Ran out of gas.......twice in one day!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Ran out of gas.......twice in one day!!

You know how the gas gauge gets down to 15 miles on the RID, and then goes blank........ and you pull into a station to get a "fill'em up" only to find that it'll only take 5.2 or 5.5 gallons?? Sheesh.....the tank is suppose to hold 6.5G, right?

Well this past Saturday I rode out to see SeaMarshall. The previous day I had noticed that the RID was doing mileage countdown thing (and the the little gaspump icon coming on at 65-75 miles) Not long after getting on the freeway (I-90E) that morning I noticed that the "miles to empty" figure was showing 18 miles...then 17....then 16....then 15...before show the ----- marks. So, I said to myself "SELF......all previous indications would tell us that with 15 miles showing, and the fact that we've ALWAYS been able to cram only 5+ gallons into the tank....we should be able to get out to his place, and then back to the Chevron station before needing anymore GOJUICE"

So, I kept going.....got to Tim's little abode out in the trees....chatted it up a bit. then hit the road back home. Exactly 27 miles after the ----- showed up, and while driving uphill.....she (Geezer Glider) came to a halt along side the road. But I wasn't worried because I had one of those REI gas bottle thingies in the right bag!! After being VERY, VERY careful (didn't spill a drop) I fired her back up, and headed to my usual Chevron pick-me-up station. As I'm driving on down the road, I'm thinking "hmmmmmm....that little bottle holds how much??? Maybe a Qt or a Liter??.....so at my usual 45 mpg I should get somewheres about 14 miles before I'll be in trouble again..." So I drove on....using all my carefully learned techniques for getting the most miles out of the least amount of gas (you know....coasting down the hills with the clutch pulled in.....getting up to speed quickly and coasting some more...that kind of thing). Well, when I hit 15 miles.....it started the "death throes" thing again, this time just before the top of a small hill...so I coasted to the top and as we got over the "hump" it started running smoothly again. Only one more small hill between me and the pumps.....c'mon baby....c'mon!!
Gave her some more gas and accelerated to way over the speed limit, before pulling in the clutch.........the lights green!! Go baby go!! Still green!! Oh noooooo....it's red!! No traffic to the left....got into the bicycle lane on the right, 4 cars stopped.....nobody has their right signal on.....no traffic coming from the right.....make the corner.....shoot across the street to the Shell station and up their driveway (5-6' elevation to the pumps) bike feels like it's still running good, and I let go of the clutch and twist the throttle a tad.......and now it's running on 2...maybe 3 cylinders....................but I get just enough speed to coast to the pumps.......the bike dies with some coughing noises (sounds like it really needs a tune-up kinda noises, spittin' and sputtering, ya know). Exactly 15.4 miles out of that little REI bottle....maybe I should carry 2 of these things!! I fill it first, because I really want to know how much it'll hold.....when the foam starts coming out the top I shut it off, and see.... point two six six (.266 Gallon). Filling the tank on the bike gets me 6.606 gallons (not counting the bottle).
Lesson learned!!
Now you guys don't have to wonder anymore, huh?

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:57 am

Thanks for the post! I have always wondered how much further I had when the little ---- showed up, just not brave enough to run her all the way out.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, I've put in 6.5 gallons a couple of times, and 6.6 once. I get about 25 miles once the --- hits. But mine counts down to 10 miles remaining, then goes --- at 9. Is yours reading in Km?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:08 am

I haven't ever put in 6 gallons. At least now I know it will hold more than that. You were pretty lucky-my luck doesn't usually run that way!
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:24 am

You remind me of the judge in the movie who flew his helicopter out over the ocean until his gas meter read just a little less than half then turned back. Going a little further each day! Good info though as far as how far it will really go on "empty". I've been lucky enough to always have a gas station close enough to never have to find out.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Meese

Nope....miles.

363K on BMW's
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:51 am

Repost for awareness, not trying to jack the thread...

You stand a better chance of getting the gas you pay for at a "single dispersal hose, multiple choice pump" when you have to put more fuel.

In Texas, on a single hose pump that gives you "choices" of fuel, the "Weights and Measures" employees pump 5 GALLONS that is "disposed of" prior to taking the "sample" that "verifies" you get the product you pay for.... ??? Another example of our Govamint at work?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
You know how the gas gauge gets down to 15 miles on the RID, and then goes blank........ and you pull into a station to get a "fill'em up" only to find that it'll only take 5.2 or 5.5 gallons?? Sheesh.....the tank is suppose to hold 6.5G, right?

Well this past Saturday I rode out to see SeaMarshall. The previous day I had noticed that the RID was doing mileage countdown thing (and the the little gaspump icon coming on at 65-75 miles) Not long after getting on the freeway (I-90E) that morning I noticed that the "miles to empty" figure was showing 18 miles...then 17....then 16....then 15...before show the ----- marks. So, I said to myself "SELF......all previous indications would tell us that with 15 miles showing, and the fact that we've ALWAYS been able to cram only 5+ gallons into the tank....we should be able to get out to his place, and then back to the Chevron station before needing anymore GOJUICE"

So, I kept going.....got to Tim's little abode out in the trees....chatted it up a bit. then hit the road back home. Exactly 27 miles after the ----- showed up, and while driving uphill.....she (Geezer Glider) came to a halt along side the road. But I wasn't worried because I had one of those REI gas bottle thingies in the right bag!! After being VERY, VERY careful (didn't spill a drop) I fired her back up, and headed to my usual Chevron pick-me-up station. As I'm driving on down the road, I'm thinking "hmmmmmm....that little bottle holds how much??? Maybe a Qt or a Liter??.....so at my usual 45 mpg I should get somewheres about 14 miles before I'll be in trouble again..." So I drove on....using all my carefully learned techniques for getting the most miles out of the least amount of gas (you know....coasting down the hills with the clutch pulled in.....getting up to speed quickly and coasting some more...that kind of thing). Well, when I hit 15 miles.....it started the "death throes" thing again, this time just before the top of a small hill...so I coasted to the top and as we got over the "hump" it started running smoothly again. Only one more small hill between me and the pumps.....c'mon baby....c'mon!!
Gave her some more gas and accelerated to way over the speed limit, before pulling in the clutch.........the lights green!! Go baby go!! Still green!! Oh noooooo....it's red!! No traffic to the left....got into the bicycle lane on the right, 4 cars stopped.....nobody has their right signal on.....no traffic coming from the right.....make the corner.....shoot across the street to the Shell station and up their driveway (5-6' elevation to the pumps) bike feels like it's still running good, and I let go of the clutch and twist the throttle a tad.......and now it's running on 2...maybe 3 cylinders....................but I get just enough speed to coast to the pumps.......the bike dies with some coughing noises (sounds like it really needs a tune-up kinda noises, spittin' and sputtering, ya know). Exactly 15.4 miles out of that little REI bottle....maybe I should carry 2 of these things!! I fill it first, because I really want to know how much it'll hold.....when the foam starts coming out the top I shut it off, and see.... point two six six (.266 Gallon). Filling the tank on the bike gets me 6.606 gallons (not counting the bottle).
Lesson learned!!
Now you guys don't have to wonder anymore, huh?
Your story has a similar ring of the Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the car salesman!

BTW, center-stand or side-stand fill up?

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #9 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Centerstand........always! Tried the sidestand method a few times, but felt really awkward trying to lean over far enough to see when it was full.

363K on BMW's
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:32 am

It is awkward on the sidestand, but you can't fill up all the way on the centerstand. I think you miss about .5 gallons.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
You stand a better chance of getting the gas you pay for at a "single dispersal hose, multiple choice pump" when you have to put more fuel.
Of course if you un the cheap stuff, then you have the chance of getting better fuel than you paid for.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Yup... that's true, Ken.... you guys are quick!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:00 pm

The original post of this thread reminds me of why I start looking for gas at 200 miles - with over 300 miles in the tank (@ 52 mi/gal). Waiting for "---" to show makes as much sense as riding around Manhattan for 24 hours.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
It also depends where you're riding at. When I'm running around the city with gas on every corner, I'll push it farther. When I'm out on the open roads, I'll plan a bit better. I just gotta remember to watch out for strong headwinds, natural or otherwise.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #15 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Ditto what Ken said... Makes a big difference where you are riding. In my neck of the woods it is not uncommon to go 50 or more miles between gas pumps. You don't wait for the tank to get empty before filling unless you are really fond of walking.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Bike can go farther

I like to stop about every 200 miles to stretch my legs and get rid of all that fluid I drink to stay hydrated. Break does me good. Hate to have to push it to the next pump.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 8:48 am

Question about your REI Bottle

Is the bottle you are referring to the 33 ounce MSR camp stove fuel bottle?

I have never seen one of these bottles. Is it sealed? Vented? Does it make a mess when you open it warm?

Has it ever leaked into your case?

Thanks in advance....
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 9:06 am

Lately I've noticed I'm getting about 37mpg (from the BC), where I used to get around 44. Almost all of my driving is mixed with a bias towards traffic. Welcome to the East Coast.
I spoke to the service tech at Canton and he told me to run Injector cleaner and that should clean it and get my mileage back. He also told me we are supposed to be running 91 or better octane.
Something tells me I have something wrong that hasn't shown up yet (blown slave, rear bearing, faulty caliper etc.) but I've got about 2500 miles with this phenomena going on.
I mention this because 1) I've never gotten close to 6.5 gallons into the tank and that would really help on a long ride. 2) I am only able to get around 230 miles before the fuel light comes on. 3) There's also the wild card of our gasoline in the NE being mixed with additives to reduce acid rain, which also reduce our mileage.
Any thoughts?

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Quick note - I don't trust the BC, altho lotsa folks do. Were I you, I'd verify the mileage the old fashion way and see how close the BC is to the real world. Then you have hard numbers to work with in chasing down the possibilities for low mpg. Good luck.

And an ocassional shot of injector cleaner surely should meet approval with most folks - or use the Chevron Tech-stuff additive they put in their gasoline formula.
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

GeneralMilliron

Have not experienced ANY problems with the bottle. Yes it is the REI bottle you describe......ALL aluminum with a hard plastic threaded screw-in type stopper. I carry it wrapped in a towel (with rubber bands). Has NEVER leaked (knock on wood) and doesn't cause a mess when opened. It's NOT vented, and I wouldn't carry it if it was. Filled it back in March or so, and this was the first time I'd used it.

Not sure what some folks perception of this story is, (sometimes I wonder if people really read everything before making comments)......but I did let it run out on purpose......just so I could see how much it'd take after using the REI bottle. I did NOT run the tank dry in any non-stop riding effort..........I drove it for 4 or 5 days after the normal fill-up. Maybe I left out that part hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm??

363K on BMW's
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Quick note - I don't trust the BC, altho lotsa folks do. Were I you, I'd verify the mileage the old fashion way and see how close the BC is to the real world. Then you have hard numbers to work with in chasing down the possibilities for low mpg. Good luck.

And an ocassional shot of injector cleaner surely should meet approval with most folks - or use the Chevron Tech-stuff additive they put in their gasoline formula.
If you go to www.toptiergas.com you can find the top tier gasolines which have upgraded to car manufacturers recommendations for cleaners in gasoline. Generally, the top tier gasolines have about 5 times the cleaners that the government requires to be mixed into gasoline. Using these top tier gasolines should negate the need to periodically add injector cleaner to your fuel tank. Since the top tier gasolines don't cost anymore than the others I always try to use top tier gasoline in all of my vehicles.

David
IBA #31697
'02 K1200RS Black "Bling-Bling"
'04 Saab 9-3 Aero SS
'06 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 7:06 am

Wink

I had a similar experience on my LT (buth mine was not on purpose). I was on a trip this summer and took a little shortcut coming back from Rapid City SD. I forget the highway, but it you take it, you'll cut off about 30 miles from the I-90 route heading West. This highway ends up catching I-90 again at the Little Bighorn Battle field. Well to make a long story short, I ran out of gas on the LT because the town I had picked to gas up was actually an indian reservation with not stores, no gas, yep I was sweating bullets. As luck would have it, I ran out of gas just when I topped the hill at the Little Big Horn Battle field, she died instantly and I coasted about a mile down the hill to the station near I-90. I was surptrised to find she only held 6.00something gallons.

Good to know that last '.3' gallons in the LT's tank is un-usable. I learned a lesson that day too.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in