Clunking brake unit noise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:49 am Thread Starter

Question Clunking brake unit noise

Whenever I apply the front brakes first at low speed I hear a clunking noise near my right foot (one clunk noise per squeeze of the handle). This does not happen if I first apply the rear and then the front.
I have new brake pads all around, although I don't think this matters...
The ABS lights indicate everything is normal. The brakes work fine, but I am just concerned this little noise can be the start of something expensive if I don't fix it first.
Any suggestions as to what to check?
TIA!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:49 am

Strange noises are always worth review.....

Put bike on CS, sit on the "back" to raise the front wheel. Have a friend spin the front wheel looking for problems.. Once the wheel has some speed on it, apply the front brake and see if it makes the noise.. maybe you can isolate it...

I don't know about the "lower right"... On my '05 I get that noise from the front at low speed as well... Dealer explained it was just movement (slack/tolerances) in the pads, calipers, disc being taken up. When moving faster, the disc is decellerating and three's enough vibration to allow the components to make contact.

I "tested" this by keeping a steady speed then tapping the front or rear brake... and yup, I could hear the sound. If I roll off the throttle and apply the front brake I don't usually hear the brake noise...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:02 am

My front brakes can make a strange noise when it is cold. It is somewhat of a squeek and clunk combination. I told my dealer about it and they decided that it was the floating disk. They said that if it got bad they could replace the bolts that hold the disk. Over the years it hasn't gotten worse. I heard it again the last time I had it out. It was a little cool in the morning but it still surprised me as I hadn't heard it in months. Hopefully yours is somthing similar.

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:10 am

You didn't say what brake pads you put on the front. Are they BMW or EBC pads? If EBC, then that is a likely probability for the noise as they do not have rattle clips built into them like the BMW pads do. If BMW pads, then I'm clueless (that's an opening if I ever saw one ).

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:51 am

I have a similar clunking noise coming from my brakes. I just had the 12k service done and figure if it was an issue, I would've heard about it.
Mine seems to come from the rear of the bike especially at low speeds and/or when cornering (5-10mph). It may only happen when I apply the brake. It definitely doesn't sound right. Then again, there are a lot of things about the bike - k-whine, squeeky brakes, rear-wheel groaning, etc - that doesn't necessarily mean a problem.
The rear wheel spins perfectly when on the centerstand.
Is my rubbing/clunking the same as zippy's? Anyone else have this? Is it a problem?
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:46 am

Talking my 05

does the same same cluncking noise. I also notice it the most when i ride at slow speeds with my ear plugs removed.!
I do not worry about it. It is not often that I go slow and without the plugs.
did have some help doing the suggested (above) test. traced noise to calipers. Decided to just keep riding it.
Also considered and rejected just turning up the radio.

JUST RIDE IT

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:53 am

It does the "clunk" mostly and worse after I wash the bike....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
It does the "clunk" mostly and worse after I wash the bike....
As clean as your bike is, then the noise must be there all the time.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #9 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

I replaced all the pads before my trip to Fort Bragg last weekend, so I put over 1,300 miles on them now. They are EBC pads.
The bike is now dirty so I cannot blame water for the noise...
I guess you guys are right about either the pads rattling or the disk(s) not floating properly.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #10 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:46 pm

Clunk - near right foot when braking.

Could it be drive line slack being taken up in the 'other' direction as you brake???

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #11 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Noisey Clunks

I experience this as well - especially after leaving the bike overnight or reversing it out of the garage and after reversing. My take on it is that the floating disks will push back the pads, and if the bobbins are sticky this will highlight the issue. When you apply the rear brake gentle pressure is applied to the front brake as well but that will only move the pads slowly towards the disks and gradually grip the them. Now imagine if the powered front brakes had been applied - they would fairly fly out and grab the disk. Now as the disk has been 'floating around' it could grab it at any point and this could cause the disk to be pulled into line, against the bobbins, and this would produce a clunk.

If I were to check anything it would be that the boddins are in good condition and maybe grease them very carefully.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Clunk - near right foot when braking.

Could it be drive line slack being taken up in the 'other' direction as you brake???
yeah.. Tate has a point.. does this noise occur when rolling power on/off minus the brake application?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
yeah.. Tate has a point.. does this noise occur when rolling power on/off minus the brake application?
Nope! Only when I apply the front brakes. And If I apply the just the rear brakes, or the rear brakes first there is no clunking noise.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #14 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
I experience this as well - especially after leaving the bike overnight or reversing it out of the garage and after reversing. My take on it is that the floating disks will push back the pads, and if the bobbins are sticky this will highlight the issue. When you apply the rear brake gentle pressure is applied to the front brake as well but that will only move the pads slowly towards the disks and gradually grip the them. Now imagine if the powered front brakes had been applied - they would fairly fly out and grab the disk. Now as the disk has been 'floating around' it could grab it at any point and this could cause the disk to be pulled into line, against the bobbins, and this would produce a clunk.

If I were to check anything it would be that the boddins are in good condition and maybe grease them very carefully.
I think we may be headed in the right direction here...! I'll try that! FYI, the bike was in Pittsburgh until I bought it in March of this year. I am not sure if the PO rode in the rain or on salted roads.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Common problem with Brake noise?

I have a 2002 LT here in the UK - bought it about 3 months ago.
On the day I got the bike I notice this clunking and paid a rapid visit to the BMW dealer. I was advised that on bikes with Powered Brakes this is a problem (or rather a feature).

I have the problem only at low speed (under 5mph say at a petrol station). Pulling the front brake encourages a loud clunk of the brakes on each pull - the dealer says its just the pistons firing the pads onto the disc. I've noticed if I apply the rear brake first I get little (or no noise). So, comforted by the dealer I continue to ride and the brakes are fantastic.

I have heard others via the many message here say they have this problem (not so on pre Powered Brake' models (before 2002); others say its down to the make of pads. You sound like you've had the bike for a while and this has just become noticeable?

My biggest issue is brake squeal (no chance of sneaking up on someone - the brakes sound like metal on metal sometimes). Again much is written here about his, many say swap your pads for SBS pads and this problem goes away!!

Good luck.
jeremy
post #16 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_gibson
I have a 2002 LT here in the UK - bought it about 3 months ago.
On the day I got the bike I notice this clunking and paid a rapid visit to the BMW dealer. I was advised that on bikes with Powered Brakes this is a problem (or rather a feature).

I have the problem only at low speed (under 5mph say at a petrol station). Pulling the front brake encourages a loud clunk of the brakes on each pull - the dealer says its just the pistons firing the pads onto the disc. I've noticed if I apply the rear brake first I get little (or no noise). So, comforted by the dealer I continue to ride and the brakes are fantastic.

I have heard others via the many message here say they have this problem (not so on pre Powered Brake' models (before 2002); others say its down to the make of pads. You sound like you've had the bike for a while and this has just become noticeable?

My biggest issue is brake squeal (no chance of sneaking up on someone - the brakes sound like metal on metal sometimes). Again much is written here about his, many say swap your pads for SBS pads and this problem goes away!!

Good luck.
jeremy
There was always a bit of that clunking noise since I bought the bike, but it has become more prevalent about 1,000 miles after replacing the pads all around. Maybe they are just settling in... I also have a little bit of the rear brake squeal, but not that bad at all so I am not concerned with that.
I guess I am experiencing the same symptoms as you, low speed only, and front brake only at every pull.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #17 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Had the "clunk/clank" sound at slow speeds after initially applying brakes and rolling a few feet. Sound disappears with brakes applied to a full stop..

Had it in for the 36K check and dealer said it was coming from the floating rear brake disc. Checked the 'play' on the rear disc and it is a little bit loose. The rear tire has no movement at all.

Bike runs great. The sound is loud to attract attention of bystanders(embarassing, to say the least).

Am keeping an eye on it though..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in