Droppers Anonymous, the options... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: which "droppers anonymous" goodie would you pony up for?
"Decal" 12 16.90%
"Pin" 17 23.94%
"Both a Decal and a Pin" 42 59.15%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Droppers Anonymous, the options...

OK, "challenge coins" didn't seem to get much response, so I'm not pursuing that option.

I looked and looked, and couldn't find a cliosone-type badge, similar to the roundel, that could be manufactured and placed on the bike in a similar size to the one on the front tupperware in one color that would be less than $40 each with a minimum purchase of 50, so I am ruling that out.

Leaving two options...and see the poll.

1. a computer/die-cut, rub-on decal (see my "deer" on my avatar pic below for the type of decal I am talking about), in silver reflective lettering that will be three lines reading:

If you can read this...
stop laughing and help me pick up my LT.
BMWLT.com Droppers Anonymous

2. A custom jacket/lapel pin (enameled--is that spelled right?), cut in the shape of an LT, possibly an almost exact replica if I can pull that off...with a subtle "D.A." enscribed (remember the original thread, we laughed about how D.A. can have the double meaning of Droppers Anonymous and Dumb Ass...)

Either way, the best price break I can find for a small minimum is 50 items, and both would run about $5. I DO NOT want to make a penny on this, so plan on me posting a copy of the invoice and adding only the cost of a suitable envelope and postage for those who want "in."

Poll options are gonna' be:

1. "decal"

2. "pin"

and

3. "both"

(if you don't like the options, you're welcome not to participate, or come up with something else, hey, I tried!)

I'll let this run until SUNDAY NOVEMBER 5th and then post the "results" at which time I'll ask people to respond with how many of the "winning option" they are willing to commit to. Historically, I've gotten screwed on these things, so I am counting on people who expressed interest to follow through on this, as I anticipate the result will be me purchasing at least 50 of each...which will involve me investing $500 in money you all have to promise NOT to tell my other half about in stickers and pins that I don't want to make any money on!

let the voting begin...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:58 am

I've tried to help Pete out by putting a poll here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:01 am

Let me know your Paypal address and I will send prompt payment, even before you order. I love the idea. I will take both.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:20 am

neither

I wouldn't pay for either. jrlakin
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:45 am

Although the decal is a fantastic and hilarious quote, I don't like the idea of putting stickers on the bike. I think the pin is a great idea.
I will purchase whichever option wins (or both).
I'd plan on mailing you a check & a return envelope for your services. I don't have paypal.
Thanks for all the work on this!
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Thanks for your work on this. Just voted.

You might want to check out David Shealey's thread on some tech stuff he volunteered to order, assemble, create, weld, quilt, fabricate and otherwise spend personal time on.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 5:17 pm Thread Starter

I must have bumped my head harder than I thought...

JR, why would you bother taking the time to post if you're not interested?

I think the general idea behiind the decal was to put it UNDER the bike somewhere that only "those in the know" would know about, but I get the drift. For what it's worth, the place I've talked to handed out instruction sheets that say that a hair-dryer on hot will allow for the decal to remove without any residual remains at any point.

We'll see how the polls run, and I'll order up whatever comes of it, if I get screwed, then i'll have a bunch of "giveaways" for the ol' desk drawer, i still believe in people so there!

Have a good weekend everyone, I'm gonna' be licking my wounds (from another post) after being chastized for using a cell phone, even though I wasn't TALKING on the damn thing, only plugging it into the car charger....I should have just loaded up a BMR shelf with a GPS, radar detector, XM radio, put an official BMW cupholder on the left handlebar for a starbucks quarduple latte, thrown on an ICE controller for an i-pod, added a satellite radar screen, then apparently people wouldn't feel it necessary to tell me what a dick I am for having a cell phone in my car, despite the fact that I was clear about not TALKING on it when I caused myself great bodily harm and ruined my dream car. (I'd shake my head, but I can't move it yet)

Cheers!

post #8 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:43 pm

I'll get my sister to mail you US$ as she is in VA, and you can mail the badges/decals to to her in VA. We often send each other little packages, so adding a badge or two is no problemo.

I'd be happy to give you money up front.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:44 pm

I would not worry about be chastized about plugging the cell phone. WHo here has not? YOu just happened to pick the wrong time. No one got seriously injuried so tell them to lay off.
We appreciate your efforts on the pin/decal and I will send the money whenever you ask for it. I might even buy more for my local LT buddies. I would even through one the 4runner just fot that inside joke that only us LTers would get.

Hope you feel better soon. Last accident I got into it took me a good couple of weeks to recover. I got rearended in a parking lot about 10 years ago, btw, it was my fault. My back still acts up once in awhile.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:21 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I wouldn't pay for either. jrlakin
Why would you even take the time to answer then ??? Just can't figure some people out

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 5:02 am

The pin gets my vote, I'm not really into having stickers on my bike.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:36 am

I'll be needing 2 of each. One sticker for each side of the bike. One pin for myself and my S.O. who has ridden her down with me a couple of times. Once in the mud. D.A. again Could there be a sticker that is reflective? That would be kewl.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 2:28 pm

I like both

I would definetely be up for both,neat idea.What about those static type stickers you know the kind you put on your windows and such does any one know how you would go about having those made up. Just an idea. Thanks for taking the bull by the horns on this.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black
"Do We Stop Playing because we grow Old
Or do We Grow Old because We Stop Playing."
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

few more days...

if all goes right, the decal will be reflective and will have a separate LT with "DA" written in it, so if you choose, you can only rub that part onto somewhere on your motor...

now if I can just get a cell phone added to it...

post #15 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
if all goes right, the decal will be reflective and will have a separate LT with "DA" written in it, so if you choose, you can only rub that part onto somewhere on your motor...

now if I can just get a cell phone added to it...
Pete - you have'n 'em done in the DFW area, or on the www? I may tap ya for some info after you've run interference, cuz I'm workin' on a leetle personal project that might benefit from your experience. Nuttin' firm yet, and I'm slower'n molasses fillin' up waffle dents (ooops, bad word!! ) when it comes to projects that tap my lottery allowance. Anyway, just curious what route your taking?
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

locally, the guys that did my "no deer" sticker are based in DFW, but I have another line on a place that is a chain, when I know what is cheaper and better, I'll include it!

post #17 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 5:23 pm

But wait, There's more

I'd probably be up for a few of both...a set for myself and a spare or two to carry so that the award could be given when you witness your friends drop.

Then you'd need another little sticker with the LT laying "tits up" so you could add another for each time you've dropped it...

And they should come both left and right sided and the lettering should be readable when the bike is on that side...

And then of course a pin for your hat....

And a bell........

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #18 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 8:34 pm

NO LT...but hell, I've dropped everything else!

I am the DropMaster!

Thanks,
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 8:57 am Thread Starter

what was I thinking???

dang, if I had really thought this through, I could have made a whole line of products, created "D.A. LLC" and sold riders bells, decals, cliosone emblems for the fairings, decals, neon lighting, reflective patches, jacket pins, tattoo "flash" art, CELL PHONE COVERS, helmet decals, dremel tool templates so you could carve the designs into the bottom of your boots, another template for use with the metallic silver sharpie markers that when combined with the bike on the centerstand so you could decorate your tires (of course this wouldn't last long, but you could do it just at the end of a ride for when everyone is hanging out), nipple rings for guys like my friend Griff, maybe even birth control devices...

lol

cast yer' votes, I'll do the best that I can, especially with the refelctive decals that will allow you to "rub off" just the LT part or the whole thing if you choose, and I am certain I will end up ordering both stickers and pins...just hope that I don't end up with too many unsold...I can see Christmas now, my nephew and Mom and sister and all my in-laws getting small boxes from me marked "Merry Christmas" with a rub-off decal reading "if you can read this, stop laughing and help me pick up my LT" and a custom pin" looking at me then whispering to each other "see...I TOLD you he's not right....."

Cheers

P

post #20 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
dang, if I had really thought this through, I could have made a whole line of products, created "D.A. LLC" and sold riders bells, decals, cliosone emblems for the fairings, decals, neon lighting, reflective patches, jacket pins, tattoo "flash" art, CELL PHONE COVERS, helmet decals, dremel tool templates so you could carve the designs into the bottom of your boots, another template for use with the metallic silver sharpie markers that when combined with the bike on the centerstand so you could decorate your tires (of course this wouldn't last long, but you could do it just at the end of a ride for when everyone is hanging out), nipple rings for guys like my friend Griff, maybe even birth control devices...
P
Just the pin...well what color is the neon lighting?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'll need three

Let me know when to place the order. I'll need three, one for each time. Yep, Dropped her again on Monday, pulling into the parking spot at work. Hit the Auto Park function lever (AKA front brake lever) doing about two mph as I rounded out the turn to pull ahead into the spot when the front wheel stopped turning instantly. No wheel turn, no gyroscopic torque, and she was going to lay down. Of course I tried to stop her by planting the right foot and foolishly attempting to stop the inevitable (sort of like trying to fend off the ice berg before it hit the Titanic) and did arrest the downward momentum - up until the time that my ham string tore. Then common sense said (or rather screamed through the pain) let her lay down. Managed to get her back up by myself despite the torn hammy. The ride to the doctor's office and then to home was interesting with the right leg not wanting to stretch out at all. Lessons learned, don't touch the Auto Park function lever below five or so mph or when in the parking lot, and don't try to convince the lady that she doesn't want to lay down unless you weigh at least as much as she does. At least no one saw me do the deed and folks at work seem to be accepting the story that I hurt myself while bull riding. So, like I said, I'll need three of each. Let me know where/when to send the money.

Chuck
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Update!!!

OK, I paid for the stickers today, design starts tomorrow, with the first draft likely to be posted on here tomorrow night. Here's the cool part, the sticker will be two part...ALL will be on reflective silver (with glass in the vinyl)

Half will be a die cut LT, printed in two-tone to look like a black over silver LT with a very subtle "D.A." on it, that you can pop out and mount separately on the fairing, or anywhere you want. The other half, cut separately, will be the reflective silver background with the "If you can read this, stop laughing and help me lift my LT. Droppers Anonymous" quote, that you can mount underneath...I'm putting mine under the saddlebag, but the options are limitless.

I ordered 50, will let everyone know what the price breakdown is--but the sticker (the bike part will be about 4 inches wide by about 3 inches tall...) is gonna be less than the $5 I anticipated because the guy cut me a break for "first time order" and a law enforcement discount because he saw the FOP sticker on my car.

Draft to follow tomorrow most likely

Pin details to follow.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in