ABS Red Triangle Debate--- - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scimitar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Question ABS Red Triangle Debate---

I have an Intermittent Red Triangle warning light.... I have professionally (BMW Computer) flushed the Break Fluid-- the light still comes on occasionally-- 4 x this summer. Fluids are OK., Break light was OK--still changed it.

It is a 2003 K1200LT 34k miles

I have seen this discussed on different sites and usually results in a pissing match (for lack of a better term)

Brakes seem to work normal/fine while light is on. Turning off the bike resets it for some time....

Question/Delema

Really not willing to pay BMW to replace the ABS.

Is the bike safe "enough" to drive as is? More than half of the responses from previous posts say yes... others say it is too risky.

I have driven large bikes all my life without ABS--- if the breaks work as they currently do, I feel safe and never drove the bike relying on ABS. IS it safer with it---I am sure... Is it as safe as driving a fully dressed Harley without ABS is the question I am asking.

There are no affordable rebuilds--- and the cost of replacement just about totals the bike.

I am sure this debate has gone on in the past and continues... History will suggest if it is safe if people respond with a History of riding with the light on.

Thanks for any and all responses....

PS the warning light stays on... it is not flashing--if that matters.

Keep it civil, don't rant and rave on either side.... Gloom and Doom will not be appreciated. "What is your life worth..." Bla Bla Bla. Is it as safe as driving a fully dressed Harley without ABS is the question I am asking. IF it comes down to NO--AND is true... I will sell it and buy a different bike. Letting the BUYER know of coarse.

GaryDZ

Last edited by GaryDZ; Aug 25th, 2016 at 6:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 8:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: ABS Red Triangle Debate---

I don't know why there are pissing contests but from the BMW manual the ONLY time the General Warning light comes on (by itself) is when there is an issue with the center bulb in the rear tail light assembly (on an LT). This is an artifact of the use of a a similar ABS unit on the RS which only has one bulb in the tail light. The ABS monitored this light and also controlled it when the tail light filament burned out, it would operate the brake filament at reduced brightness and provided a warning in the form of illuminating the general warning light.

You said it was intermittent so I would check the condition of the bulb socket as well as the bulb itself. The center one is the only one it monitors. The center bulb is a tail light only (single filament) unless some one has modified it to have a dual filament bulb. But again only the tail light filament is monitored.

There is no impact to brake and ABS functions at all.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Aug 25th, 2016 at 8:13 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2016, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I don't know why there are pissing contests but from the BMW manual the ONLY time the General Warning light comes on (by itself) is when there is an issue with the center bulb in the rear tail light assembly (on an LT). This is an artifact of the use of a a similar ABS unit on the RS which only has one bulb in the tail light. The ABS monitored this light and also controlled it when the tail light filament burned out, it would operate the brake filament at reduced brightness and provided a warning in the form of illuminating the general warning light.

You said it was intermittent so I would check the condition of the bulb socket as well as the bulb itself. The center one is the only one it monitors. The center bulb is a tail light only (single filament) unless some one has modified it to have a dual filament bulb. But again only the tail light filament is monitored.

There is no impact to brake and ABS functions at all.

JOHN,
In addition to your tip on the rear center bulb being defective (or an intermittent wire circuit) he should ALSO check for a defective or badly adjusted brake switch. The front switch is not easily accessible, but the rear one is. It is more common for the REAR brake switch to have a problem because of its location and maintenance done in this area (behind foot-peg plate).

To better understand how the brake-switch behavior will affect the RED general-warning on dash (triangle), the OP should read this older thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ake-press.html

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2016, 8:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks John, I had forgotten about that one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2019, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

I somehow missed these responses... Thanks. I will check the switch.

My stomach sinks every-time it comes on. It was off most of the summer, just came one again last weekend. It is a very intimidating warning light. I never notice any change in breaking with the light on or off. I will read the post you referenced.

Sory for the delay is saying THANKS to everyone.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Wow, it's been three years. We thought your brakes had failed and you went over a cliff.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2019, 4:15 am

Did you break your braking system then?
dukey33 likes this.

Previous username - ajlelectronics

Tags
abs red triangle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in