Bridgestone BT-020 Front Tire in California - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jrowlandesq
  • 1 Post By KI_OTE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 19th, 2016, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Bridgestone BT-020 Front Tire in California

I replaced my Metzler with a BT-020 about a month ago, great move I think. I like the ride and it appears to be getting better mileage. I needed a new front so I went with the front BT-020. Whoa!! The tread catches the rain groves on the freeways out here in So Cal and has you wiggling all over. I must have stopped 4 times on the way home to check all the bolts that would have been removed to make sure they were all tight. I called Bridgestone and they said they aren't aware of any issues. I recall having this same problem may years ago with a KZ-900 with Contis on I think. On pavement it's great, but as soon as I hit the freeway groves it does the wiggle thing. I guess I'll ride it for the 10K miles that I usually get and go back to the Metzler on the front. Any one have a similar experience?

Joe Rowland
Tricky_dickey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 19th, 2016, 6:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Bridgestone BT-020 Front Tire in California

You should be able to switch back to the Metzler front much sooner. I replaced my Bridgestone at 4,803 miles - was not too happy with the front, but like the 'Stones on the rear.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 19th, 2016, 8:07 pm

i just put the Avon's on mine front and rear. I seem to get the same wiggle - was going to check the whole front end out and check the upper ball joint to see if there was a issue - just took a brand new metz off - hate to mix tires - just hated the noise from the metz could hear it over the stereo and i use earplugs.
Any one using the Avon's experience the same issue

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 19th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky_dickey View Post
i just put the Avon's on mine front and rear. I seem to get the same wiggle - was going to check the whole front end out and check the upper ball joint to see if there was a issue - just took a brand new metz off - hate to mix tires - just hated the noise from the metz could hear it over the stereo and i use earplugs.
Any one using the Avon's experience the same issue
Just bought a roadrider for the front so when I get it mounted and swapped out, I will certainly pay attention to those details. Currently have a Met and no such issue that I have noticed except the howl.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 9:31 am

I have had nothing but long wear on the Bridgestone tires on the REAR... But the last set of tires I purchased and used were Michelin Pilot Road 3 /rear and PR4 front. They were a pleasure to ride on wet or dry pavement, and when I sold the bike a year ago they had 4000 miles on them and both looked like there were near new.

Note: I enjoy the twisties, but am not an aggressive rider... The next set I need to purchase will be the latest version of the Pilot Road tires...

In my experience, rain grooves act much like roads that have been milled for repaving. Very uncomfortable control on those roads.

1983 R100 Airhead & Velorex 562 Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (SOLD! ...just too darn tall for me!)
1999 R1100RT-P (SOLD!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (SOLD!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowlandesq View Post
I replaced my Metzler with a BT-020 about a month ago, great move I think. I like the ride and it appears to be getting better mileage. I needed a new front so I went with the front BT-020. Whoa!! The tread catches the rain groves on the freeways out here in So Cal and has you wiggling all over. I must have stopped 4 times on the way home to check all the bolts that would have been removed to make sure they were all tight. I called Bridgestone and they said they aren't aware of any issues. I recall having this same problem may years ago with a KZ-900 with Contis on I think. On pavement it's great, but as soon as I hit the freeway groves it does the wiggle thing. I guess I'll ride it for the 10K miles that I usually get and go back to the Metzler on the front. Any one have a similar experience?

Joe Rowland
Do you have a Metzler on the back?
In my experience, a mixed set of tires can have unpredictable results. The mix may seem fine most of the time, and then surprise.
I had such an experience with a mix (I don't recall the exact mix, but some combination of Metzlers and Bridgestones). Rode from Vermont down the Blue Ridge Parkway and into Florida with no problems at all. Got onto a particular stretch of Florida highway (not grooved, but a slightly rough surface) and the bike was scary squirrelly. Problem went away on a different road surface.

On another note, I'd be very surprised if you get more miles out of a Bridgestone than a Metzler. That would be the opposite of the collective experience of members of this board.

I have run many sets BT202s. It is my favorite. However, because of the short life-span of the Stone on front, I do what many other have done, which is to run a Metzler on front and a Stone on the rear. It sounds like you may be doing the opposite?
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
I have had nothing but long wear on the Bridgestone tires on the REAR... But the last set of tires I purchased and used were Michelin Pilot Road 3 /rear and PR4 front. They were a pleasure to ride on wet or dry pavement, and when I sold the bike a year ago they had 4000 miles on them and both looked like there were near new.

Note: I enjoy the twisties, but am not an aggressive rider... The next set I need to purchase will be the latest version of the Pilot Road tires...

In my experience, rain grooves act much like roads that have been milled for repaving. Very uncomfortable control on those roads.
Don't know if the Pilot Roads are reinforced enough for the LT, but I have a set on my GT and they are by far the best tracking tire through grooves that I have ever used. I barely even notice road grooves with these tires.
Tricky_dickey likes this.

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2016, 10:06 am

I went with a set of Avon Storm 3DXM's . So far they are nice. The other choice I almost went with was a Avon Roadrider front and a Bridgestone BT020 rear. If the Avons don't get the mileage they should. That may be my next set. I have run mixed, and not had issues. Just not that combination.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Aug 26th, 2016 at 10:14 am.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2016, 1:08 am

i just put Avons on mine and find the same issue
i took a metzler off because of the noise and not a fan of mixing tires manufactures and compounds
been playing with the preload on the rear and found that i raised it up it 's much better still not as true as my other bikes but better
keep us advised of how it goes
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2016, 1:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI_OTE View Post
Don't know if the Pilot Roads are reinforced enough for the LT, but I have a set on my GT and they are by far the best tracking tire through grooves that I have ever used. I barely even notice road grooves with these tires.
i looked and would have gone the road pilot 4 if they met the spec and when i contacted Michelin they just flat said "NO"
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2016, 1:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowlandesq View Post

Joe Rowland
What year is your LT and is the BT-020 a radial?
2005+ BMW changed the rake angle and recommended bias tires.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in