BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Run out of Fuel?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
I'm sure this must have been discussed before on this forum, but my search yielded no threads. I have a 2002 K1200LT. If it runs out of fuel while riding will that cause other problems? Can I just fill the tank again and go, or are there other procedures that need to be done first?

#2 ·
Just fill it up again. I would turn the key on, let the pump prime and then shut it off without starting. Do that a few times before hitting the start button to try and purge any air from the fuel rail but you shouldn't have any trouble.

Reactions: vernvernvern
#3 ·
I haven't run my LT out, but I have cars that have in tank pumps like the LT and they self-prime and fire right up. I would not anticipate that you would have any problems.

#5 ·
As stated by others (BMWCoolK1200 , Voyager, JZeiler), there is no issues other than possible delay (few seconds) in restarting because of fuel-rail (and hose) being full of air.

During my 14 years of ownership (91,000 miles) I did actually push my luck far enough to try it ONCE (ran tank empty at 1 miles from a gaz station).

HOWEVER given the design of these EFI system I would suggest NOT to do many repeat of running empty as fuel-pump is cooled by fuel circulation. Too often and you risk reducing life of fuel-pump.

#6 ·
HOWEVER given the design of these EFI system I would suggest NOT to do many repeat of running empty as fuel-pump is cooled by fuel circulation. Too often and you risk reducing life of fuel-pump.
How much fuel is required in the tank to keep the fuel pump submerged for cooling? It is not uncommon for me to pump 5.5 to 6.0 gallons of fuel to fill the tank.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

#10 ·
It happened to me - at the top of the hill.

Roll down to garage. Fill up. Pay. Start engine. Ride on.

Simples.
I had that happen on my 2010 R1200GSA...rolled down to the gas station, filled it up. I could only get 9.95 gallons in it:wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.