Question about brake bleeding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2016, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Question about brake bleeding

My LT has the grub screw/filler adapter instead of the usual bleeder only for the right side of the front brake. For some reason they put it on just for one side and the left side as the normal bleeder screw. So I bought a SB1010 speed bleeder on ebay and was trying to bleed my brakes today. I removed the grub screw so as to screw the speed bleeder instead but the unthreaded end of the speedbleeder was too deep which prevent the thread of the speedbleeder to reach thread of the brake filler. I filled a part of the cone shape end of the speed bleeder so as I could screw it until it seated. Then I screwed the speed bleeder 1/4 turn and tried to press the brake level but that did not push any brake fluid through the bleeder. So I screwed the speedbleeder a little bit more but still no brake fluid pushed out when pressing the brake lever. I dont want to screw the bleeder too muich not to damage the thread of the brake filler. Anything I am doing wrong here?

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2016, 10:30 am

Re: Question about brake bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpac View Post
My LT has the grub screw/filler adapter instead of the usual bleeder only for the right side of the front brake. For some reason they put it on just for one side and the left side as the normal bleeder screw. So I bought a SB1010 speed bleeder on ebay and was trying to bleed my brakes today. I removed the grub screw so as to screw the speed bleeder instead but the unthreaded end of the speedbleeder was too deep which prevent the thread of the speedbleeder to reach thread of the brake filler. I filled a part of the cone shape end of the speed bleeder so as I could screw it until it seated. Then I screwed the speed bleeder 1/4 turn and tried to press the brake level but that did not push any brake fluid through the bleeder. So I screwed the speedbleeder a little bit more but still no brake fluid pushed out when pressing the brake lever. I dont want to screw the bleeder too muich not to damage the thread of the brake filler. Anything I am doing wrong here?
First of all, what year is your LT? Need to know if it is ABS-II or I-ABS.

There is a check ball in the end of the bleed attachment that has to be depressed by the conical end of the bleed screw. If you ground too much off, it may not be hitting the ball and opening the way for fluid to come through. I am not a fan of speed bleeders as too many have reported them to start leaking and could not get them to stop no matter how much they tightened them.

The BMW part ( non speed bleeder) bleed screw part number is:

34 21 2 330 310 VENT SCREW - M10 0.02 1 $12.60

There is locktite on the threads of the bleed attachment so heat will need to be applied if you want to remove that thing and not remove the caliper threads with it simply use a bleed screw in its place in the right caliper. Many do that but I still keep a spare bleed screw around so I can do the clutch as it has the same. You can use an appropriate speed bleeder with no grinding in place of the bleed attachment if you choose or just use it to open the check valve for bleeding and leave it alone as I did.

Good luck.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2016, 11:37 am

The part mentioned in the above post is referred to as a grub screw. Also used on the clutch bleed port on the end of the access hose for the clutch slave cylinder. It has a bit of a change of pace to use. As mentioned there is a ball check valve at the bottom of the BMW fill port that we are talking about. So to use the grub screw the technique is just the opposite of a usual bleeding sequence. Normally you loosen the nipple to bleed a little fluid then close it before sucking air back in when you release your lever. With a grub screw you need to lightly bottom it to let the tip of the grub screw push open the ball check valve and then fluid will flow. Back off the grub screw to seal the check valve before you release the lever. It takes little torque on things to do this, in face you can do it by finger if you like but wear vinyl gloves as brake fluid as other chemicals are not good to get on your skin. I also keep a spritz bottle of water and a drop of dish soap in it to de activate spilled brake fluid and help wipe any mess.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2016, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks fo your quick response folks. I do understand the grub screw technic and the check ball that is pushed by the tip of the grub screw. I may have indeed filed the conical end of the pseed bleeder a bit too much although I did file it bit by bit until I was able to screw the bleeder thread to the brake bleed attachment. May be I got the wrong speed bleeder that has too much of non threaded conical end. My LT is a 99 non integrated brake. I wanted to use the speed bleeder just to bleed the brakes and take it out right after and not keep it permanently

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2016, 4:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just apply heat to the filler adapter (to soften the loctite) and remove it and then just replace it with a standard bleeder screw (M10). Don't know why BMW left those on anyway.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in