So, How Is The LT World Doing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:16 am Thread Starter

So, How Is The LT World Doing?

You guys might not remember me, I was trying to decide on a 2005 Goldwing or an LT. I decided on the Goldwing. It was a very hard decision. The main reason was the Dealer network. Alot of talk was going on at the time about the Final Drives going out. I was not that familier with BMW bikes so that kinda bothered me. There were some items that I wish the Honda had and vice versa. I have 58k miles on my 05 Wing so far. Yes, I ride alot. Which was why the small dealer network bothered me.

I have been in my local BMW store alot lately getting some Gerbing stuff. I might be in the market for a BMW Dual Sport some time soon. I was looking at the new LT's and they sure are pretty. How have they been holding up? Any problems with the 05 models? My Honda has been pretty darn reliable. Little things like bulbs and clips have gone south but nothing major.

Thanks guys for your time. Please ride safe out there. If there is anybody on this board from the Atlanta area that would like to ride with some GoldWing guys let me know. We ride all diffferent ways, fast, slow, long distance and such. We all have done suspension upgrades to our bikes. We do surprise alot of people for sure.

Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo
You guys might not remember me, I was trying to decide on a 2005 Goldwing or an LT. I decided on the Goldwing. It was a very hard decision. The main reason was the Dealer network. Alot of talk was going on at the time about the Final Drives going out. I was not that familier with BMW bikes so that kinda bothered me. There were some items that I wish the Honda had and vice versa. I have 58k miles on my 05 Wing so far. Yes, I ride alot. Which was why the small dealer network bothered me.

I have been in my local BMW store alot lately getting some Gerbing stuff. I might be in the market for a BMW Dual Sport some time soon. I was looking at the new LT's and they sure are pretty. How have they been holding up? Any problems with the 05 models? My Honda has been pretty darn reliable. Little things like bulbs and clips have gone south but nothing major.

Thanks guys for your time. Please ride safe out there. If there is anybody on this board from the Atlanta area that would like to ride with some GoldWing guys let me know. We ride all diffferent ways, fast, slow, long distance and such. We all have done suspension upgrades to our bikes. We do surprise alot of people for sure.

Later

Hey, Toyo!

You da same toyo as on the gl1800riders site?

As far as the LT goes, you won't find a better touring bike. Just different. I have always admired Gold Wings and you made a good choice.

An even better choice is this board. Really cool site with great folks! Soooo, don't be a stranger!!
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 2:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
Hey, Toyo!

You da same toyo as on the gl1800riders site?

As far as the LT goes, you won't find a better touring bike. Just different. I have always admired Gold Wings and you made a good choice.

An even better choice is this board. Really cool site with great folks! Soooo, don't be a stranger!!
Hey Toyo! I'd ask the same question above as Hawg did.
I went back and forth myself between a GW and a K12LT. It was agony! A plus here, a minus there. This way and that! I'm so happy with the choice I finally made I about burst from enthusiasm each time I take a ride on my '04 LT. Good and bad comes with any/every bike and I'll accept that. This one just speaks to me at 110 decibles, loud and clear. There's nothing wrong with the GW so enjoy it. BTW, just for an FYI; Drive the GW to a BMW dealer and ask for an afternoon test drive on the LT. Do it just for the fun of it! dwillie.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Toyo,
To answer your question, my '05 has 27k on the meter and the only problem I've had was with the plastic spring caps breaking. I'm now using $6.95 metal caps from Powerlet and the problem should be forever gone.
My electric/hydraulic center stand has worked perfectly and I use mine at least twice per day, almost every day. I have not added any oil between 6k changes.
I love this bike!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:16 pm

My 05' has about 19K on it and the only problem has been the Voice II com system, but BMW is giving me my money back for it (actually more than i paid for it) and I will get a Behr or Autocom. You should wait for the new GS800 that should be here next year for your Dual sport choice, it should be very nice.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 5:51 am

44,000 on my second 05. Flawless!!! 21,000 on my first 05 until a deer ended the LT's life.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:41 pm

20K on my 05 LT. Main seal went out at 1500 Miles, fixed under warranty but out of commision for a week. Final drive rear seal went bad at 14K. Fixed under warranty. Other than that, it's been golden. 6K trip from California to Ohio and back went smooth as butter. What a great bike!

"I don't like to talk about the fire that much"....

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 8:44 am

Thumbs up K1200lt

I had a 2001 Lt which I purchased in 2003 with 2900 miles on it. I put 25,000 plus on it with no problems at all. I sold it in 2005 and the new owner has 37,000 miles with no problems. I purchased a 2005 in March of 2005, which it has 36,000 miles on it. When it was new it did have a fork seal leaking, which was replaced under warranty. Also the seal on the output shaft of the transmission started seeping oil, which was replaced under warranty. These were the only problems I have had. I have had a number of motorcycles but never a Goldwing so I can not compare it to a Goldwing. I just like the looks much better but that is my opinion.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in