your post count. Your join date and mine are the same. The only difference is, I ride a motorcycle often.
Maybe try pushing away from the keyboard and go for a ride. Then you might see that we all have freedoms to do what we want in this country...
Well until your girl Hillary get elected.
You're probably the same guy who won't try quilted toilet paper because you like the feel of the Sears and Roebuck catalog. Lighten up, times change!
Five69 likes this.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
MikeERideWNC is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old Sep 7th, 2016, 12:15 pm
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
And why would I be chancing a blowout using the tire I'm using, isn't the Shinko rated the same as the Metzeler ME880? As for the Bridgestones, aren't they radials? And doesn't the 2005-2009 LT call for Bias tires? I chose the tire I did not to save $18.00 but because there are so few options considering that they don't make the ME880 anymore, and I've read others here having problems fitting Metzeler's ME888 because it rubs on the swing arm. So tell me Mr know-it-all, what tire should I have bought and mounted on my bike????
Well Mr. Know Nothing, see the paragraph below which comes directly from Shinko/WPS US importers web site:

When choosing replacement tires, what is the best method of selecting the right size and type of tires for my motorcycle?

We recommend that you first consult the owner's manual for your motorcycle to find the original size of the front and rear tires. Once you know the sizes, it is imperative that you only purchase tires of the same size recommended in the owner's manual.


Tire manufacturers want to sell lots of tires, so if Shinko does not recommend this tire for the LT, well think about it! Size is not the most important factor, manufacturer ratings are. This tire is not reinforced or V rated.

Do what you will.

Scott
2007 LT
norton is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old Sep 7th, 2016, 2:42 pm
Senior Member
 
want2tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sandpoint, ID area
Posts: 275
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Not sure what the problem is with the ME888. I just gleaned over 19000 miles from my last set of marathons and the only time the rear tire ever tried to step out on me in rain was on wet cattle guards. Liked them enough to put the same tires back on. I thought they performed very well. And I don't ride like a granny.
Plus when I'm rolling at 85mph thru a sweeper, I don't want to wonder if my tire bead is stout enough.
Recently I had the experience of running thru some west texas sweepers at that speed with high ambient temp & high humidity. Right at the apex of one sweeper, I hit a huge tar patch and the rear did step out about a foot, but then caught and held. There was even an oncoming truck at that moment.
Situations like that call for a tire that's precisely spec'd for the bike. Had to be a lot of lateral force when the tire caught. I'd want a stiff tire that won't break loose from the rim no matter what. Cheap insurance. But do what you want. I know I will.


Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Last edited by want2tour; Sep 7th, 2016 at 4:16 pm.
want2tour is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old Sep 7th, 2016, 3:00 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
azccj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ, US
Posts: 181
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Well Mr. Know Nothing, see the paragraph below which comes directly from Shinko/WPS US importers web site:

When choosing replacement tires, what is the best method of selecting the right size and type of tires for my motorcycle?

We recommend that you first consult the owner's manual for your motorcycle to find the original size of the front and rear tires. Once you know the sizes, it is imperative that you only purchase tires of the same size recommended in the owner's manual.


Tire manufacturers want to sell lots of tires, so if Shinko does not recommend this tire for the LT, well think about it! Size is not the most important factor, manufacturer ratings are. This tire is not reinforced or V rated.

Do what you will.
Well Mr Know-it-all, the Shinko 777 HD is reinforced and while it's not v rated, I know the only way your going to get a K1200lt to do 130+ mph is to drive it off of a very high cliff or drop it out of a flying airplane. But thank you Mr Know-it-all for giving me your permission to do what I will.

Now for those other than Mr Know-it-all. I went for a ride last night and I can tell you I really like the way the bike rides with the Shinko on the back. Much more steady when hitting irregularities in the the roadway compared to the Metzeler, and the Shinko gives a very smooth ride. If the Shinko lasts for 10,000 miles I'm going to be a very happy LT rider. Time and miles will tell.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Last edited by azccj; Sep 7th, 2016 at 3:07 pm.
azccj is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old Sep 7th, 2016, 3:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,172
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
Well Mr Know-it-all, the Shinko 777 HD is reinforced and while it's not v rated, I know the only way your going to get a K1200lt to do 130+ mph is to drive it off of a very high cliff or drop it out of a flying airplane. But thank you Mr Know-it-all for giving me your permission to do what I will.

Now for those other than Mr Know-it-all. I went for a ride last night and I can tell you I really like the way the bike rides with the Shinko on the back. Much more steady when hitting irregularities in the the roadway compared to the Metzeler, and the Shinko gives a very smooth ride. If the Shinko lasts for 10,000 miles I'm going to be a very happy LT rider. Time and miles will tell.
Might want to try this next. Will give you many more miles than the Shinko.


Car tire

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old Sep 8th, 2016, 10:28 am
Senior Member
 
MikeERideWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murphy, NC, USA
Posts: 793
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Not sure what the problem is with the ME888. I just gleaned over 19000 miles from my last set of marathons and the only time the rear tire ever tried to step out on me in rain was on wet cattle guards. Liked them enough to put the same tires back on. I thought they performed very well. And I don't ride like a granny.
Plus when I'm rolling at 85mph thru a sweeper, I don't want to wonder if my tire bead is stout enough.
Recently I had the experience of running thru some west texas sweepers at that speed with high ambient temp & high humidity. Right at the apex of one sweeper, I hit a huge tar patch and the rear did step out about a foot, but then caught and held. There was even an oncoming truck at that moment.
Situations like that call for a tire that's precisely spec'd for the bike. Had to be a lot of lateral force when the tire caught. I'd want a stiff tire that won't break loose from the rim no matter what. Cheap insurance. But do what you want. I know I will.


Bob
If I get 6K miles out of the ME888 I will be happy. On my last LT I could easily get 4K out of the ME880.
My riding conditions are MUCH better than yours!
Like my other post the current LT does not lean as far as my 2002. So tires should last a little longer.
I am betting my LT wishes it was still in Connecticut with the last owner. I bet he got 19K out of a set of tires, too.
If I am riding a bike to the point where I get 19K miles on tires, I will stop riding and just drive a car.

Just watch your mirrors... move right so we can pass you.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
MikeERideWNC is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old Sep 8th, 2016, 11:21 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,015
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
If I get 6K miles out of the ME888 I will be happy. On my last LT I could easily get 4K out of the ME880.
My riding conditions are MUCH better than yours!
Like my other post the current LT does not lean as far as my 2002. So tires should last a little longer.
I am betting my LT wishes it was still in Connecticut with the last owner. I bet he got 19K out of a set of tires, too.
If I am riding a bike to the point where I get 19K miles on tires, I will stop riding and just drive a car.

Just watch your mirrors... move right so we can pass you.
I need to get a little more mileage out of my ME880. I am a little over 5K and they were pretty new when i got the bike so lets say 6K total. I have a BT-20 mounted on my spare rim but when I do pull the 880 off, I may try the Shinko 777. Yes, it is only a H speed rating (19 MPH difference) and I do know more goes into the speed rating in tire construction than just MPH but with a 79 reinforced load rating and the way I ride, I would feel pretty safe that the tire would hold up as I rarely even hit 90. By then, more will be using this tire I think and providing feedback on how it holds up under different types of usage. Those putting a lower load rated tire on and boasting about it on this forum as an appropriate thing to do I think are doing a disservice to the community though. Yes, our properly rated tire selection is very limited. It is what it is. The 777 might just fit the bill though as an acceptable addition in many cases. JMO


MikeE, If I see you coming, I will get over but only if I have to

I know the roads in your area and ride there when I can. If anyone is able to test out a tires life, it is you. Those roads are brutal on tires if ridden with enthusiasm but boy are they fun.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
post #16 of 21 Old Nov 14th, 2016, 5:58 am
Member
 
58caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 48
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you really want to know about the Shinko 777 check out this review
Guess I know which rear tire I'm going with next. Which will be fairly soon.
58caddy is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 18th, 2016, 11:53 am
Junior Member
 
cornfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Just so were all clear here, the directions Shinko Has posted etc are written that way for liability. The tire listed is FINE for the LT because it meets the criteria. The tires BMW lists are that way because they were there at the time all this was posted. Things are not going to be updated immediately every time something new comes out. The tire meets the load rating criteria etc which IS meeting the manufacturers recommendations. Shinko makes excellent drag racing tires, excellent tires for touring etc, im willing to bet this tire will probably do well also. Not sure why people are getting so fired up, aftermarket items are totally fine as long as requirements are met. Yup, I'm new here, but dad was a bike mechanic my entire life, HD school graduate, and later factory trained on Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, AND BMW. Tires should be great, give em a ride and let us know what you think.
cornfed is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old Nov 18th, 2016, 12:11 pm
Junior Member
 
cornfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Well Mr. Know Nothing, see the paragraph below which comes directly from Shinko/WPS US importers web site:

When choosing replacement tires, what is the best method of selecting the right size and type of tires for my motorcycle?

We recommend that you first consult the owner's manual for your motorcycle to find the original size of the front and rear tires. Once you know the sizes, it is imperative that you only purchase tires of the same size recommended in the owner's manual.


Tire manufacturers want to sell lots of tires, so if Shinko does not recommend this tire for the LT, well think about it! Size is not the most important factor, manufacturer ratings are. This tire is not reinforced or V rated.

Do what you will.
I just wanted to point out that the print used to try and reinforce Nortons opinion in fact says NOTHING about type / Manufacturer of tire but does in fact clearly say to use the owners manual to get the right size etc, which I believe the Shinko is. Maybe im missing something here? It says same SIZE of the recommended tires, not make or model... Just throwing that out there. im done here... Try the veal....
cornfed is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 11:27 am
Senior Member
 
MarkF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Meriden, CT, USA
Posts: 229
Re: Shinko 777 HD

So my question is...
Does Shinko make a tire to fir the front of my LT?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MarkF is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 12:37 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,015
Re: Shinko 777 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
So my question is...
Does Shinko make a tire to fir the front of my LT?
Mark, I did some quick checking and Shinko does make tires the right size that are rated 58 V or higher but I did not see a biased ply among the ones I found so if you feel the need to run a biased ply tire, they may not have one for you or I didn't see one listed as such.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 9:24 pm
cws
Senior Member
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,183
Garage
Re: Shinko 777 HD

You could also look into the Michelin PR4GT tyre - dual construction...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/tires/16...-front-lt.html

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ulysses #45310
GS911


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cws is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TIRE REVIEW: Shinko 777 H.D. rear / IRC RX-01 front That Guy K1200LT 65 Aug 20th, 2018 2:50 pm
SS1000 and my Shinko rear tire garage monster K1200LT 12 May 18th, 2016 11:18 am
Shinko tires Bajasteve K1200LT 32 Jan 23rd, 2016 7:06 pm
Anyone try a Shinko Tire? hphammer K1200LT 4 Feb 28th, 2011 11:58 am
Anyone have experience with Shinko Tires Nebish Tires 7 Jun 17th, 2009 5:26 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome