• 2 Post By Buff8stuff
  • 2 Post By CR125Honda
  • 1 Post By Munmi
  • 1 Post By pkpilot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Added Brake Lights

Just added a set of rear LED brake lights... a much cheaper option that other brands out there!
These are made by Prostrobe and are a one piece unit that uses 3m tape to stick on.
Have used these before on an FJR for a couple of years and never had an issue with them.

Bought them for only $20 a piece and wire straight to the rear brake wires (Grey / yellow stripe & Brown):

dlafoy, johnbaker15 and biometrics like this.

2000 K1200lt

"Some have hot dinners, some have bikes... I have (had!) both!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Re: Added Brake Lights

Fantastic! could you please share a link to where we can get some of these?

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Fantastic! could you please share a link to where we can get some of these?
Here you go:

SIDE MARKR -RED ? Prostrobe

2000 K1200lt

post #4 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Definitely cheaper than the Tailblazer, but I really like having the flashing up high. It makes me visible not only to the car behind me, but also the one behind him. And even jacked up pickups can still see me apply the brakes.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Pic of them off...

2000 K1200lt

post #6 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 10:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
Pic of them off...

Better clean up that plate before the cops stop you. It was clearly legible in the video.
🙂
zamfield likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2016, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Better clean up that plate before the cops stop you. It was clearly legible in the video.
🙂
Shhhh!
I don't think anyone else has noticed! LOL! 😁

2000 K1200lt

post #8 of 28 Old Aug 10th, 2016, 7:18 am

After a certain amount of flashes, do they flash steady? In most states, they can only flash a certain number of times.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 28 Old Aug 10th, 2016, 9:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
After a certain amount of flashes, do they flash steady? In most states, they can only flash a certain number of times.
I have the same question. I believe it's more based on time than number of flashes, but the principle is the same. I use a Kisan signal minder, I think they claim it's 50 state legal. I know it's legal here, although I've been warned about letting off and reapplying the brakes too much while slowing. I'm all about making myself very visible.
mtrevelino and dlafoy like this.
post #10 of 28 Old Aug 10th, 2016, 11:52 am

Smile Re: Added Brake Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
🙂
Too late....hehehehe.....look at first post and video

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #11 of 28 Old Aug 10th, 2016, 9:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
Just added a set of rear LED brake lights... a much cheaper option that other brands out there!
These are made by Prostrobe and are a one piece unit that uses 3m tape to stick on.
Have used these before on an FJR for a couple of years and never had an issue with them.

Bought them for only $20 a piece and wire straight to the rear brake wires (Grey / yellow stripe & Brown):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUHlo1uoHAU
Zamfield,
Those flashers definitely get attention.

For anyone else that like's this idea, here's another option.
It's a GS100A controller hooked up to the LED on the top case of my 2003 LT.
Flash a few times then stay on.
About $3 on eBay.

Ken

zamfield and Guitarlos like this.

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's

Last edited by CR125Honda; Aug 10th, 2016 at 9:49 pm.
post #12 of 28 Old Aug 10th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Quote:
I think I am missing something. The link shows a little different configuration than the video shows. Thanks for your help.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #13 of 28 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
I think I am missing something. The link shows a little different configuration than the video shows. Thanks for your help.
It's the same... I have 2 of them with a reflector in between them, that doesn't do anything except sit there! Just join the two red and two black together and wire to brown (black, ground) and gray / yellow stripe (live).

2000 K1200lt

post #14 of 28 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Quote:
It's the same... I have 2 of them with a reflector in between them, that doesn't do anything except sit there! Just join the two red and two black together and wire to brown (black, ground) and gray / yellow stripe (live).

Ok, got it. Thanks a bunch. Looks like a good thrifty project right up my alley.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #15 of 28 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 8:32 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Both of these are great mods.

Great way to add visibility at a good price.

Since I have HyperLite R/S/T and the AdMore R/S/T kit in my top case I do not need either of these But I would be all over them if not.

I do not understand flash restrictions as with my brake lights I can modulate them on off all I care to and have for many years before I could afford HyperLites or some such thing. So I cant see how a cop could fuss at you for flashing?

Anyhow great thread and great ideas for Aux. lights.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 28 Old Sep 29th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR125Honda View Post
Zamfield,
Those flashers definitely get attention.

For anyone else that like's this idea, here's another option.
It's a GS100A controller hooked up to the LED on the top case of my 2003 LT.
Flash a few times then stay on.
About $3 on eBay.

Ken

You Tube - GS100A Controller

I just installed the GS100A to LEDs on top case on the LT this afternoon. Purchased at Amazon.com for about $5. The install was very easy and the results are excellent.
Guitarlos likes this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #17 of 28 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Garage

Trying to get a definitive answer
I understand quite clearly the importance of high visibility. But have questions about the legality of flashing/pulsating/wig-wagging lights by making them a permanent modification on our bikes. I am not preaching to the choir here but I can't see where it's universal law in all our states where that alteration is deemed OK by law.

I have read quite a few reviews from different states where this type of lighting is purposeful for emergency only. And even though some LEO's will be very obliging and only mention that it is or is not legit in a particular state how could we resolve such a situation.

On the back of my FirstGear Reiner jacket which comes with a loop to affix a battery operated tail light that flashes or stays on steady. Always visible always on if I want.

ride safe
post #18 of 28 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
I understand quite clearly the importance of high visibility. But have questions about the legality of flashing/pulsating/wig-wagging lights by making them a permanent modification on our bikes.
Must not be too much of an issue as at least one of the v-twin brands has these systems as factory options. I think the key is that they are not on full time as emergency vehicle lights would be. Interesting conversation regardless.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #19 of 28 Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 9:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
I understand quite clearly the importance of high visibility. But have questions about the legality of flashing/pulsating/wig-wagging lights by making them a permanent modification on our bikes. I am not preaching to the choir here but I can't see where it's universal law in all our states where that alteration is deemed OK by law.

I have read quite a few reviews from different states where this type of lighting is purposeful for emergency only. And even though some LEO's will be very obliging and only mention that it is or is not legit in a particular state how could we resolve such a situation.

On the back of my FirstGear Reiner jacket which comes with a loop to affix a battery operated tail light that flashes or stays on steady. Always visible always on if I want.

ride safe
I can only attest to my locality, but here in Indianapolis, the city buses have the flashing/stop signals on the back side of them. Good enough for buses, good enough for Motorcycles, IMHO, here anyways. It may vary from State to State..
post #20 of 28 Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 1:50 am

I just checked the section of the vehicle code here in Oregon. Brake lights are allowed to flash intermittently on motorcycles only as long as they do not over ride turn signal function and must be red in color. They are not allowed to flash on any other motor vehicle.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #21 of 28 Old Oct 4th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
I just checked the section of the vehicle code here in Oregon. Brake lights are allowed to flash intermittently on motorcycles only as long as they do not over ride turn signal function and must be red in color. They are not allowed to flash on any other motor vehicle.
Quote:
I can only attest to my locality, but here in Indianapolis, the city buses have the flashing/stop signals on the back side of them. Good enough for buses, good enough for Motorcycles, IMHO, here anyways. It may vary from State to State..
This points directly to what I was trying to express.
I did not go through every state code for motorcycles. But on another forum NY (I believe or somewhere in the northeast) a rider stated that at the DMV either for inspection/registration when asked to tap the brake if flashers were activated the bike would not pass. So some were recommending the install of an extra toggle to mute the flash. If that is actually the case for the DMV it stands to reason that the particular state has law enforcement knowlegable of violation.

Or if someone was bringing/purchasing a mod bike into a non mod approved state then what??? Or simply how would it affect someone just riding through the state.
Back in the '80's my wife and I rode to KC Royals stadium (my first bike). Left the motel next morning to ride a couple doors down to breakfast. Cop was in the parking lot of the diner and made it quite clear that I was in a helmet law state. 'Well Officer our helmets are in our room back at the hotel'. You see we had not checked out as yet. "Well then go get them" As I was about to get back on the bike he said probably not his exact words "you don't want to do that". I got the message and jogged back to the room while my wife waited on the bike until I got back. No autographs were exchanged and the conversation after that was mild and about our visit.
I bennifited big time always wore a helmet since then

ride safe

post #22 of 28 Old Oct 11th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Garage

I looked on the net and wasn't able to locate any definitive answer to the flashers for the State of Indiana, so I called the BMV, they didn't know, I called several agencies and finally by contacting the Indiana State Police, I verified that it is legal to have momentary flashers on brake lights.

It would be nice if every state and their laws were known and posted.
post #23 of 28 Old Oct 12th, 2016, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarlos View Post
I looked on the net and wasn't able to locate any definitive answer to the flashers for the State of Indiana, so I called the BMV, they didn't know, I called several agencies and finally by contacting the Indiana State Police, I verified that it is legal to have momentary flashers on brake lights.

It would be nice if every state and their laws were known and posted.

Legal in Virginia. State code 46.2-1012

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guitarlos likes this.
post #24 of 28 Old Oct 13th, 2016, 8:26 am

Garage

I have a quick question to those that have added the flasher.....Ive heard rumblings that after installation of a flasher module, that the center stand will not work as the computer upon starting the bike senses that the resistance is not correct and locks out the CS. Is anyone having these issues?
post #25 of 28 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:58 pm

Quote:
I have a quick question to those that have added the flasher.....Ive heard rumblings that after installation of a flasher module, that the center stand will not work as the computer upon starting the bike senses that the resistance is not correct and locks out the CS. Is anyone having these issues?

Works as advertised for me. No issues at all.

post #26 of 28 Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 5:42 pm

Garage

Quote:
Wish I could help. I modded my 03 with an 05 center-stand.
None of the safety features are involved.
Wired directly to the battery, uses this button.

Ken

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's
post #27 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Consider the Vololight. It operates independently of the brake lights and flashes based on deceleration. Come way off the throttle or downshift to slow and it starts flashing. I just died this freely and it works great. Easy install also.

post #28 of 28 Old Nov 7th, 2016, 9:52 am

Garage

I installed the GA-100A with no problems, no issues. Took less than 10 minutes to disassemble the mirror in top box, solder in series the flasher, shrink tube and reassemble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in