Throttle Reset?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Throttle Reset??

OK, I just read a thread where a guy had not cranked his bike for 8 months, had no charger attached during that time and the bike would not start, of course.

Now, advice given him was to "reset" by turning the throttle 2 times before attempting to start again (after charging the battery). What is this? Something I might need to know about or a joke I missed? Will be replacing my battery soon, so bike will be temporarily without any power to any circuits, etc. Dealer has told me there is no big deal with disconnecting the old battery, leaving the bike totally without power while the change out is being made. I asked about that because I had heard that on some bikes, the electrical compoments "remembered" certain things from feedback it had "learned" while the bike was in use.

Thanks for any new knowledge anyone has for me.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
Now, advice given him was to "reset" by turning the throttle 2 times before attempting to start again (after charging the battery). What is this? Something I might need to know about or a joke I missed?
Hi Tom, no, not a joke - if you disconnect the battery, you should wind the throttle fully open twice with the ignition on (but engine off). This resets the ECU, if you do not do it, although the ECU will 'learn' the max throttle posn. over time, the bike can be a bit sluggish till then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	7745  

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Woolly; Oct 25th, 2006 at 7:33 am.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Hi Tom, no, not a joke - if you disconnect the battery, you should wind the throttle fully open twice with the ignition on (but engine off). This resets the ECU, if you do not do it, although the ECU will 'learn' the max throttle posn. over time, the bike can be a bit sluggish till then.
Wow, advice all the way from merry old England this early (at least here anyway)in the morning, Ain't modern life great!!

Thanks, Woolly!

Tom

1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
Wow, advice all the way from merry old England this early (at least here anyway)in the morning, Ain't modern life great!!

Thanks, Woolly!
Actually, middle of the afternoon - just off down to thevillage pub for a pint or two (!!!) of (warm) beer

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #5 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Shadup yous,

One of my favorite memories. Traveling with my family, finally landing in London, renting a car and heading out.

First stop - a pub for some after travel grub. Man, ain't much that's ever tasted better.

Hey, have a cider for me, k?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually, middle of the afternoon - just off down to thevillage pub for a pint or two (!!!) of (warm) beer
Well I perfer my beer cold, but have been known to drink it otherwise when the ice ran out!

As an aside, my dad was stationed in Scotland during early WWII, flying B-17's to Germany. When I was just a boy he told me of going to the pub in the wintertime in Scotland, where they learned from the locals to take a fire poker from the fireplace, heat it in the fire, then stick the end of it into the beer mug--instant heat for the beer! Of course back then the fire was the only heat in the place. Have always wanted to try that............

Nice talking to you Woolly

Tom McIntyre

Tom

post #7 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Had similar issues mid summer. Was only getting 35/38 mpg no matter how i rode the bike & mileage loss was after doing my 24K service during the winter.
** had disconnected the battery & when done doing the service, hooked it back up & went riding ....

WRONG thing to do !!! .... Bike ran fine, but was a tad rich by looking at the pipe outlet.

.... Went back a few months ago, pulled the fuse for the motronic unit and left it alone for @ 2 hours. Then plug fuse back in (Same as disconnecting battery) and switched on ignition, but DID NOT start ... rolled throttle from idle to full @ 3 times to give the motronic unit throttle end points & reset the calibration.

Sense doing that my mileage has been NO LOWER than 43 and has averaged @ 48 !!

that just maybe your trouble too ?

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
.... Went back a few months ago, pulled the fuse for the motronic unit and left it alone for @ 2 hours.
I suppose I could go look it up, but since you're here... which fuse is for the moronic? (on a 2001)
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
I suppose I could go look it up, but since you're here... which fuse is for the moronic? (on a 2001)
Hi, Michael - you've prolly already looked it up, butt since I'm here , I'll tell ya. Far right side fuse block (bike brake side), it's the bottom one of the four fuses. Just pop the cover, pull the fuse (a 15amp one), wait a bit and then back it goes. Then do the throttle dance and you're good to go.

I will say, that's how the '99 bikes are set up and the manual reads that way - if it changed for the '01 year, you'll be told by someone here, I'm sure. HTH.
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 8:52 am

Here you go, at no charge!! - fuse location & descriptions . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse1.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	7771   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	7772  

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #11 of 12 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 9:40 am

Quote:
Still using those darned Lucas Electric refrigerators, eh?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Don't knock Lucas - Prince of Darkness It' finally got to that time of year when I need to swap out the fridge in the top box with the microwave

• MB SLK 350 MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in