BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Clymer Manual for LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/155834-clymer-manual-lt.html)

BeemerJoe Jul 29th, 2016 6:04 pm

Clymer Manual for LT

I've followed all the post, and found a downloadable repair manual for the LT, but it appears that all of the files DO NOT cover the newer LT's. I know this because none cover the dual headlight assemblies of the 06 on up. What I'd like to know, is those of you who own the Clymer manual. Can you tell me if it covers the newer LT's properly. I'd really like a good manual as I do most all maintenance on my own.

mwnahas Jul 29th, 2016 6:20 pm

Re: Clymer Manual for LT

https://www.clymer.com/bmw-k1200rs-k...98-2010-m501-3

I have an older manual does not cover 2005

beech Jul 30th, 2016 12:41 am

No paper manual for your bike. I work from the factory DVD and recommend it. If you're handy, there is enough info there and on the web to help you.

JNW003 Jul 30th, 2016 5:56 am

BeemerJoe: My Clymer Manual (No. M501-3) covers the K1200RS (1998-2005), K1200GT (2003-2005), & K1200LT (1999-2009). Although the manual's rear cover states the manual covers K1200LTs from 1999-2010, I don't know why it lists 2010, unless somewhere outside of the US, BMW sold an LT listed as a 2010 model year.

Voyager Jul 30th, 2016 10:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by beech (Post 1605794)
No paper manual for your bike. I work from the factory DVD and recommend it. If you're handy, there is enough info there and on the web to help you.

I have both factory DVD and Clymer manual, but unfortunately I have an older edition (I think -1 or -2) which I bought in 2007, but which covers only bikes up to 2005. I debated buying the -3, but figured it wasn't worth the money.

I use both routinely. I like the BMW CD for its checklist format and I can print out the steps needed for a given repair in sequence and check them off as I go. This worked great for my recent clutch repair and literally nothing was missed during assembly. Everything worked as it should and I had to do zero troubleshooting.

The Clymer manual is good for giving more detailed instructions in some areas, for giving a little more of the "theory of operation" and in providing ideas for making suitable facsimiles for many of the factory special tools. The downside is that the manual jumps around a lot when doing a large job like the clutch. You work a little in one chapter, then jump to the next, etc. This is tedious and doesn't allow an easy checklist of operations.

So, I really like having both on hand as each has its strengths.

BeemerJoe Jul 30th, 2016 4:25 pm

Looks like i'll be ordering the DVD first then the climer. Thanks all.

BeemerJoe Jul 30th, 2016 4:30 pm

Well isn't this a B. Just looked up the Maintenance cd and it's for PC only. I'm all MAC here.. that's a bummer.. Guess i'll have to stick with the Clymer.

Voyager Jul 30th, 2016 5:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeemerJoe (Post 1606082)
Well isn't this a B. Just looked up the Maintenance cd and it's for PC only. I'm all MAC here.. that's a bummer.. Guess i'll have to stick with the Clymer.

Yes, they are still some brain dead apps like that. That is why I run Parallels on my iMac and run Windows 10 in the virtual machine. Works great.

Did you also get sticker shock at the CD price?

BeemerJoe Jul 30th, 2016 8:30 pm

yes i did.. and i'm NOT ordering it. I also run bootcamp, but not paying that kind of price for a 25 cent cd

Voyager Jul 30th, 2016 8:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeemerJoe (Post 1606218)
yes i did.. and i'm NOT ordering it. I also run bootcamp, but not paying that kind of price for a 25 cent cd

I use Bootcamp on my first iMac that my kids use. Big pain. Parallels is far better.

I think the CD was over $100 back in 2007 when I bought my LT. Fortunately, I was able to negotiate that as part of my purchase after I had negotiated as far as I could on price. I get most of my service manuals that way. Most dealers will throw that in to make the sale. The markup is often 100% so the customer saves a lot, but the cost to the dealer is marginal.

BeemerJoe Jul 30th, 2016 9:33 pm

And people wonder why so many people pirate software and cd's. Such a rip off. Wish i knew someone local that had the cd.. I'd copy it.. Not right, but neither is "stealing" from the customers by pricing things like that so high. In my 35 years as a harley rider, we always called dealers "stealers". and there is a reason for that.

BeemerJoe Jul 30th, 2016 9:38 pm

And people wonder why so many people pirate software and cd's. Such a rip off. Wish i knew someone local that had the cd.. I'd copy it.. Not right, but neither is "stealing" from the customers by pricing things like that so high. In my 35 years as a harley rider, we always called dealers "stealers". and there is a reason for that.