New 99 LT Owner seeking advice. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:51 am Thread Starter

New 99 LT Owner seeking advice.

I've been lurking here since mid June gathering info trying to decide between LT and GL1800. Looking for something to replace my Yamaha Venture.

Well deal came up on a friends 99 LT with 92,000 miles for $5,000 so I bought it.
It had the rear drive replaced at 75K and he rode it to Vermont Rally from Alabama so I figured it had some good miles left.

Happy to say I've put over 4K miles on it in last 3 weeks without any trouble.
But I need another seat. It has Corbin heated seat with backrest that doesn't work for my butt plus original stock seat.

After searching past "seat" posts, I'm thinking of getting Russell Day-Long since I'm 6' 3" 265lbs with a big gut and small boney butt.
I would love advice from those that have Russell and whether you got the heated option etc.

Also I have 96k service due since I just went over 96k this week. The two nearest dealers are Millers in Tallahassee and Bogarts in B'ham. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance and I have enjoyed being here the last few months getting educated on the LT.
Mick S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:47 am

I have a '99 myself. Just been servicing it myself - it isnt that hard really. Get the Climer book and your away. Will save a fortune and you will get to know the bike.
If you want to sell that corbin - work out a price, I may be interested.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 4:48 am

Watch for John Rehder or Dave Dragon & LynnKeen to have a 'tech session' - you'll learn a lot and save a bundle. They're in the SE thread
I put over 140,000 miles on my 83 Venture before the transition to the LT. I thought the world of the Venture, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the LT
Everyone who has ever dealt with Tallahassee has left happy
Good Riding!
Dave

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickS

Happy to say I've put over 4K miles on it in last 3 weeks without any trouble.
But I need another seat. It has Corbin heated seat with backrest that doesn't work for my butt plus original stock seat.

After searching past "seat" posts, I'm thinking of getting Russell Day-Long since I'm 6' 3" 265lbs with a big gut and small boney butt.
I would love advice from those that have Russell and whether you got the heated option etc.

Thanks in advance and I have enjoyed being here the last few months getting educated on the LT.
Mick S
Hi Mick,

For Russell to build you a seat they need a stock seat pan. I had my seat redone by them and if your stock seat has heating there is no extra charge.
They will do just the drivers seat if that is all you need.

I am 6' and 265 and the stock seat on my 02 was good for about 2 hours. Last ride was 8-9 hrs with the Russell and its not even broke in yet.

Second bike with a Russell and am very happy with their product and service.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Dave:
I always said I wanted a bike that was smooth and came alive at high RPMs like the early Ventures just newer and the K12LT fits that bill and more.

I have the BMW CD and Paul Sayegh's DVDs and plan to do most of the service stuff but don't think I up to valve adjustment yet.
I have taken a few bikes apart that never got back together in my past that my wife can't seem to forget. Not afraid to get hands dirty just not a talent with a wrench.
I did the fluids, carb sync, diaphrams etc. on the Venture.
I will watch for tech sessions and try Millers as needed.
Do I still have a use for my Carb-Tune II sync tool now?

Roy:
Thats good to hear. I wanted to be sure there spring system works for us big boys cause I seem to feel the butt bones on the pan with most seats after a few hours. My stock seat has no heat so it is $170 to add. Not sure about adding yet.

c00k1e:
I will list Corbin here when Russell is on if I go that route.

Thanks for replies
Mick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in