Avon 3DXM correct pressures. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tricky_dickey
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,387
Talking Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

Just got these Avon 3DXM's. Put over 100 miles on them. Still running 48 psi rear. 40/42 front. Is this what pressures to run? I did in the storm 2's and they did good.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
james216 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 4:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,172
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Just got these Avon 3DXM's. Put over 100 miles on them. Still running 48 psi rear. 40/42 front. Is this what pressures to run? I did in the storm 2's and they did good.
The LT seems to like 48/42. As long as these don't exceed the max on the tire, I would stick with them.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 5:15 pm
Senior Member
 
Tricky_dickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 169
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

i put 1000 miles on mine now and tried lower the pressure and it was all mushy and sloppy frelling - so I put it back up and now it's fine again
ProfSnape likes this.
Tricky_dickey is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 6:05 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,893
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

The only Avon tires I have tried on my LT were the Storm 2 Ultra. By the time I got the rear tire pressure up so I didn't have the squirrely feeling the tire spun off of almost every corner in the mountains. I was so disappointed in them I don't know if I will ever try the 3DXM. The Storm 2 Ultra were also the worst tires I have ever rode in the rain.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 12:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
The only Avon tires I have tried on my LT were the Storm 2 Ultra. By the time I got the rear tire pressure up so I didn't have the squirrely feeling the tire spun off of almost every corner in the mountains. I was so disappointed in them I don't know if I will ever try the 3DXM. The Storm 2 Ultra were also the worst tires I have ever rode in the rain.
Wow Dave, I have just the opposite experience/opinion. I love the storm 2s. They have been so much better on wet than the metz were. Handle tar snakes better as well. Although I have never exceeded the recommended pressure on the sidewall, I believe is 42. I have the 3DXM on the front now and one for the rear waiting for the storm to wear out.

I know you have a lot of experience and do a lot of spirited riding so I value your opinions. Could it be that there is so much difference in pavement materials that we have different experiences with the same tire? I know I do every once in a while, hit a patch of highway that seems to be paved differently that feels uncomfortable.
Buff8stuff is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 4:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,172
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
Wow Dave, I have just the opposite experience/opinion. I love the storm 2s. They have been so much better on wet than the metz were. Handle tar snakes better as well. Although I have never exceeded the recommended pressure on the sidewall, I believe is 42. I have the 3DXM on the front now and one for the rear waiting for the storm to wear out.

I know you have a lot of experience and do a lot of spirited riding so I value your opinions. Could it be that there is so much difference in pavement materials that we have different experiences with the same tire? I know I do every once in a while, hit a patch of highway that seems to be paved differently that feels uncomfortable.
I suspect roads and temps have a significant impact. I am an outlier in that I found the Metz 880s the best handling tires overall including rain and tar snakes, but no tire can really handle a hot tar snake.

I ran a Bridgestone on the rear with 880 on front and found the handling unchanged compared to the rear Metz. I decided to try a front Bridgestone just for grins and it feels less secure then the 880. So, once worn out I will return to the 880 on the front with the much longer lasting Bridgestone on the rear.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I suspect roads and temps have a significant impact. I am an outlier in that I found the Metz 880s the best handling tires overall including rain and tar snakes, but no tire can really handle a hot tar snake.

I ran a Bridgestone on the rear with 880 on front and found the handling unchanged compared to the rear Metz. I decided to try a front Bridgestone just for grins and it feels less secure then the 880. So, once worn out I will return to the 880 on the front with the much longer lasting Bridgestone on the rear.
I have noticed that when it's really warm, the tar snakes are much more noticeable when I first pull out of the parking structure at work. It does seem that after a few minutes they become less of a problem. I've been thinking this is due to the cold tires when I first hit the street that are well warmed up in short order.
As I stated above, I have hit certain areas of pavement that do make me uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if it's the pavement materials or shape that does it. There are some roads that seem to have an excessive crown. I also see a lot of "Pavement test section" signs here and back home as well.
Buff8stuff is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2016, 5:59 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,893
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

Riding to & from the Iron Horse Lodge going up over Black Mountain on I-40 in the rain I was loaded about 1,300 lbs total weight. I thought I was going to crash with the front Avon on the tar snakes. I had to slow down way under the speed limit & stay in the right lane. I suspect it was the radial side wall flexing. I'm not sure if I will try the 3DXM or not.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2016, 8:41 am
Senior Member
 
Tricky_dickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 169
Re: Avon 3DXM correct pressures.

i found the Metz the worst thing ever - peeled them off after 1000 miles
Tricky_dickey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avon 3DXM front/Rear james216 K1200LT 3 Aug 4th, 2016 9:03 pm
Update: Avon 3D XM Tyres Defaoite Tires 4 Mar 21st, 2015 12:21 pm
Two Up Tire Pressure? gphusky1 RT Series 43 Sep 20th, 2013 9:55 am
Avon pressures Zeke Tires 4 Sep 18th, 2007 4:59 pm
AVON AV45/46 Long Term Report lovetomotor Tires 16 Jul 19th, 2007 10:24 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome