Moving top case and rider seat back - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Moving top case and rider seat back

I wonder if anyone has had the top case and passenger backrest moved back in order to allow the passenger more room. Dealer suggested that I let them do it and that's fine with me. Does anyone know how much additional room this will provide? Also, I suppose it would make the top case hang over the back of the bike a bit. How does this look? Thanks.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 1:23 pm

When I have my topcase on, it's always in the rearmost position. I would guess it gives the passenger an extra 1 – 1 ½ inches. My wife said it is a big improvement.

Moving it back is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes. You have to take the rear seat off to unplug the connectors to the topcase. Then remove the topcase liner to access the mounting bolts. When they are removed, move the topcase away temporarily. Move the 4 bolts on the black plastic to the now empty topcase holes and then put the case back reversing the procedure. The only tricky bit is unhooking the latches that hold the liner in. It’s a piece of cake.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Very easy and only takes a few minutes.
- Open the trunk lid, remove the thumb screw on the left side where the retaining belt is. Then remove the retaining belt by sliding it to the left side and gently let it retract.
- Next remove the trunk liner. Underneath you will find 4 screws. Remove these 4 screws and move the trunk back a bit until you line up with the second set of screw holes. Insert and tighten your 4 screws.
- Re-install the trunk liner, re-attach the retaining belt and put the thumb screw back on... et voila! The extra inch the Missus wanted from you!

Note: when re-installing the trunk liner use a flat blade screwdriver to help the tabs by the locking mechanism in.

The bike won't look much different but be careful when parallel parking as it is now longer...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
When I have my topcase on, it's always in the rearmost position. I would guess it gives the passenger an extra 1 – 1 ½ inches. My wife said it is a big improvement.
And (passing a tip along) that extra 1.5 inches makes a great place to stuff a half cover or anything else you need handy. Thanks to Ken Meese for the handy tip. This is much easier than the stuff sack and storing it in my side cases. I've also got my Strap 'n Go's in there.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Very easy and only takes a few minutes.
- Open the trunk lid, remove the thumb screw on the left side where the retaining belt is. Then remove the retaining belt by sliding it to the left side and gently let it retract.
- Next remove the trunk liner. Underneath you will find 4 screws. Remove these 4 screws and move the trunk back a bit until you line up with the second set of screw holes. Insert and tighten your 4 screws.
- Re-install the trunk liner, re-attach the retaining belt and put the thumb screw back on... et voila! The extra inch the Missus wanted from you!

Note: when re-installing the trunk liner use a flat blade screwdriver to help the tabs by the locking mechanism in.

The bike won't look much different but be careful when parallel parking as it is now longer...!
The above information is right on the mark with one aditional step,
after you've removed the four bolts inside the trunk,
tip the trunk forward and you'll see four more allen bolts,
remove them (one at a time) and move them to the adjoining hole,
the trunk will then bolt into the holes you've vacated.
And don't bother with removing the rear seat and unplugging, it's not nescesary.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
And don't bother with removing the rear seat and unplugging, it's not nescesary.
Not necessary, but it keeps you from doing a juggling act with the topcase while you move the 4 bolts.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #7 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 5:26 pm
Rider Journeyman

One more tip. The bottom of the case is a liner, essentially, a plasitic bucket. It is held inside the thick outer plastic by a strip of velcro in the back (between the hinges), parallel to the rim about an inch below and two plastic tabs near the metal locking hooks above the handle.

To loosen the back of the liner, use your fingers and pull firmly, but gently to separate the velcro. Then lift it up just a bit, maybe an inch and release it.

The front part, slide a flat screw driver down the little openings and very gently press the plastic tabs toward the center while gently applying upward pressure. Repeat on the remaining side.

Then pull the bucket out. Don't be afraid of the task. You're going to have to learn to do it eventually. Even if you break a tab, it's not the end of the world.....Besides, the dealer probably will break the the tab and not mention it

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #8 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
I wonder if anyone has had the top case and passenger backrest moved back in order to allow the passenger more room. Dealer suggested that I let them do it and that's fine with me. Does anyone know how much additional room this will provide? Also, I suppose it would make the top case hang over the back of the bike a bit. How does this look? Thanks.

Ray
Ray - take a look at the scoot pictured in this post. I think the trunk is in the rearmost position. HTH.
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 7:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Good catch, Dick. His trunk is in the rear position. In the factory position the lower edge of the trunk lines up with the back edge of the saddlebags.

Mine has been in the back from day one. Unless I'm riding solo, then it comes off entirely.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Quote:

Ray
Here's a mod that will give you the "stretch limo" version. 2 inches versus 1.

Amy likes it especially when she is wearing cold weather gear - and she is all of 5' 5" and 120 lbs...

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=244215

One word of caution - do not use nylon spacers - use only metal. The nylon will dessicate and crack over time, voice of experience here.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 7:55 am

I did mine with little problem and my mechanical skills could be best described as sub-par.

As far as looks go, it looks just fine
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 9:14 am

Here's hoping you woke with a sense of humor this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
I did mine with little problem and my mechanical skills could be best described as sub-par.

As far as looks go, it looks just fine
Wow, in this post you sound almost...uh... humble

who are you and what have you done with our "real" Rixchard

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 16 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
------------The front part, slide a flat screw driver down the little openings and very gently press the plastic tabs toward the center while gently applying upward pressure. Repeat on the remaining side.----------------------------
I would call that the rear, but know what you mean. Actually you have to press the plastic lugs toward you (the rear of the bike), not toward the center to unclip them.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:03 am

Humble? Never! Aware of my own deficiencies (however few they may be)? Always!
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 4:16 am

Quote:

Ray
Hi Ray,

I have done the mod Ron Miller described (moving the trunk back further from factory rear position). This was very useful and now I have storage space behind the rear seat for all my rain gear + umbrella . I also moved the passenger backrest upwards 13 mm in order to get better access to this new storage when the trunk lid is in open position.

Here are two pics of the bike (taken at Blue Moon service session at CCR 06) , which might give you the impression whether the bike looks get spoiled or not...The third one shows the backrest in raised position. I nowadays have a black vinyl cover between the seat and the backrest and that prevents the stuff from pressing out from the storage.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3. Rain gear packed.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	7801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike serviced.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	7802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test ride.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	7803  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #16 of 16 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:51 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I would call that the rear, but know what you mean. Actually you have to press the plastic lugs toward you (the rear of the bike), not toward the center to unclip them.
Thanks David,

I should have gone out to the bike and confirmed before describing from what's left of my memory.....but the bike is 2,000 miles away

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in