Recent maintainance,New tires. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2016, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Recent maintainance,New tires.

Hello again distinguished members. Well as many of you may know. I had a idle issue after a battery change out. Would not do a TPS reset. I installed a new O2 sensor. Still no results So she went to the local BMW dealer. He reset the TVA. Now she runs great. I also just installed a set of Avon 3DXM Storm 3's . Great tire Wow.. Sticky. Only thing I noticed was me and my wife were out yesterday. And in the middle of a left turn,I hit a tar snake. It unsettled the LT just enough,You know.. To make your butt pucker. Well. It was 93 out under a hot sun and probably softened the tar. So I'm not reading to much into that now. Anyway. Give them 2 thumbs up so far.I do now notice after the O2-sensor replacement. I do not get anymore black soot on my muffler. And no more of the occasional smoke on startup. Have noticed the mpg is slow to recover.It's creeping up slowly yesterday after a fill up. It rose to 34.5 from 31-32.5. May need to reset BC computer. But I have a zumo 550. I can track mileage with that. Will see if mpg improves.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Aug 28th, 2016 at 8:58 am. Reason: Misspell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2016, 9:05 am

Garage
Re: Recent maintainance,New tires.

+1 on the AVON's. Just put new set on my '01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Hello again distinguished members. Well as many of you may know. I had a idle issue after a battery change out. Would not do a TPS reset. I installed a new O2 sensor. Still no results So she went to the local BMW dealer. He reset the TVA. Now she runs great. I also just installed a set of Avon 3DXM Storm 3's . Great tire Wow.. Sticky. Only thing I noticed was me and my wife were out yesterday. And in the middle of a left turn,I hit a tar snake. It unsettled the LT just enough,You know.. To make your butt pucker. Well. It was 93 out under a hot sun and probably softened the tar. So I'm not reading to much into that now. Anyway. Give them 2 thumbs up so far.I do now notice after the O2-sensor replacement. I do not get anymore black soot on my muffler. And no more of the occasional smoke on startup. Have noticed the mpg is slow to recover.It's creeping up slowly yesterday after a fill up. It rose to 34.5 from 31-32.5. May need to reset BC computer. But I have a zumo 550. I can track mileage with that. Will see if mpg improves.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2016, 6:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just do a reset on the BC you will have a good average in a single day of riding. When I take a long trip and pull the Bushtec I do a reset every day as it helps make the Mile to Empty more accurate.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2016, 6:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Just do a reset on the BC you will have a good average in a single day of riding. When I take a long trip and pull the Bushtec I do a reset every day as it helps make the Mile to Empty more accurate.
How does a reset help the DTE? Is this only on the older models before the LCD dash?

My DTE appears to use real-time MPG as I can watch the DTE decrease as I climb a long hill and increase as I descend the other side. It would be nuts to us an average MPG value in a DTE calculation.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2016, 8:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

True, but it is part of the algorithm that computes DTE along with other inputs. I have no data but I suspect that it also uses injector pulse width as that would explain "making" gas going down hill. I have observed that the low fuel light (normally set to come on at 1 gallon left) will come on at different DTE based on the current MPG. If my average is 44 MPG the light comes on at 44 DTE, if I reset and the average for the day is now 35 MPG the light comes on at 35 DTE.

I discovered this the hard way on my first trip with a trailer. My MPG had dropped but the long term average was high (no recent reset). After the light came on I watched the DTE dropping and shortly after it went to 15 then -- I ran out of gas. So based on this I usually do a reset each day of a long trip as time in the mountains I get 48 - 50 MPG and trying to beat a head wind while maintaining 75 MPH is west Texas I get 28 MPG at best.

I doubt we will ever really know what all goes into computing DTE, but a reset is always in my hip pocket on long trips.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2016, 9:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
True, but it is part of the algorithm that computes DTE along with other inputs. I have no data but I suspect that it also uses injector pulse width as that would explain "making" gas going down hill. I have observed that the low fuel light (normally set to come on at 1 gallon left) will come on at different DTE based on the current MPG. If my average is 44 MPG the light comes on at 44 DTE, if I reset and the average for the day is now 35 MPG the light comes on at 35 DTE.

I discovered this the hard way on my first trip with a trailer. My MPG had dropped but the long term average was high (no recent reset). After the light came on I watched the DTE dropping and shortly after it went to 15 then -- I ran out of gas. So based on this I usually do a reset each day of a long trip as time in the mountains I get 48 - 50 MPG and trying to beat a head wind while maintaining 75 MPH is west Texas I get 28 MPG at best.

I doubt we will ever really know what all goes into computing DTE, but a reset is always in my hip pocket on long trips.
I am not familiar with the BMW algorithm, but most modern cars measure MPG by integrating the fuel injection pulses to measure fuel flow. With precise metering devices like fuel injectors this is far more accurate than the fuel tank level sensor. It certainly seems likely that the LT would use this approach also.

It seems unlikely to me that the DTE would be based on a long-term average when the real-time value is available and more relevant. I wonder if you have the correlation correct, but maybe the causation reversed. The real-time MPG is likely short-term averaged, probably using a "box car" average or something similar. I can guess this based on the lag in DTE update when in hilly terrain such as where I live.

It may be that the DTE is computed from the real-time average and by resetting the "long term" average each day you are keeping it close to the real-time average. This is pure speculation on my part, based solely on how I would do this if I was the engineer in charge. It is just more logical to me than using the longer term average maintained by the BC for display to the rider.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 7 Old Aug 28th, 2016, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Reset the MPG only? I was talking about a hard reset on the BC. There is a procedure here somewhere. Although. I see it increase/decrease as I'm rolling. I think it isn't necessary.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in