Motus - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eelmgren

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 17th, 2016, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Motus

Motus, what are you're thoughts?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 17th, 2016, 9:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Motus

Robert,

There is a dealer about 1/2 hour ride from here, he runs a private repair business and somehow got to sell them. So I have seen one in person. They look well made and seem to be a nice bike, although a little sparse in covering/routing small wiring and connectors. The shop owner says they are a great bike and has only good things to say about them. I am sure I could get more info for you if interested.
HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 17th, 2016, 9:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Motus, what are you're thoughts?

Robert
Pros:

Low maintenance engine that makes competitive power with proven technology that is simple to work on - hydraulic lifters like my old Voyager, pushrods, two-valves for torque, etc.

Dash looks much nicer than anything BMW

Good quality suspension, brakes, etc.

The adjustable bars look neat

Cons:

No touring model

Appears to have chain drive

Ugly from the front

Ugly from the side. The forward sloping V-4 looks odd to me. And the vertical pipes coming at an odd angle to the valve covers is just ugly to my eye.

Nearest dealer is 3:30 away. Much worse than the 2:00 for my nearest BMW dealer.

Looks like they have the raw material to make a killer luxury touring bike. That V-4 is an ideal engine for a bike like the LT. I am guessing they won't sell enough bikes to stay in business, but maybe they can get Polaris to buy them!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 17th, 2016, 11:16 pm

It is chain drive. Would have been a natural for a shaft with the longitudinal crank. They must have run out of time and money for design / tooling. I would love to ride one but my knees would hurt!
post #5 of 19 Old Aug 18th, 2016, 8:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
It is chain drive. Would have been a natural for a shaft with the longitudinal crank. They must have run out of time and money for design / tooling. I would love to ride one but my knees would hurt!
Chain is fine for a purely sport bike where you are home every night. I think it is a bad choice for a touring bike: sport, adventure or luxury. I don't want to lose space to a can of chain lube and have the hassle of cleaning and lubing the chain every few days. That is a deal breaker for me. I have already owned my lifetime quota of chain drive bikes! I would try belt, but prefer a well-designed shaft drive.

And I didn't see cruise control mentioned. Another deal breaker for me.

We will see if they last long enough to get a chance to offer other models.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #6 of 19 Old Aug 18th, 2016, 9:57 am

If I had the money I'd go buy one today. Only down side I see is that they cost too damn much - especially when you compare it to else is in the same price range.
Conroe_Keith likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 18th, 2016, 11:12 am

Hey Scouter -

Not sure if you've seen one in person yet, but Gulf Coast had one. Web site says they still do (New 2015 Other Motus MST Motorcycles in South Houston, TX). I think I saw an MST-R there at the beginning of the year. All I can say is: very well done aesthetically (regardless of whether you like the looks overall), sounds badass, very pricey.

Hope all is well.

Chris

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 18th, 2016, 11:38 am

Awesome piece of engineering, if I had the money I'd buy one today. I've toured plenty with chain driven motorcycles so not an issue for me. Cruise control and ABS would be nice though. I feel this company will be around for awhile, if not for the motorcycles just selling the engine alone.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #9 of 19 Old Aug 18th, 2016, 12:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
Hey Scouter -

Not sure if you've seen one in person yet, but Gulf Coast had one. Web site says they still do (New 2015 Other Motus MST Motorcycles in South Houston, TX). I think I saw an MST-R there at the beginning of the year. All I can say is: very well done aesthetically (regardless of whether you like the looks overall), sounds badass, very pricey.

Hope all is well.

Chris
If you don't like the looks overall, then it isn't well done aesthetically.

I think it is ugly due to just a few design misses. The pipes that don't exit perpendicular to the head/valve cover is a big one to my eye. The funny looking front-end is another. Maybe they should hire Glynn Kerr on their next design cycle. It has a lot of potential, but falls short currently.

Looks like a killer engine, but needs a bike to match.

Yes, the price will be an issue. Then again, BMW and Harley also are priced beyond all reason yet sell well. I just don't think the V-4 alone will carry the day at the $30K price point. The Motus lacks the heritage of Harley and the technology and features of BMW, yet sells at the same price point. I hope they succeed, but doubt they will. I would hope that someone like Polaris would take advantage of that and keep the basic platform alive.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 19 Old Aug 19th, 2016, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
True. I like the MST-R, but maybe "really nice attention to detail" is more accurate vs. "well done aesthetically".

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 19th, 2016, 11:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
True. I like the MST-R, but maybe "really nice attention to detail" is more accurate vs. "well done aesthetically".
It does appear they have sweated the details well for an initial launch motorcycle. And aesthetics are very personal so many may find the Motus style appealing. Time will tell.

I would like to see another high volume manufacturer of motorcycles in the US. And it seems they really did a nice job on the engine. We shall see what comes next.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 19 Old Aug 19th, 2016, 12:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I saw them in action at the Barber's Vintage Rally last Oktober. I was surprised how much engine noise it had a idle, more than my LT!

I think I would go for the Honda ST1300 if I wanted an "Moto Guzzi" V-Twin. You get sooo much more for less $$$.

The new Water Head RT sounds like a great bike, I'm afraid to test ride one.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 31st, 2016, 11:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I think it is ugly due to just a few design misses. The pipes that don't exit perpendicular to the head/valve cover is a big one to my eye. The funny looking front-end is another. Maybe they should hire Glynn Kerr on their next design cycle. It has a lot of potential, but falls short currently.

Looks like a killer engine, but needs a bike to match.

Yes, the price will be an issue. Then again, BMW and Harley also are priced beyond all reason yet sell well. I just don't think the V-4 alone will carry the day at the $30K price point. The Motus lacks the heritage of Harley and the technology and features of BMW, yet sells at the same price point. I hope they succeed, but doubt they will. I would hope that someone like Polaris would take advantage of that and keep the basic platform alive.
I was reading my recently arrived September issue of MCN and what do I see in Kerr's column but a couple of Motus "pictures." He did a few photoshop tweaks to its styling. He seems to like the bike and wants it to succeed, but says "the bike lacks visual excitement." A tactful way to say it is ugly. His tweaks help, but not much. Staying within the current design limits what can be done. I think the exaggerated engine tilt needs to be reduced and the pipes completely rethought.

Glynn also bemoans the lack of shaft drive. I got a chuckle out of his characterization of the design when he wrote "... a little bland and frumpy, looking a bit like a dated BMW design that didn't pass sign-off for production ..."

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 19 Old Sep 1st, 2016, 5:50 pm

They sell the Motus at a dealer an hour away from me.. My buddy who is close friends with the owner said they make you give a credit card to test drive the bike. If you damage it you pay for the repairs. Isn't that what dealers have insurance for. He also he said you get a very extensive grilling to determine if you are a real buyer rather than someone who just wants to say they rode one. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of treatment before from a dealer.

Scott
2007 LT
post #15 of 19 Old Sep 1st, 2016, 5:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
They sell the Motus at a dealer an hour away from me.. My buddy who is close friends with the owner said they make you give a credit card to test drive the bike. If you damage it you pay for the repairs. Isn't that what dealers have insurance for. He also he said you get a very extensive grilling to determine if you are a real buyer rather than someone who just wants to say they rode one. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of treatment before from a dealer.

No, not from any brand or dealer that has been in business any length of time. No way I let my credit card out of my possession like that. Sounds like their insurance has a huge deductible. I wonder how many people will agree to that?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 19 Old Sep 1st, 2016, 6:30 pm

A Moto-Guzzi with a chain drive ?

The engine is the wrong way round.
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 9:45 am

Garage

$30,000-$37,000 motorcycle with hardly any creature comforts. I think it is all about the engine on these bikes. Once you buy one I think you are treated like royalty but they should for what you get. Could be a cult thing.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 10:54 am

Quote:
Chain is fine for a purely sport bike where you are home every night. I think it is a bad choice for a touring bike: sport, adventure or luxury. I don't want to lose space to a can of chain lube and have the hassle of cleaning and lubing the chain every few days. That is a deal breaker for me. I have already owned my lifetime quota of chain drive bikes! I would try belt, but prefer a well-designed shaft drive.

And I didn't see cruise control mentioned. Another deal breaker for me.
Don't get why we don't see more belt driven ST's out there. If HD can do it w/ an 850lb machine w/ lots of low end torque, why not use them in lighter ST's? I loved it on the '13 F800GT--clean, quiet, no maintenance, can't be beat for efficiency power delivery to the rear wheel, and removes weight. The GT had a 24K recommended change interval but it is common for people to take them out to 36 to 48K before it was clear it should be replaced. I think HD does at least 50K. One interesting attribute w/ belt is it's very hard to ever have a hard lockup--teeth will shear off the belt but can't have a hard lock up. Not sure if shafts can ever lock up.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 13th, 2016, 11:25 am

Saw one in person. Loved it. Some ugly angles but I don't care. Can't see it when I'm riding. I prefer shaft and think the long. crank begs for one. But, I'd buy one if I was wealthy. The Givi bags are great for touring! BMW 800GT is the only Sport-tourer after Buell with a belt drive. I think more should try it.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in