Questions from a newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Questions from a newbie

Hello!! I am shopping for a new bike and a few weeks ago I test drove a Gold Wing 1800 and was very impressed. Today a test drove a K1200LT and fell in love with a marvelous bike. At this point, I have a few questions. First, while I am not a professional mechanic, I like to do as much work on my bikes as I possibly can. How easy is it to work on this bike?? Besides the BMW service manual, is there some other source for information on how to do the service work on a K1200LT?? Second, all of the other bikes I have owned or even considered purchasing had mediocre suspension and all were vastly improved by upgrading the suspension. Is this also true for the BMW bikes?? for the K1200LT?? If so, what would you recommend??

Thanks for your help.

Mark Hagy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drev53
Hello!! I am shopping for a new bike and a few weeks ago I test drove a Gold Wing 1800 and was very impressed. Today a test drove a K1200LT and fell in love with a marvelous bike. At this point, I have a few questions. First, while I am not a professional mechanic, I like to do as much work on my bikes as I possibly can. How easy is it to work on this bike?? Besides the BMW service manual, is there some other source for information on how to do the service work on a K1200LT?? Second, all of the other bikes I have owned or even considered purchasing had mediocre suspension and all were vastly improved by upgrading the suspension. Is this also true for the BMW bikes?? for the K1200LT?? If so, what would you recommend??

Thanks for your help.

Mark Hagy
Mark,

I believe that you will find that both the Honda and the BMW are somewhat of a challenge to work on, but this should not deter you from buying. As with any bike, certain things are easy , certain things are more difficult . One of the more aggravating factors in working on the LT is removing all the plastic bodywork (tupperware) to get to the smallest things. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't all that bad and all that plastic makes it the easiest bike ever to wash! Not all the nooks and crannies of a bike with an exposed engine.

Besides the BMW manual, which I think is rather lacking, I would suggest the Clymer manual and a lot of study on this site. This site is the most incredible resource I have ever seen for ANY motorcycle. There are folks on this site who are more than ready to help out in any way and are a veritable well-spring of knowledge. I have owned my LT only about 6 months and have already pulled MAJOR services on it...mostly preventative maintenance and have not had to take it to a dealer yet. Guys on this site helped out...with advice and physical assistance.

As for suspension, almost any bike can be improved upon dramatically by aftermarket products and the precious LT is no exception. It is costly and I would suggest riding for awhile and then, if you feel it is needed, upgrade. Frankly, the stock suspension on my LT provides a far superior ride over any other bike I have ever ridden.

One other thing...I love my LT for many reasons...one of which is the fact that you don't see one on every corner. It is a FANTASTIC bike...even though it is large, it handles great, plenty of power, full of conveniences and very dependable. Oh yeah...I LOVE riding now better than ever before...all because of the virtues of the LT! God bless and have a great day.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drev53

Thanks for your help.

Mark Hagy
Between the service manual, the Paul Sayegh service CDs, and this site, there is likely nothing one cannot do on the LT. Once you get the fairings off, most of the work is reasonably easy, if sometimes a little time consuming. No matter what you want to do to the LT, someone here has already done it, usually several, so you can get plenty of advice, and in many areas there are tech./service "parties", where you can watch and or do work on your bike and others.

Ohlins or Wilburs shocks are nice, but no need to rush out and get them for a new bike, as the stocks are quite decent, for about 25,000 miles. Save up and be ready to buy shocks about that time. It is not cheap! But neither are the stock ones if you replace them. Figure around $1200. Good thing is that the Ohlins and Wilburs are rebuildable, about $100 each for a full rebuild, or about $20 for a nitrogen recharge, which often is all they will need.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:08 pm

I never worked in a Honda before. Actually, matter of fact I never worked in a bike before my second LT (2002) and I would say that it's not that complicated to do the simple things. There are few services I still going to a shop (valves adjustment and linked brakes flush).
I'm not a mechanic inclined neither, so it can give you an idea that it's not that difficult.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in