2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By JaL3_SD
  • 2 Post By hallzee
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 7:47 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS What do you all think? I'm just looking at some options while waiting on my trans. to show up.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 8:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS What do you all think? I'm just looking at some options while waiting on my trans. to show up.

Robert
Last time I checked, the big Kaw had no cruise control. That has been the deal breaker for me. I would go FJR1300 if I only rode solo. Yamaha added cruise a couple or three years ago.
ibbones and james216 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #3 of 40 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 8:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
powwow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bend, OR, United States
Posts: 1,433
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

My son-in-law has a 2016 Kawi Concourse and Voyager is right...they do not have cruise control available. That has always eliminated the Concourse from my consideration.

I've not ridden it, but I know from my son-in-law they handle and ride beautifully with a killer motor (this is his second one). I would call the seating architecture more on the "sport" side of "sport touring".

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
powwow is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
JNW003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northridge, California, USA
Posts: 1,392
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Well.... I wouldn't consider a Concourse to replace the LT. I bought a GTLE and couldn't be happier! Rode my LT a couple of days ago around the corner, and it seemed lethargic in comparison. Rode my GTLE to Neptunes Net (on the PCH earlier today via Mulholland Highway with another GTL rider and was thinking how much easier it was to throw it around. I do miss the EHCS, weather protection, reverse gear and my RDLs though...
mwnahas likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JNW003 is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 1:41 am
Senior Member
 
Moogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hamilton, Oh., Butler
Posts: 187
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

A 2010 or better D/T heat issue will be my next bike. Most just add the Rosta cruise control or the throttle lock. Upgrade the windshield, tires, seat, bar risers for comfort. Add trunk, highway pegs, lighting. Great engine, a few maintenance videos on U-tube but one forum member has them for purchase. Will not push start if dead battery. Very few problems and lots of help on their site. One U-tube video for tear down to get to the valves. COG members offer overnite camping and you don't have to own a concours to join. Free access to the forum. Been a member for some time now to learn about the bike. Ride one, you'll love it. I won't be selling the LT though.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda









The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
Moogie is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 1:44 am
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,442
Garage
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

The first time I rode my LT after getting the GTL, it felt comfortable and familiar, but with a massive lead weight strapped somewhere down between my feet. I once heard the LT described as an old girlfriend that put on a few pounds, but still knows how to dance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
I do miss the EHCS, weather protection, reverse gear and my RDLs though...
Never needed an EHCS (the K16 center stand is easier to deploy, and I use it every time I fuel up). AeroFlow will sort out the weather protection quite nicely. Never needed reverse (just watch where you park). RDL will fix you right up, and even match the GTLE colors.

I still remember the LT fondly, but would never trade back...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
post #7 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 4:59 am
Senior Member
 
azccj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ, US
Posts: 181
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Might I suggest you look at a Triumph Trophy SE, 2013-2016. They have all the bells and whistles of a BMW but can be had at a great bargain for all you get. Radio, Bluetooth, cruise control, tire pressure monitoring system, power windshield, all standard and built into the bike. A great touring bike, I love mine.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
azccj is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 6:25 am
Senior Member
 
MikeERideWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murphy, NC, USA
Posts: 793
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

I traded my my last LT for a Concours 14ABS.
I knew the minute I hit the parking lot that I hated the bike and made a mistake.
The seating position sucks. There is only one. No j-peg. If you like to ride all day, you will be sore. I found myself aching after about four
hours in the saddle. I am not nearly as old as you guys on this forum.
I put the Sargent low seat on hoping it would help... Nope. If you ride with a passenger and want to install a Givi trunk, it extremely limits their seating comfort.
If your passenger enjoys riding on the LT, they will be disappointed on the C14.
The bike has plenty of motor, however the lean angle is not what you would expect out of a sport-tourer. I was constantly dragging everything in the twisties.
The bike is very hot in traffic.
Working on it wasn't too bad. I made a video of a five minute oil change. The rear wheel comes off faster than the LT.
The thing could wheelie easily in three gears with a passenger. Cruise is an easy install on it. There is room under the plastic.

I like the FJR and they are a pleasure to work on... But like the LT the manual shift version only has five gears.
I have always been a fan of the Honda ST, that is the route I would go.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
MikeERideWNC is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 7:33 am
Senior Member
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Loveland, CO, United States
Posts: 529
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

I was riding with a State Trooper who just got back from a week at school on a RTPw. We was calling his Concours a pig in comparison.
He could not wait to get his new RTP issued. The problem with the Concours is that it has not had a good update in a few years, yes I know about some of the cosmetic upgrades. Kawasaki has been putting their R&D into sport bikes and dirt bikes. The Versis seems to be a nice bike but you are limited on adjustability. While I am lucky to have a GTLe and it is a great bike I find that I take my work bike everywhere a GTPw.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
iride4u is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 11:00 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Well.... I wouldn't consider a Concourse to replace the LT. I bought a GTLE and couldn't be happier! Rode my LT a couple of days ago around the corner, and it seemed lethargic in comparison. Rode my GTLE to Neptunes Net (on the PCH earlier today via Mulholland Highway with another GTL rider and was thinking how much easier it was to throw it around. I do miss the EHCS, weather protection, reverse gear and my RDLs though...
I would not consider a Concourse either.

I probably wouldn't consider a Concours 14 even if it had cruise control. Too sport oriented.

I am not a huge fan of the GTLE either having rented both a 2013 and 2015 for a couple weeks each. Too lacking in weather protection and passenger comfort.

I have decided that there is no current replacement for the LT.
james216 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #11 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 11:16 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
A 2010 or better D/T heat issue will be my next bike. Most just add the Rosta cruise control or the throttle lock. Upgrade the windshield, tires, seat, bar risers for comfort. Add trunk, highway pegs, lighting. Great engine, a few maintenance videos on U-tube but one forum member has them for purchase. Will not push start if dead battery. Very few problems and lots of help on their site. One U-tube video for tear down to get to the valves. COG members offer overnite camping and you don't have to own a concours to join. Free access to the forum. Been a member for some time now to learn about the bike. Ride one, you'll love it. I won't be selling the LT though.
Looks like autocorrect got you. I can't figure out what model "D/T heat issue" was meant to be.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #12 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
Might I suggest you look at a Triumph Trophy SE, 2013-2016. They have all the bells and whistles of a BMW but can be had at a great bargain for all you get. Radio, Bluetooth, cruise control, tire pressure monitoring system, power windshield, all standard and built into the bike. A great touring bike, I love mine.
I looked at the SE a year ago when I was debating whether to repair my clutch or simply replace my LT. Three obstacles for me with the Triumph were:

1. Dealer does not offer test rides
2. Dealer is 90 miles away which is only a little better than the 120 to nearest BMW dealer.
3. As I read more about the SE it appeared to be the only bike more troublesome than the LT!

I would really love another Kawasaki. Dealer is 25 miles away and the three I had were trouble free, low maintenance and well engineered. Unfortunately, after two nice, and technology leading, touring bikes, the Voyager 1300 and Voyager XII, the Harley wannabe Vulcan Voyager 1700 just didn't appeal to me.

Though I have never wanted to own another Honda product, the rumors about the new Wing are pretty intriguing. The Wing has always had all-day comfort and pays good attention to the passenger. It lacked suspension, braking and modern electronic technologies. Rumors are that the next Wing will address all these issues and MAY even incorporate mild hybrid technology in the power train. If Honda does all that, I may have to give them a chance to redeem themselves for the miserable 1984 Accord I owned. My only concern based on other recent models is that they may offer only an automatic transmission. That would be a deal breaker.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #13 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 1:59 pm
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,388
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Kawi Concourse is a great machine. Be careful.. It's got quite a bit more power than the LT. It will get you speeding tickets.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
james216 is offline  
post #14 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 2:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
I traded my my last LT for a Concours 14ABS.
I knew the minute I hit the parking lot that I hated the bike and made a mistake.
The seating position sucks. There is only one. No j-peg. If you like to ride all day, you will be sore. I found myself aching after about four
hours in the saddle. I am not nearly as old as you guys on this forum.
I put the Sargent low seat on hoping it would help... Nope. If you ride with a passenger and want to install a Givi trunk, it extremely limits their seating comfort.
If your passenger enjoys riding on the LT, they will be disappointed on the C14.
The bike has plenty of motor, however the lean angle is not what you would expect out of a sport-tourer. I was constantly dragging everything in the twisties.
The bike is very hot in traffic.
Working on it wasn't too bad. I made a video of a five minute oil change. The rear wheel comes off faster than the LT.
The thing could wheelie easily in three gears with a passenger. Cruise is an easy install on it. There is room under the plastic.

I like the FJR and they are a pleasure to work on... But like the LT the manual shift version only has five gears.
I have always been a fan of the Honda ST, that is the route I would go.
The 2016 FJR has six speeds among other upgrades and no need to add on aftermarket cruise as with C14 or ST.
LAF likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #15 of 40 Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 2:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
I traded my my last LT for a Concours 14ABS.
I knew the minute I hit the parking lot that I hated the bike and made a mistake.
The seating position sucks. There is only one. No j-peg. If you like to ride all day, you will be sore. I found myself aching after about four
hours in the saddle. I am not nearly as old as you guys on this forum.
I put the Sargent low seat on hoping it would help... Nope. If you ride with a passenger and want to install a Givi trunk, it extremely limits their seating comfort.
If your passenger enjoys riding on the LT, they will be disappointed on the C14.
The bike has plenty of motor, however the lean angle is not what you would expect out of a sport-tourer. I was constantly dragging everything in the twisties.
The bike is very hot in traffic.
Working on it wasn't too bad. I made a video of a five minute oil change. The rear wheel comes off faster than the LT.
The thing could wheelie easily in three gears with a passenger. Cruise is an easy install on it. There is room under the plastic.

I like the FJR and they are a pleasure to work on... But like the LT the manual shift version only has five gears.
I have always been a fan of the Honda ST, that is the route I would go.
What did you trade the C14 on? GTL?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2016, 6:43 am
Senior Member
 
MikeERideWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murphy, NC, USA
Posts: 793
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

I sold it to a local guy here who wanted it. Practically gave it away.
There is NO resale value in a Concours. Look at the used ones for sale. No one is buying them around here. Just not a good bike for cornering.
I was lucky that when I purchased mine there was a Go Green promotion which knocked 2500.00 of the price.
At the time it made me at almost an even trade, and my last LT was rough. The lowers and foot pegs were gone.
The dealer asked me to install my spare kickstand because the little arm to put it down was gone.
They sold my LT the next day. It was a much better LT than my current one.

The Concours is for old farts who still think that have something to prove.
If you're a rider, the Concours just can't do what a VFR can do. Maybe that is why I have at least two VFR's for the last ten years parked in the garage?

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
MikeERideWNC is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2016, 7:14 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
I sold it to a local guy here who wanted it. Practically gave it away.
There is NO resale value in a Concours. Look at the used ones for sale. No one is buying them around here. Just not a good bike for cornering.
I was lucky that when I purchased mine there was a Go Green promotion which knocked 2500.00 of the price.
At the time it made me at almost an even trade, and my last LT was rough. The lowers and foot pegs were gone.
The dealer asked me to install my spare kickstand because the little arm to put it down was gone.
They sold my LT the next day. It was a much better LT than my current one.

The Concours is for old farts who still think that have something to prove.
If you're a rider, the Concours just can't do what a VFR can do. Maybe that is why I have at least two VFR's for the last ten years parked in the garage?
Isn't that apples to oranges?

I would consider the ST1300 as the comparison to the C14. The VFR is better compared to the ZX family.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #18 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2016, 1:32 pm
Senior Member
 
Moogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hamilton, Oh., Butler
Posts: 187
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

The 2010 models and above had the heat issue fixed. Great can of worms. Probably cheaper to fix the Lt. and go shopping. Ride all of them and used Lt's are cheap if you change your mind. It's a subjective issue. I like the BMW GT 1300 and would think it to be king of the sport touring bikes. Great post.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda









The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
Moogie is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2016, 7:13 pm
Senior Member
 
MikeERideWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Murphy, NC, USA
Posts: 793
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Isn't that apples to oranges?

I would consider the ST1300 as the comparison to the C14. The VFR is better compared to the ZX family.
I will just assume you have never ridden any VFR or a ZX family member...
When I say VFR I mean a forth or fifth gen VFR, not the hideous sixth and seventh gen. Though the C14 and VFR1200 are competitors.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
MikeERideWNC is offline  
post #20 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
I will just assume you have never ridden any VFR or a ZX family member...
When I say VFR I mean a forth or fifth gen VFR, not the hideous sixth and seventh gen. Though the C14 and VFR1200 are competitors.
A bike that comes standard with side bags and one that comes standard without them clearly have different design intents.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #21 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 9:51 am
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 63
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Robert,

Did you determine what caused your transmission to eat itself?

Instead of shopping for a temporary replacement, perhaps if you ask very nicely and take her out to dinner, Mrs. Scouter50 will let you ride her bike-
eelmgren is offline  
post #22 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
Robert,

Did you determine what caused your transmission to eat itself?

Instead of shopping for a temporary replacement, perhaps if you ask very nicely and take her out to dinner, Mrs. Scouter50 will let you ride her bike-
No, Erik, I have not torn it down yet. My replacement transmission should be here tomorrow. BTW her bike is a little small for me even though her legs are longer than mine.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #23 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 10:47 am
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 63
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Just joking-

BTW - I had one colleague who had owned several older Concourses. He liked them until he got too old and the bike got too heavy, but he lusted for a newer FJR. Had another colleague who had a FJR. He liked the bike and is about you're size, I've got no first hand knowledge of either
eelmgren is offline  
post #24 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2016, 2:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
Just joking-

BTW - I had one colleague who had owned several older Concourses. He liked them until he got too old and the bike got too heavy, but he lusted for a newer FJR. Had another colleague who had a FJR. He liked the bike and is about you're size, I've got no first hand knowledge of either
I test rode an FJR a few years ago when they first added cruise control. The powertrain was fantastic. Much better than any BMW I have ridden. Suspension and handling were fine. Seat comfort was so-so. Wind protection was minimal. Passenger accommodations almost nonexistent.

If I was buying a solo bike, I would probably buy an FJR and replace the seat and windshield and set back the bars.

However, it just isn't in the same league as the LT for two-up touring.
Voyager is offline  
post #25 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2016, 10:03 pm
Senior Member
 
johnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Under a Rock, , USA
Posts: 633
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

After I sold the LT (after 100k miles) I hadn't planned on getting any more bikes... I have quite a few...

But I got a deal on a leftover 0 mile 2015 C-14.

I think it's a great bike. I wouldn't think of doing a comparison to the 14 and the LT... 2 different animals.

so far I'm loving the 14. handles good, plenty of power ... seat is fine.
I added a small pelican case and all is good. added some aux. lighting and bagster tank cover radar detector.. etc.
I don't really miss the cruise... I added a throttlemeister but rarely use it.

last trip before the snow hit was CT. to Mt. Washington and back in a day. performed great.
It's a great bike. as far as the FJR, my buddy has one... great bike also.

But it's not green.

good luck and ride safe whatever you decide.




True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
johnT is offline  
post #26 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2016, 10:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
JNW003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northridge, California, USA
Posts: 1,392
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Here's a link to a BMW site from a post on the K1600 forum, comparing the '17 K1600GT to several competitor bikes, including the FJR, Triumph, Concours, and HD:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqHK0bhklrc0o1DiI7z2CJdM3rgp


Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JNW003 is offline  
post #27 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 4:08 am
Member
 
58caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 48
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
After I sold the LT (after 100k miles) I hadn't planned on getting any more bikes... I have quite a few...

But I got a deal on a leftover 0 mile 2015 C-14.

I think it's a great bike. I wouldn't think of doing a comparison to the 14 and the LT... 2 different animals.

so far I'm loving the 14. handles good, plenty of power ... seat is fine.
I added a small pelican case and all is good. added some aux. lighting and bagster tank cover radar detector.. etc.
I don't really miss the cruise... I added a throttlemeister but rarely use it.

last trip before the snow hit was CT. to Mt. Washington and back in a day. performed great.
It's a great bike. as far as the FJR, my buddy has one... great bike also.

But it's not green.

good luck and ride safe whatever you decide.



I want that ZRX!!!! Been a dream bike for many years. considering trading in the LT for one eventually.
58caddy is offline  
post #28 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 8:33 am
Senior Member
 
johnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Under a Rock, , USA
Posts: 633
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58caddy View Post
I want that ZRX!!!! Been a dream bike for many years. considering trading in the LT for one eventually.
It's a money pit...


It's actually a 2000 ZRX1100
too many mods to list.... engine is pretty much stock.

runs and handles great for a heavy steel framed dinosaur.

( you can find 1100's for pretty cheap) I think they handle better than the 1200's.... had one of those too...

wherever I go folks are gathering round asking questions... even the harldley guys.

I usually tell them it's a 1979 .....




True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
johnT is offline  
post #29 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 9:37 am
Member
 
58caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 48
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Nice!!
58caddy is offline  
post #30 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 1:05 pm
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,388
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

I think Voyager summed it up best. That concourse is an awesome machine though. The dopes at Kawasaki should have put that engine in the new Voyager touring bike. They not only missed the boat. They drove past the pier. Enough with the v twin touring bikes. Do something differant. It would then be closer to the original Voyager with more power. Which was a nice tourer anyway.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Dec 18th, 2016 at 1:12 pm.
james216 is offline  
post #31 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I think Voyager summed it up best. That concourse is an awesome machine though. The dopes at Kawasaki should have put that engine in the new Voyager touring bike. They not only missed the boat. They drove past the pier. Enough with the v twin touring bikes. Do something differant. It would then be closer to the original Voyager with more power. Which was a nice tourer anyway.
Kawasaki and BMW have taken opposite trajectories since 1983. Kawasaki had the most technologically advanced luxury touring bike in the world in the form of the Voyager 1300. Six cylinders, fuel injection, etc. BMW had the K100 and Honda the GL1100. Kawasaki then backed down to the carbureted, four cylinder Voyager XII and now further down to the V-twin cruiser with bags and trunk. BMW went forward to the LT and then laterally to the K1600 GTL. Even Honda progressed forward to the GL1800.

Kawasaki shows no signs of regaining its forward progress in the touring market. BMW seems to be moving more to sport touring and ignoring the luxury touring segment. Honda has been stagnant for a decade, but the rumors of a hybrid Gold Wing with a novel suspension are interesting if there is any substance to them. A high torque electric motor would be the cat's meow for a luxury touring bike. Time will tell..

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #32 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 8:04 pm
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,388
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Don't forget the Suzuki Cavelcade. A real nice tourer and also ahead of it's time. They to have shown no inclination of advancing in touring bikes.
ibbones likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
james216 is offline  
post #33 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 8:28 pm
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,388
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

You have two beautiful sheppards. Always loved those dogs. I have had many dogs. Most were APL rescued. But Never a German Sheppard.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
james216 is offline  
post #34 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 10:29 pm
Senior Member
 
fatbob307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 295
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

I had a 2002 ZRX1200R, she was a brute! Fun to ride, but too sporty for me. I gave her up
fatbob307 is offline  
post #35 of 40 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 5:46 am
Member
 
58caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 48
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Kawasaki and BMW have taken opposite trajectories since 1983. Kawasaki had the most technologically advanced luxury touring bike in the world in the form of the Voyager 1300. Six cylinders, fuel injection, etc. BMW had the K100 and Honda the GL1100. Kawasaki then backed down to the carbureted, four cylinder Voyager XII and now further down to the V-twin cruiser with bags and trunk. BMW went forward to the LT and then laterally to the K1600 GTL. Even Honda progressed forward to the GL1800.

Kawasaki shows no signs of regaining its forward progress in the touring market. BMW seems to be moving more to sport touring and ignoring the luxury touring segment. Honda has been stagnant for a decade, but the rumors of a hybrid Gold Wing with a novel suspension are interesting if there is any substance to them. A high torque electric motor would be the cat's meow for a luxury touring bike. Time will tell..
Honda has a big niche with the Goldwing and they've been making that bike too long to give up on it. BMW is known for their touring bikes and adventure bikes more than any other manufacturer out there. They won't give up that reputation or leadership. Kawasaki's bread and butter are the sport bike and off road markets. They most likely won't concentrate on the touring market strongly as a result.
58caddy is offline  
post #36 of 40 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 2:23 pm
Member
 
JaL3_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 84
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Noice Z-REX johnT! I've got an -03, blue 1200. Had it since 2005 and it's a keeper for sure.
58caddy likes this.

Jay - 2006 BMW K1200LT, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R and 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
JaL3_SD is offline  
post #37 of 40 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 6:25 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Wow! This got resurrected. I still have not got the trans out. The one I was waiting on was killed by UPS. I have the bike half torn down. All that is left is the final drive, swingarm, and drop the engine down to get the trans out. I'm also looking at FJRs. I did have a Voyager six cylinder for a short while, not what I was looking for. Maybe I'll just go back to airheads, I have enough of them around.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #38 of 40 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 8:39 am
Senior Member
 
johnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Under a Rock, , USA
Posts: 633
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Maybe I'll just go back to airheads, I have enough of them around.
Love the airheads...

working on a HD version right now.... (winter madness)
Just got the front end sorted (kawasaki ZX10 conversion)

gonna make a foot clutch /jockey shift for it....



True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
johnT is offline  
post #39 of 40 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 11:00 am
Senior Member
 
MarkF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Meriden, CT, USA
Posts: 229
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
Might I suggest you look at a Triumph Trophy SE, 2013-2016. They have all the bells and whistles of a BMW but can be had at a great bargain for all you get. Radio, Bluetooth, cruise control, tire pressure monitoring system, power windshield, all standard and built into the bike. A great touring bike, I love mine.
I think if the Trophy like a RT. That's not a bad thing.
The 16 FJR has cruise control. I would trade my LT for one.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MarkF is offline  
post #40 of 40 Old Dec 20th, 2016, 11:36 am
Senior Member
 
hallzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gold Country, CA, USA
Posts: 2,571
Re: 2016 CONCOURS®14 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
It's a money pit...


It's actually a 2000 ZRX1100
too many mods to list.... engine is pretty much stock.

runs and handles great for a heavy steel framed dinosaur.

( you can find 1100's for pretty cheap) I think they handle better than the 1200's.... had one of those too...

wherever I go folks are gathering round asking questions... even the harldley guys.

I usually tell them it's a 1979 .....



Forget the bikes.... I'll give you $25 each for the dogs!
ibbones and 58caddy like this.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
hallzee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABS unit gone again plonk K1200LT 9 Jun 17th, 2011 5:06 am
BMW to introduce a "G" series motorcycle? eljeffe Bike Talk 24 Oct 10th, 2006 5:56 pm
New ABS System and Advanced Stability Control Details eljeffe Bike Talk 3 Jul 17th, 2006 1:58 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome