BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Antenna issue (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/156905-antenna-issue.html)

Big Bear Aug 30th, 2016 12:09 am

Antenna issue

Hi there new to the forum and I have a question, just picked up a 2000 k1200 lt and purchase a new cover for it but I am unable to use it right because I can't lay down the antenna like my goldwing does I don't want to start pulling and yanking on it then damage it so does anyone have a suggestion on what to do also I do not want to put a hole in the new cover thanks for your help

Axle Aug 30th, 2016 5:12 am

Re: Antenna issue

I put a hole in the cover myself, but you could pull it over and hold down with an ocky strap, some one mentioned to cut a hole and install a brass eyelet (same as a tarp) and just poke it through the hole this is a great Idea I think.

JNW003 Aug 30th, 2016 5:22 am

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are enjoying your new-to-you bike. They are great touring machines. This forum includes many helpful experts on the care and maintenance of '99 - '09 LTs.

I have an '07 LT and an Aerostich full cover and encountered the same issue on what to do with the antenna when using a bike cover. In order to fit the cover over the antenna, I bought a package of Coghlan's 8 Snap N'Tap Grommets (No. 706) over the internet. After unscrewing and removing the antenna, I put the Aerostich cover on the bike, marking the location where the grommet should go with a felt tip pen. Because the Aerostich cover is very thin and light-weight, I took the cover to a seamstress place and had them sew a reenforcement sheet onto the cover and then they punched the hole and installed the grommet. Using this method, you never need to take the antenna off as the grommet allows you to leave the antenna in place and the blue-colored grommet tells you where the RH rear side of the cover is when installing it. I also never had to worry about the cover tearing after using this method. Hope this helps! :bmw:

Big Bear Aug 30th, 2016 6:40 am

Thank you for your help I will use your suggestions

Fun Bobby Aug 30th, 2016 10:00 am

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome. in my opinion you have found the single best source of information for everything LT related.

As for a LT cover, I use "The Traveller" motorcycle cover and don't have to worry about the antenna. However, it is not a full bike cover, but it may suit your requirement. Photos attached.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

Voyager Aug 30th, 2016 11:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fun Bobby (Post 1620121)
Welcome. in my opinion you have found the single best source of information for everything LT related.

As for a LT cover, I use "The Traveller" motorcycle cover and don't have to worry about the antenna. However, it is not a full bike cover, but it may suit your requirement. Photos attached.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

Same here. The Traveller covers what is really essential and packs small and goes inside the antennas (I have CB also).

Buff8stuff Aug 31st, 2016 2:44 pm

I use a Dowco Guardian, have always just bent my antennas forward. I haven't used it for a while, but I think it has an extra layer of material where the antennas push against it.