Could they turbo the LT's Engine? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Could they turbo the LT's Engine?

I was just looking at the new 3 series. They have bolted on a turbo and are getting over 300 HP. The tester says there is no turbo lag at all. I wonder if BMW has ever thought of adding a turbo to the LT? To my way of thinking, the biggest negative of turbocharging in the past, was the lag. I remember counting to three when I used to boot my old Saab 9-5 before the boost would kick in. Now that technology has pretty much eliminated the problem, you would think that this could be an inexpensive fix for the LT. More horsepower without the huge costs of retooling a new engine. A turbo plus a few minor upgrades might be all this bike needs to push its date for a major retrofit out another 3 or 4 more years. I know it would get my attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I think it's better to simplify the machine rather than complicate it more.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I was just looking at the new 3 series. They have bolted on a turbo and are getting over 300 HP. The tester says there is no turbo lag at all. I wonder if BMW has ever thought of adding a turbo to the LT? To my way of thinking, the biggest negative of turbocharging in the past, was the lag. I remember counting to three when I used to boot my old Saab 9-5 before the boost would kick in. Now that technology has pretty much eliminated the problem, you would think that this could be an inexpensive fix for the LT. More horsepower without the huge costs of retooling a new engine. A turbo plus a few minor upgrades might be all this bike needs to push its date for a major retrofit out another 3 or 4 more years. I know it would get my attention.
It has been done, at least once. This website has been around for years, but in spite of the great sounding sales pitch, and all the pictures, I am not aware of anyone ever taking them up on one. I am sure if anyone had purchased one of the kits, we would have heard about it.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm#k1200

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Hi, Ron. You might take a look at this site from our own Accessories Section listing: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm#k1200. These folks took a look at turbo charging the LT back in 2003 and haven't updated the web site since by what I see. They agree with most folks here, myself included, that the weak link on the LT drive train is the clutch. It's real easy to majorly slip the clutch without go quicker mods. Some folks made mention sometime ago about roasting the clutch trying to pull hole-shots on the LT and one guy (LTCAMPER?) even went so far as to put a two pressure plate spring setup in his LT. Didn't work as it ate the friction disk and the clutch hydraulic slave cylinder failed pushing the extra heavy clutch springs.

Could you turbo the LT? Yeah, according to the website, RBRACING-RSR did it and the pictures look plenty sexy. Bet it costs like chemotherapy and you can't get in the boost untill the clutch has hooked-up and even then, if the turbo is blowing hard you could get the clutch disc to start slipping.

Huffin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
It has been done, at least once. This website has been around for years, but in spite of the great sounding sales pitch, and all the pictures, I am not aware of anyone ever taking them up on one. I am sure if anyone had purchased one of the kits, we would have heard about it.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm#k1200
This actually reminds me of this story:
Jet Assisted Take-Off
1995 Darwin Awards Winner
Confirmed Bogus by Darwin

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.
Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading

"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SHIT."

So... anyone still wants a turbo on their LT???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

When I ask about turbo charging the Lt's engine, I wasn't thinking about some cheesy home built after market job, but a full blown factory effort by the company. You have to think that with the cost of retooling the LT's engine, that a factory turbo might be just what this bike needs to keep it fresh and current for another couple of years before they replace it with a new model. If BMW can adapt a turbo to the three series car, why wouldn't it work on this bike?
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 8:26 pm
Super Moderator

Cool Jato - NOT

http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/jato.asp

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
. . . to push its date for a major retrofit out another 3 or 4 more years.
Oh, let's not go there. 2008 is far enough away already.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:17 am

Quote:
You need to use a little "systems thinking" here. If you simply increase the horsepower of the engine, what effect will that have on the other components of the "system" (motorcycle)?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:35 am

Quote:
...I wasn't thinking about some cheesy home built after market job, but a full blown factory effort by the company...
I think the motorcycle industry in general still remembers the factory turbos from the eighties and how unreliable they were... Of course, maybe now we have the technology to rebuild it, better than it was before. Better ... stronger ... faster.

I remember reading somewhere that Peugeot has come out with a full-production supercharged scooter. They claim the advantages are two-fold: more power, and better gas economy. So maybe that's another option that we may see more of in the future?

(EDIT) Found a link to Peugeot's scooter:
http://www.nxgn-ltd.com/ezweblite/PU...D=3448&BIKE=45

Cheers,
Lucky

ATGATT
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJC Seca

Last edited by luckyll; Oct 27th, 2006 at 9:42 am.
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:53 am

Bugs

I would like for those german engineers to fix what we already have before they create more $hit! I would not buy it; in fact I will not buy another BMW until they get their heads out of their a$$ and at least try to fix some of this stuff. I'm tired of fixing their fudge ups. Besides there is no need to retool, they have the GT engine.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Cool Could they turbo

I've got the old (98 hp) LT and I wouldn't give a nickel for more power. IMHO, of course.
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Hmmm, let's see.

Once they figure out:

1) The inadequate load rating of the tires

2) The front end wobble (thought his was fixed with the 05's... )

3) The HORRIBLE seats - although common to all motorcycles

4) The miserable shocks

5) The really stupid clutch issue that requires a little "drilling" to keep it from gettting trashed

6) The rear drive bearing failures

7) The windshield issues

8) The really bad low speed handling

....maybe then I would be happy to see a boosted LT with an extra 30 horsepower. I think the brick is an AWESOME engine, but it could never survive boost without a MAJOR rework from the bottom up.

Am I selling mine since I can't stand all of it's faults? Hell no. It has taken me 6 years to get it to where I actually like it!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in