• 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

LT has TPS problem.

Well. After trying and testing what i could. I had to take tubby to the dealer as it still wouldn't idle. Well. Zak the Beemer tech tried to reset electronically. He had to strip her and mechanically adjust the tps. Didn't hurt to bad. It will be ready tommorow. They were closed today. Oh well. Looks like a GS911 is in the future at some point. I still don't think i did too bad. I've owned her for 4 1/2 years and the first time she has seen a dealer. I will be happy to go get her and get her home.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:13 pm

Re: LT has TPS problem.

Yeah, if you could make sure to put the cover sheets on those TPS reports, that'd be great.

Did you get the memo? Oh, and Peter, we're going to have to go ahead and work Sunday too, m'Kay? Great.

radar41 and Bomajoma like this.

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #3 of 32 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:15 pm

Seriously, glad you got the big girl going again!

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!

post #4 of 32 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Well. After trying and testing what i could. I had to take tubby to the dealer as it still wouldn't idle. Well. Zak the Beemer tech tried to reset electronically. He had to strip her and mechanically adjust the tps. Didn't hurt to bad. It will be ready tommorow. They were closed today. Oh well. Looks like a GS911 is in the future at some point. I still don't think i did too bad. I've owned her for 4 1/2 years and the first time she has seen a dealer. I will be happy to go get her and get her home.
I replaced my TPS a couple years ago. Bought the new red GS911 to do the deed. Adjusting that and the TVA took a couple times running through the procedure to fully get what and when things had to be done so I was confident that i had done it correctly. Good results though. Runs very well and idles fine so I guess I did something right.

I am only a little concerned that you said they are doing a mechanical adjustment and not a replacement of the TPS. If it worked fine for 4 1/2 years, what happened to cause this to be "out of adjustment". Is it possible that they are adjusting the TVA and not the TPS? That would make more sense for an idle issue.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Probably the TVA

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 32 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Probably the TVA
That would make sense. Hopefully you already have it back and it is back to her old self again.

Having a GS911 is really handy even on an LT where you don't have all the newer bells and whistles to track and reset like on the newer bikes. Got the red one as future insurance should I ever decide to part with my LT for something newer.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Having a GS911 is really handy even on an LT where you don't have all the newer bells and whistles to track and reset like on the newer bikes. Got the red one as future insurance should I ever decide to part with my LT for something newer.
Unless hell freezes over, a RED version of G911 will keep its values on used market for a long time as it can support everything from old Motronic used in 1994 Boxer models up until ALL of most recent 2016 BMW models.

Even if BMW goes into OBD2 inteface in 2017 (saw some notes about this in a magazine press release), a lot of the 1994-2016 models will still be on the road for a quite a while and will need servicing. On the used market, you can get at least 50% or more of your initial expense in buying a new GS911.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #8 of 32 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Even if BMW goes into OBD2 inteface in 2017 (saw some notes about this in a magazine press release), a lot of the 1994-2016 models will still be on the road for a quite a while and will need servicing. On the used market, you can get at least 50% or more of your initial expense in buying a new GS911.
OBD2 huh? That would be interesting. I have a good OBD2 tool already for my cages with some good analytical functions, not just a code reader. If they go that route, I wonder if it will be compatible at all with existing OBD2 equipment.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 32 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Quote:
OBD2 huh? That would be interesting. I have a good OBD2 tool already for my cages with some good analytical functions, not just a code reader. If they go that route, I wonder if it will be compatible at all with existing OBD2 equipment.
I just re-read the BMW press release for 2017 and I see that I was reading too quickly 1st time.
It appear that an EU4 requirement for 2017 is to have some kind of fault indicator on dash (called OBD in press release). Taugh I saw ODB2 somewhere in this, but it appear to be OBD - an important variation of letter sequence. ODB2 interface would have been fantastic as a diagnostic tool - sorry about my optimist ;-)

See 1st paragraph here:
BMW?s 2017 Model Updates Include New R1200GS Adventure Triple Black, R nineT Scrambler Launch Date and More? | BMW Motorcycle Magazine
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #10 of 32 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Quote:
I just re-read the BMW press release for 2017 and I see that I was reading too quickly 1st time.
It appear that an EU4 requirement for 2017 is to have some kind of fault indicator on dash (called OBD in press release). Taugh I saw ODB2 somewhere in this, but it appear to be OBD - an important variation of letter sequence. ODB2 interface would have been fantastic as a diagnostic tool - sorry about my optimist ;-)

See 1st paragraph here:
BMW?s 2017 Model Updates Include New R1200GS Adventure Triple Black, R nineT Scrambler Launch Date and More? | BMW Motorcycle Magazine
Yes, I agree that it would be a good diagnostic advance from proprietary technology. Blinky lights don't do all that much for me

Thanks for that article.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 7:59 am Thread Starter

TVA. It's running great now. We'll see what mileage is. Just got her back yesterday. He kept it for 3 days but stuck to quoted estimate. Took his time to do it right. I will rent a K1600 one weekend at somepoint. But I don't see the LT going anywhere for now.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Aug 5th, 2016 at 8:05 am.
post #12 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 8:50 am

Quote:
TVA. It's running great now. We'll see what mileage is. Just got her back yesterday. He kept it for 3 days but stuck to quoted estimate. Took his time to do it right. I will rent a K1600 one weekend at somepoint. But I don't see the LT going anywhere for now.
JAMES, a few questions... If I may:

(1) do you see this BMW part number on your Bill: 13 54 1 464 908 (approx $US$ 250)

(2) When / How did the bad IDLE symptoms evolved - was it sudden or it became worse progressively?

(3) can you remember if you had the engine RPM increase while using the reverser?
(this is done by the Idle-Actuator / TVA)

Thanks!

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #13 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 11:07 am

Quote:

(1) do you see this BMW part number on your Bill: 13 54 1 464 908 (approx $US$ 250)

(2) When / How did the bad IDLE symptoms evolved - was it sudden or it became worse progressively?

(3) can you remember if you had the engine RPM increase while using the reverser?

Thanks!
Just did some searching and you can get this part from Amazon for $130.98 US

There is also a listing for a

TROFOM Idle air Control Valve For VW Citroen Peugeot Fiat Lancia Renault Volvo Skoda Seat 1920F8 7701035321 9942142 3345231 0132008600

https://www.amazon.com/TROFOM-Contro...rds=0132008600

which is interesting at $24 US + shipping. For $24 I went ahead and ordered one just to see it. It isn't Bosch but it could be a good replacement or test part spare.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 11:29 am

Quote:
Just did some searching and you can get this part from Amazon for $130.98 US

There is also a listing for a

TROFOM Idle air Control Valve For VW Citroen Peugeot Fiat Lancia Renault Volvo Skoda Seat 1920F8 7701035321 9942142 3345231 0132008600

https://www.amazon.com/TROFOM-Contro...rds=0132008600

which is interesting at $24 US + shipping. For $24 I went ahead and ordered one just to see it. It isn't Bosch but it could be a good replacement or test part spare.
A few years ago, I did quite a bit of testing and research on the Throttle-bodies and external sensors for the K1200 "brick-engine".
You are correct in stating that it is normally sold by BOSCH to BMW and... of course some suppliers will sell cheaper the same BOSCH TVA for less. As always, you do pay because it is packaged in a nice BMW box (same for Honda or Ford or ...)

However, because the same TVA was also used on a few cars from Europe, it would appear that some 3rd party have designed an equivalent cheaper TVA (maybe made in China??). I have a few used BOSCH TVA unit here for testing, but I have never ordered these cheap "look-alike" on EBAY. I would be very curious to do so eventually after you receive yours - at $US 24 it does looks a bit "too-good-to-be-true".

I am wondering how these cheap ones will hold up over time - the original BOSCH unit has been quite reliable in general. We do have a few members occasionaly that reports a failure of the TVA, but given age and mileage of many of these K1200LT, overall I would say it is not a problem component.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #15 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 11:52 am

Quote:
A few years ago, I did quite a bit of testing and research on the Throttle-bodies and external sensors for the K1200 "brick-engine".
You are correct in stating that it is normally sold by BOSCH to BMW and... of course some suppliers will sell cheaper the same BOSCH TVA for less. As always, you do pay because it is packaged in a nice BMW box (same for Honda or Ford or ...)

However, because the same TVA was also used on a few cars from Europe, it would appear that some 3rd party have designed an equivalent cheaper TVA (maybe made in China??). I have a few used BOSCH TVA unit here for testing, but I have never ordered these cheap "look-alike" on EBAY. I would be very curious to do so eventually after you receive yours - at $US 24 it does looks a bit "too-good-to-be-true".

I am wondering how these cheap ones will hold up over time - the original BOSCH unit has been quite reliable in general. We do have a few members occasionaly that reports a failure of the TVA, but given age and mileage of many of these K1200LT, overall I would say it is not a problem component.
For $24, I can get it and tear it apart to see how it is made and not blink an eye. At the $130 for the amazon Bosch part, not so much on the disassembly. It will likely just become a spare part in my box for future issues i may have or even another LT rider close enough to take advantage of it. Next time I have the left side off, I will hook it up and see how it performs in the GS911 test. Easy to do and would only take a few minutes.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #16 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Quote:
For $24, I can get it and tear it apart to see how it is made and not blink an eye. At the $130 for the amazon Bosch part, not so much on the disassembly. It will likely just become a spare part in my box for future issues i may have or even another LT rider close enough to take advantage of it. Next time I have the left side off, I will hook it up and see how it performs in the GS911 test. Easy to do and would only take a few minutes.
A few years ago I had a good / cheap used TVA from a complete Throttle-bodies assy. This used TVA was used to inspect the internals and make test on various pins signal. It is basically a small stepper motor that drives a worm-gear. The worm gear will push the piston IN or OUT as needed to decrease / increase idle as needed.

See attached picture for a simple shot of the internals (not all parts removed in this shot).
See attached PDF document to do some testing on your new unit so we can compare notes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_TVA_opened (with Notes).JPG
Views:	178
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	113530  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_K1200_Throttle-Valve-Actuator TVA (version 1-2).pdf (352.2 KB, 230 views)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #17 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Quote:
A few years ago I had a good / cheap used TVA from a complete Throttle-bodies assy. This used TVA was used to inspect the internals and make test on various pins signal. It is basically a small stepper motor that drives a worm-gear. The worm gear will push the piston IN or OUT as needed to decrease / increase idle as needed.

See attached picture for a simple shot of the internals (not all parts removed in this shot).
See attached PDF document to do some testing on your new unit so we can compare notes...
Thanks. I believe I already have your PDF saved off in this version from other discussions on the TVA. It looks like the cheap version I ordered also has clips around it holding it together so I may be able to inspect the insides without destroying it to compare quality. There isn't a lot to it but then cheap knock offs will find some way to mess it up Still, it should only be a $24 part, not $250 for what is inside it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #18 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

They quoted me 2 hours labor and stuck to it even though he had 3 days and.spent mote than that.on it. I spoke to him myself. He said he loathes LTs. LOL. I've been working on them for over 10 years he said.. He.said.It's the 3rd one he's had this summer he had to manually adjust. He said. I just had to adjust it little at a time then test ride it. Then a teeny bit more. Pretty sure it was the TVA

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #19 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Quote:
They quoted me 2 hours labor and stuck to it even though he had 3 days and.spent mote than that.on it. I spoke to him myself. He said he loathes LTs. LOL. I've been working on them for over 10 years he said.. He.said.It's the 3rd one he's had this summer he had to manually adjust. He said. I just had to adjust it little at a time then test ride it. Then a teeny bit more. Pretty sure it was the TVA
As long as you are happy with the arrangement, that is all that matters. 2 Hr labor sounds really reasonable.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #20 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

1) I have to check the bill. 2) It started after replacing the battery. 3) The idle would.raise very little when reverse was actuated. Hope I answered all correct.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #21 of 32 Old Aug 5th, 2016, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Well riding her on the short ride home. It was.great not having to constantly be mindful of the throttle so I wouldn't stall. It now idles around 1100 rpm. So far I am happy. But haven't had a chance to ride other than that ride home. Yea. 2 hrs labor isn t a big deal. He said.if I have a issue just come back. Hopefully I don't.
Patric likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #22 of 32 Old Aug 6th, 2016, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks!
Ok. #1) The bill reads... Confirmed customer complaint. Bike does not idle well.
Tried TPS relearn,Did not work,will have to reset TPS.
Reset TPS sensor.bike now idles correctly. Test ride ,all good. Req= 2.50 Fill 2.50
MC labor. $77.00 hr. $192.50
#2 The bad Idle started after battery change. Never got any better or worse.
#3) Idle increasd very little. Enough to hear it.
Bomajoma likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #23 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 7:23 am

Quote:
Ok. #1) The bill reads... Confirmed customer complaint. Bike does not idle well.
Tried TPS relearn,Did not work,will have to reset TPS.
Reset TPS sensor.bike now idles correctly. Test ride ,all good. Req= 2.50 Fill 2.50
MC labor. $77.00 hr. $192.50
#2 The bad Idle started after battery change. Never got any better or worse.
#3) Idle increasd very little. Enough to hear it.
Thanks for detailled answers.

BUT... based on BMW shop-manual AND from my own experience doing many tests (iincluding many TPS changes) there is no such thing as doing "Reset TPS sensor" UNLESS he was meaning he actually moved and change the TPS setting value (most probable in this case IF engine behavior has changed).

From some Invoice description, I have to assume many BMW shop just do not want to bother customer with technical details so they use this "Reset TPS" as a general expression. Removing the battery OR the fuse for 15 minutes actually forces the system to re-learn and reset itself, although it may take a few rides to re-learn certain variations needed depending on bike state-of-tune and environment. I am assuming you had already done this before you brought the bike to him

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #24 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 9:41 am Thread Starter

I am assuming you had already done this before you brought the bike to him.... Yes Sir. Sure had. Matter of fact went thru 3 tanks of fuel trying to do so. He said he'd tried to also. But it didn't work. And states as such on the bill. I wonder if it was suppposed to be typed TVA? But speaking to him he called it a TPS. And told me personally that he adjusted just a little bit. Then test ran.Which sounds to me like the TVA.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #25 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 10:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for detailled answers.

BUT... based on BMW shop-manual AND from my own experience doing many tests (iincluding many TPS changes) there is no such thing as doing "Reset TPS sensor" UNLESS he was meaning he actually moved and change the TPS setting value (most probable in this case IF engine behavior has changed).

From some Invoice description, I have to assume many BMW shop just do not want to bother customer with technical details so they use this "Reset TPS" as a general expression. Removing the battery OR the fuse for 15 minutes actually forces the system to re-learn and reset itself, although it may take a few rides to re-learn certain variations needed depending on bike state-of-tune and environment. I am assuming you had already done this before you brought the bike to him
Unless he actually meant he moved or changed the TPS value.. He did say he moved it. Turned it a little each time. So that's what he did.So is this going to happen whenever I change my battery???

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Aug 7th, 2016 at 10:34 am. Reason: Add content
post #26 of 32 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Unless he actually meant he moved or changed the TPS value.. He did say he moved it. Turned it a little each time. So that's what he did.So is this going to happen whenever I change my battery???
We are not sure what he did ... not 100% yet. BUT, to answer your question: NO, normally there is NO need to adjust TPS when a Battery is removed or unplugged for ANY period of time.

The only minor issues is that after about 10 minutes, Motronic-EFI looses internal memory of so-called "learned values" and this may cause minor running behavior compare to before battery was removed. Because of age, mileage, wear and parts tolerances, each engine is a bit different and Motronic-EFI may have learned larger fluctuation to base factory fuel map settings on yours. Hence, on some bike the changes in behavior, until "re-learned" may be more apparent - it may take a few start-stop cycles and a few rides.

The so-called "TPS reset" procedure that is often posted here in forums (ignition ON, twist / open throttle 3 times fully open, then fully close, ignition OFF) is really NOT absolutely required although many believe it is. This procedure was more critical in older Motronic_EFI 2.2 version (R1100 boxer engine 1994-2000) and this became and "old-truth" that has been carried around forums for many years.

CAVEAT 1: all above so called "learning" from Motronic-EFI assumes the Oxygen-sensor is functioning properly. In case where the O2 sensor does not work properly, then there is either: (1) no learning possible -OR- (2) very slow to adapt to out-of-tolerances settings of each engine.

CAVEAT 2: another very mis-understood factor in TPS learning is the importance of a good positive throttle close when handgrip is released (mechanical "click" at throttle-rail should be heard). When / IF the throttle-cables free-play is incorrect -OR- the throttle cables friction is such that the throttle rail does not close positively, you will have a problem anytime you unplug battery for more than 10 minutes. At next engine start Motronic_EFI will be very confused if throttle is not fully closed (at idle stop) the 1st time you turn ignition ON (it is re-learning at this point). Hence, the so-called "TPS reset" procedure may help as it forces you positively move throttle fully closed.
Fun Bobby likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #27 of 32 Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 9:20 pm

Quote:

It took 3 weeks to arrive but I am not displeased with what I got. It looks as well constructed as the one you have pictured so unless the windings in the motor are really poor and the plastic gears are garbage, I would expect to get reasonable service out of this TVA and for a grand total of $28.71, I can keep one around and even give it away if someone local was having an issue and not feel any pain. The rubber looks bad in the 3rd photo but that is just how the flash caught it. It looks new and good in real life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02068.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	114593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02067.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	691.1 KB
ID:	114601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02066.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	114609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02065.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	669.7 KB
ID:	114617  
Patric likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #28 of 32 Old Aug 24th, 2016, 7:10 am

Quote:
It took 3 weeks to arrive but I am not displeased with what I got. It looks as well constructed as the one you have pictured so unless the windings in the motor are really poor and the plastic gears are garbage, I would expect to get reasonable service out of this TVA and for a grand total of $28.71, I can keep one around and even give it away if someone local was having an issue and not feel any pain. The rubber looks bad in the 3rd photo but that is just how the flash caught it. It looks new and good in real life.
Thanks for the update.
Of course at this price it is a "made in China" copy of the original design.

Have you done a few basic test based on my PDF file like:
(1) Max / Min length of piston from based when extended / retracted (2 pins)
(2) OhmMeter test on micro-switch at en of piston (2 other pins)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #29 of 32 Old Aug 24th, 2016, 8:00 am

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Not yet but I will and report back. I don't have my bike apart so temporarily installing it to see how it compares currently isn't an option.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #30 of 32 Old Aug 24th, 2016, 10:39 am

Quote:
Not yet but I will and report back. I don't have my bike apart so temporarily installing it to see how it compares currently isn't an option.
I think there is a mis-understanding here...
The goal AND my questions are related to compare of your new unit with data ALREADY furnished in my PDF document.

I NEVER planned that you would measure with your used unit from your K1200lT - there is no need for this as my data is already based on a sample of 3 used units AND 1 new one. I had to average the measurements, but in reality they were all very close.

Of course, once you have done the measurements, the NEXT test would be to ride with this new unit for a while AND check fault codes from GS911 after. I think this is what you are referring to in above post.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #31 of 32 Old Aug 24th, 2016, 11:02 am

Quote:
I think there is a mis-understanding here...
The goal AND my questions are related to compare of your new unit with data ALREADY furnished in my PDF document.

I NEVER planned that you would measure with your used unit from your K1200lT - there is no need for this as my data is already based on a sample of 3 used units AND 1 new one. I had to average the measurements, but in reality they were all very close.

Of course, once you have done the measurements, the NEXT test would be to ride with this new unit for a while AND check fault codes from GS911 after. I think this is what you are referring to in above post.

Correct. To make sure that this new inexpensive unit would function adequately, I would have to place it in service and make sure I didn't see any adverse idling effects. Not going to do that any time soon or measure my OEM one as you have stated, you already have that data. I took an old meter this morning and measured about 62 ohm's across pins 1 and 2 but I don't count this meter as reliable. Someone plugged it into a wall outlet set to measure current and smoked it and I repaired the burned traces inside so I use it to check batteries but I had it handy for a quick look. Death of a nice Fluke

I will pull my good meter and go through the paces to see how it compares with the data you have in your PDF.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #32 of 32 Old Aug 24th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Testing results. Operation is fairly quiet on a 9V battery.

Fully closed length measured with a depth gauge and then that with a digital caliper, was 35.82MM
Fully extended length was 47.02mm
Distance full travel 11.2mm
Resistance between pins 1 and 2 6.7 Ohms
Pins 3 and 4 are open until compression of the piston end and then show a short.

Unless you actually measured a far higher internal motor resistance than I did, siting anything higher than 2000 Ohms would be of concern, having such a low value of 6.7 ohms on my test unit may draw more current than the Bosch unless you have similar readings at rest.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in