8Likes
  • 2 Post By saddleman
  • 2 Post By Farmerian
  • 1 Post By RemonLT
  • 3 Post By Farmerian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2016, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

LT back firing

I have always used the match-rev technic while downshifting on all my motorcycles, that is to say pulling the clutch, downshifting and then reving the engine sligthly before letting the clutch back. I have been doing that on my LT for several years without any issue but recently the LT started backfiring sometime after I let the clutch back. The bike works great with no hesitation otherwise so I am wondering what could be the cause of this back firing.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2016, 5:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: LT back firing

You might have a crack somewhere in the exhaust system.
vernvernvern and beech like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 8:15 am

I have an 06 LT trike, that has developed a backfire after a total rebuild of the clutch and replacement of the brake assist module. Bike was apart down to the frame. Engine ran fine before the rebuild started
Bike backfires at idle but not at speed or when down shifting. When riding at about 4000rpm there is a loud howling that disappears when you increase or decrease rpms.
I suspected the exhaust sealing rings may have been pinched so I dropped the exhaust and put in 4 new rings. Still backfires.
Have taken out the fuel pump and all looks good although I have not taken a pressure reading.
I will be looking for a separated vacuum line today.
The bike ran fine before so I don't expect a valve issue. But the constant tearing apart the bike is driving me crazy.
Any Ideas of where to check?

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 9:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpac View Post
I have always used the match-rev technic while downshifting on all my motorcycles, that is to say pulling the clutch, downshifting and then reving the engine sligthly before letting the clutch back. I have been doing that on my LT for several years without any issue but recently the LT started backfiring sometime after I let the clutch back. The bike works great with no hesitation otherwise so I am wondering what could be the cause of this back firing.
Is it really a back fire (intake manifold back through throttle body) or is it an after fire in the exhaust system? They have different causes.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 10:23 pm

The backfire is through the manifold. I just spent the past 4 hours tearing it apart down to the manifold. The third manifold attachment ring is missing and the 4th has slipped off.
I suspect the manifold was dislodged when the clutch was put in. I have to get some new rings and will report back if this has fixed the problem.
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 1:39 am

Check that the camshafts are correctly timed to the crankshaft.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 5:33 pm

Garage

Today I gave my LT some maintenance. I sometimes have backfire in the exhaust, so I was extra sharp-eyed for possible causes. What I found was a small crack in the exhaust. It would not surprise me if this is the cause. After high speed driving I experience backfire. Normal driving is not a problem.

beech likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2016, 9:10 pm

After hours more dismantling, I was able to re-seat the manifold. There is almost no room to work on the throttle body. I had to pick up some more clamps since one was missing, but I got everything seated properly. There is so little room between the throttle body and the frame that when you have to work on the clutch, if the motor drops a slight bit the throttle body can be dislodged. (at least that was my problem)
The picture shows the back most part of the throttle body back in position.
I put the tank back on and gave it a try. The backfire has disappeared.
Since the backfire started after the major clutch overhaul I didn't believe that something had changed in the engine but I was incorrect. Simple fix but as I am finding major work is to get to the parts. I'm glad it was something easy and not a valve issue. Hopefully I can get some riding in this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throtle body.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	114313  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in