don't kick me...time to winterize. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 8:32 am Thread Starter

don't kick me...time to winterize.

I know some of you may feel this is the best time of the year to ride, but with snow predicted for the NE Ohio area, I think it may just be time to hang the gloves and boots up for another season...I am a weather wuss.

This is my first winter with the LT. I have had many other bikes and vehicles that required winterization, but I am just wondering if the LT requires anything out of the ordinary?

Stablizer in the tank, trickle charge on the battery, bike on the centerstand and a piece of wood under the front tire, and throw the cover on were my thoughts...any that I may have missed?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 8:49 am

Ohio Winterize

Down here in Mansfield, I ride until the salt hits the pavement. I assume you have a garage for the LT. Fill it up with gas, add some SeaFoam gas treatment, put the trickle charger on the battery, put it on the centerstand, and BE SURE to put some mouse poison bars under the bike. The varmints love all the nooks and crannies behind the tupperware. Fire up the snowmobile and get ready for winter.
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Down here in Mansfield, I ride until the salt hits the pavement. I assume you have a garage for the LT. Fill it up with gas, add some SeaFoam gas treatment, put the trickle charger on the battery, put it on the centerstand, and BE SURE to put some mouse poison bars under the bike. The varmints love all the nooks and crannies behind the tupperware. Fire up the snowmobile and get ready for winter.
Cmon Cavs, Im in N. OH as well.. ride it until the salt hits as well. Theres PLENTY of days left.

F

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:50 am

Boy, not to brag, but I'm glad I live and ride in Southern Arizona. Sunday it reached 85 degrees, clear skies and no wind. Awesome riding weather and we can expect to ride 365 more or less here unless we see the occasional downpour during monsoon season.
post #5 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:52 am

Winterization, Texas style..

Step 1- add "liner" to summer jacket
Step 2- upgrade to winter jacket
Step 3- add "liner" to winter jacket

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:59 am

I live in the SNOWBELT of Cleveland!

But I can fully understand storing a bike for a few months during winter. Sometimes, it's just not that fun. But, we do get those warm, snowless days when riding is all too possible, and a nice escape from the winter blahs. Food for thought. In other words...don't winterize it too too much.

Since I have a heated garage, all that I do is run some StaBil in the fuel and keep the batteries on the Tenders. Also, put the bikes up on the centerstand and get the front wheel off the ground. Or, remember to rotate the front wheel every few days. It's easier just to elevate. I always change the oil before winter. And don't start the bike unless you plan on letting it run for quite awhile (at least 20 minutes).

My
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:02 am

Still anther few weeks of possible riding weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Cmon Cavs, Im in N. OH as well.. ride it until the salt hits as well. Theres PLENTY of days left.
F
Few more weeks left. Allthough it is snowing in Painesville this morning
What about the Browns !!! o wait theres always next year

Started the winterizing precoces though. Changed out the coolant on Sunday.Will change ou the oil in a few weeks and stabil the remaining gas in the tank.
Man that stuff taste funny. I also have one heck of a headache today and can't see out of my left eye Looked like blueberry koolaid.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:39 am

arizona temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocityguy
Boy, not to brag, but I'm glad I live and ride in Southern Arizona. Sunday it reached 85 degrees, clear skies and no wind. Awesome riding weather and we can expect to ride 365 more or less here unless we see the occasional downpour during monsoon season.
I live in SW. Pa and ride all winter. I rode through Az. this July and it was 107F. I'll take a couple months of cold riding vs. two of 100+.
post #9 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:52 am

winterize

I'm in the snowbelt as well. When people ask me about riding when it's 40F out, I've always replied "it's always possible to bundle up and ride. when it reaches 95F + 80% humidity in the midwest, riding is miserable, and there's no way to beat that sort of heat. I'd take brisk, chilly weather over scorching heat anyday."

I rode from Madison to Purdue (Indiana) this weekend for the Big Ten matchup in W Lafayette. Not a great weekend to ride, but I'm glad I did. Fri ride down was 55 + sunny = awesome ride. Sunday ride home wasn't so nice: 35 + drizzle. Had 3 pairs of pants on, 3 long sleeve Ts, a jacket, helmet, gloves, seat heat on high, grips on high, windshield up, and I could've stayed on the freeway for hours (bladder couldn't hold up). I kept thinking how great this bike was and how much I don't want to park it for winter.

Guy at the Interstate rest stop says, "Wow, are you a trooper!" I've heard that sort numerous times in the last week "You're either crazy to be riding or you don't own a car! HAHA" "You must be miserable out there today."

I usually shrug and say "I love riding too much to park it for the season" - now, if I can just replace my rear tire, I'll ride it until the snow hits...
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:59 am

Thumbs up I too ride all winter

The only thing that keeps me in the garage is a slick road surface!

The temp isn't a factor with the heated grips. I got'em so I'm going to use them.

28 degrees Sunday morning and I rode the bike to Church. 30 mile round trip. Wore my suit and tie under my leathers. LOL Yep, I'm a nut!

Love this bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winterize?................not for me.

I am going to renew all the fuids this winter..IE, antifreeze, brake fluid, clutch fluid. Bike is 3 years old! Might save me some grief later on.

my.02 cents!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
What about the Browns !!!
I braved the stadium yesterday. I should have stayed home and watched last year's LT video over and over again since the weather was just as stinky.
Cavs and Bucks.......
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

All of these replys made me think of the bag tag on my golf clubs...."I shoot in the 60's...anything colder, I stay home".

Yes...I am a fair weather rider. Admitting it is the first step..correct? I feel much better

For those of you brave enough to ride below 40...30...20...my hats off to you, but we won't be passing each other on the hwy.

Everyone enjoy (what is left) the season.

Mike
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:27 pm

1 Question, Some Comments

Why do we need to keep the front tire off of cement, if stored for a long time?

32 degrees on our ride Saturday to Cleveland for the dealer's open house. Gerbing gear makes that possible! I rode last winter whenever there wasn't snow or ice on the road, or a chance of precip. and below 32.

Stopped at my friend's house (has an '06 Gold Wing) yesterday during our ride. It was in the 40s. His comment: "You're nuts!" My unspoken reply: "You have a similarly-capable bike; get out there and ride it for heaven's sake!" He'll park it until April or May now.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:29 pm

Upstate NY here.

Last year, the only month I didn't ride was December (didn't crack 30 all month).

Rode the Vermont mountains a couple of times in January.

Best way I know to winterize a bike: Ride it.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #15 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:38 pm

Boy I hated the rock salt. I am originally from Chicago where they use salt, too.

Since moving to Colorado nine years ago, they use magnesium chloride (kind of a granulated sand product). More for traction because it really doesn't melt the snow and ice as effectively as salt. The sunshine usually does that job here in the Mile High City.

With 300 days of sunshine per year, I also ride year round. However, you can't really ride in the mountains due to snow and ice (and 20 degree drop in temps), or an unexpected snowfall. Just have to stay down at lower altitudes.

Each year, I still tend to go 2-4 weeks without riding either in January or early February. So I do fill up and put in some StaBil during that period.

I do envy you sun-belt riders for your winter riding.......but I don't envy you in those high summer temps and humidity!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #16 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:39 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbiker
I live in SW. Pa and ride all winter. I rode through Az. this July and it was 107F. I'll take a couple months of cold riding vs. two of 100+.
Try 30+days over 100 that will take it right outa you

Stevie Shreeve
post #17 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Few more weeks left. Allthough it is snowing in Painesville this morning
What about the Browns !!! o wait theres always next year

Started the winterizing precoces though. Changed out the coolant on Sunday.Will change ou the oil in a few weeks and stabil the remaining gas in the tank.
Man that stuff taste funny. I also have one heck of a headache today and can't see out of my left eye Looked like blueberry koolaid.
Thats funny....hope the Browns didnt ruin your weekend. Snowing on the west side too...but 50s by the weekend.

F
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

I gave up on the Browns years ago....as I think most Clevelanders did. This is my time of the year for Cleveland sports...Go Cavs!
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:10 pm

Let me know when the Cavs win 'the big one'. I won't hold my breath.
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 8:21 pm

Riding hot

In Southern Arizona we have short-term memory loss. I can't seem to remember my near misses with heat exhaustion! We try to emulate the desert creatures here in summer. We do our riding very early in the morning with the goal to be home before 10:00 am. Wait! Now it's coming back to me..... high noon could mean being fried alive!
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:33 am

In the summer all you folks from AZ come up to our cool NM mountains. In the "cold" winter months I like to ride down your way. My only real winterizing is zip up the vents and wear a vest under the jacket. Haven't ever had the lining in it yet!

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #22 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:18 am

Thumbs up But When is Winter so I can put it on my Calander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Winterization, Texas style..

Step 1- add "liner" to summer jacket
Step 2- upgrade to winter jacket
Step 3- add "liner" to winter jacket
Let me know, for I might sleep throught it.!
post #23 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:59 am

250 Miles

Rode up the central coast today. Got past Santa Barbara and the temp was mid 70s and went inland to encounter temps in the 90s. Came back out to the coast at a place called Jalama Beach. My buddy is out from Norfolk just could not believe his eyes. Could not have been a better day to take a right coaster for a ride just a week before Thanksgiving... And think the wife almost had me convinced to cash in my Califonia gold and buy a farm in Mount Olive North Carolina....I think I'm staying put....Traffic and smog is a pain in the ass at times butt it beats not riding at all.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #24 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbiker
Exactly
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in