Seat Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Seat Removal

Took the leap on a Bill Mayer saddle for the LT, have really enjoyed one on the GS for a year now. When I start taking the saddle off to ship........wires, wires. The rear seat has the heater plug right out in the open but the back rest and pilots seat require tupperware removal. Press for time and intimidated with taking the left side of the bike off, I cut the wires and will put some high quality connectors on, which is what BMW should have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 8:35 am

On the left side of the bike, at the front, lift the driver seat and just under the plastic, you should see a white 4 pin connector. That's the connector for the seat wiring - so they do provide a quick connector. Unfortunately, despite the fact that they provide this quick connector, BMW wraps the heated seat wire along the frame on the left side - zip ties it - and then plugs it into the connector, so you can't easily remove the seat as it ships from the factory. One of the first things I did when I removed the plastic on the left side was to cut the zip ties to let me pull the seat wire (and the seat) at will and then zip (loosely) the remaining wires back. Unfortunately, you've already cut the heated seat wire on yours, but, you could always do a good splice back and then remove the seat wire from the zip ties. You'll find lots of info on this site on removing the plastic on the left side. If memory serves me right, there are 20 screws (10 in the pieces you need to remove first - the tip over bumper, the tip over wing, the signal light, the mirror and the cap over the seat) and 10 more in the left fairing plastic. Entire process takes about 12 minutes now - a half hour the first time you try it. There are lots of detailed instructions on this site on how to do it.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 9:58 am

Thurmont, Maryland... nice place..

Sorry you didn't find the "easy disconnect" for the rear seat....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:12 am

seat removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhargrave
Took the leap on a Bill Mayer saddle for the LT, have really enjoyed one on the GS for a year now. When I start taking the saddle off to ship........wires, wires. The rear seat has the heater plug right out in the open but the back rest and pilots seat require tupperware removal. Press for time and intimidated with taking the left side of the bike off, I cut the wires and will put some high quality connectors on, which is what BMW should have done.
Here is a pic of the front seat will try to find the back for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frntseat1.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	7746  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
When I was doing a 12K service and the tupperware was off, I unhooked the front seat heater plug from its frame mount and rotated it 180 degrees than snapped it back in place. Now I can unhook the front seat heater plug easily without removing anything first.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

I found the rear seat connector, it is in plain sight,however, I will now have connectors for the passenger backrest and the front seat where I want them. Will be using a quality connector with solder and heat shrink, should be no problem.
The front seat connector was also visable and if it had been put in with the sqeeze end facing the inside of the bike I could have disconnected it without taking anything off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in