Looking to buy a Used K1200 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Post Looking to buy a Used K1200 LT

Hello Group ,
I am a Kawasaki Concours (2000 / 41000mi) owner and am getting ready to purchase a Used K1200 LT. It is a gorgeous bike with a lot of the bells and whistles I like. The problem is I am only knowledgable on kawasakis. I also owned a Kawasaki Drifter and logged 17000mi on her before the departure. I do a lot of my own maintenance. Is there any thing I should look for when buying a used K1200 LT? I have looked some that have 18000 to 49000 mi on them and priced from 8900 to 10300. One guy is selling his for 9750 its a 2002 Blue and has 22k mi on it. I guess I feel like I am missing something as i enter into the realm of BMW Touring. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time..
Darryl Daggs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 9:14 pm

Welcome,

I know how you feel. I was a Honda rider before I bought my LT last year. If I were you, I would buy one that is an '03 model or later. That model year is when the rear drive bearing was changed and there seems to be alot fewer of them with problems. I would also look for one that has an extended warranty already if possible. The lower mileage models are better, but the engines last forever so it isn't the only consideration. Many of the used models available have plenty of accessories already installed. If you can get one with supplemental lighting, gps, and other options that you can use, I would choose it if it seems in good shape. Those other items will cost you a fortune if you add them later.

I am sure many more people will chime in, but I would have it checked out by a BMW dealer or competent BMW service person just to make sure all is well. Also, service records on the bike will insure that maintenance has been performed and also what has been repaired or replaced in the past.

Hope this helps some.

Good Luck

Bob Glassman
K1200LT '03 - Impala Brown - 21K
Littleton, CO
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:34 am

As you see, the prices and miles run all over the place. Keep looking, look for the "normal" kinds of things, excessive play, fluid levels, etc. I bought an 03 with 6300 miles for $9745, incl. bag liners, autocomm and 2 helmets, brake flasher thing. I think that was all the extras mine came with.

A BMW dealer can run the VIN I think and see if it has been in for warranty and service, which may tell you some of it's history.

Look at the windshield and see if it's foggy or beginning to delaminate, which may appear like bug splats, but the thin film is actually scratching off. At least that is how mine looked. It would be perfectly clear in warm weather, but cold mornings had it so foggy you couldn't see thru it. The replacement BMW shield is clear all the time and I am being careful with cleaning it.

So far, mine has been trouble free, but others here can tell you more of the mechaincal stuff to check.

Happy hunting. I'm only a couple hours away in Mount Airy, NC. Do you happen to know Harry Esenwine from over there? He's an old forum buddy of mine. Manages the BRistol Mall and rides a black 'wing.
Rando

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:38 am

I also am looking to buy a KLT. I am curious though about how the GPS is to use. Is it worth it? Is it User Friendly? Going to test drive one tomorrow evening. Who knows, I maybecome a new owner!!
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:00 am

Gps

I have an 03, no aftermarket GPS, but I want to throw 2 cents in on the subject...

My GPS is a state road map in the saddlebag. I mean, I usually go for rides where I know the area (actually, I know pretty much all of Wisc). Stick to county, state, and US higways/interstates and you'll never get lost. In the rare occasion where I get lost, I'm usually trying to, and I just enjoy the scenery and see where I end up. In the WORST CASE, I just backtrack the way I got lost! Who cares if I'm not a dot on a screen - isn't that part of the enjoyment of riding? 90% of my riding doesn't have a destination.

For $600+, I'd rather get a trailer, XM, intercom, radar detector, or iPod and enjoy getting lost rather than having a gizmo to find my way home for me.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:13 am

Smile gps?

Ryan, I felt just like you until the first time I got lost and was on a back road in Bumfuzz Egypt! I now have a GPS and to tell the truth it is a life saver! Most trips I take I don't even worry about mounting it but when I am on a long trip in unchartered waters...man this thing is thing is GREAT!! "Take me Home Scotty" Ron Ray
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:47 am

Thumbs up bet you buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsp2112
I also am looking to buy a KLT. I am curious though about how the GPS is to use. Is it worth it? Is it User Friendly? Going to test drive one tomorrow evening. Who knows, I maybecome a new owner!!

Can't help you on the GPS question as I don't have one. A map folded on the tank works for me.

However, I'm betting that if you ride an LT, you'll be an owner in short order. You won't believe how different the LT is from other cycles.

I was concerned about it being a heavy bike, but I got over that in about the first 6 feet of my first ride. YeeHaa!

Happy hunting........you'll know when you find YOURS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 1:00 am

Send it to a dealer before making an offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
Hello Group ,
I am a Kawasaki Concours (2000 / 41000mi) owner and am getting ready to purchase a Used K1200 LT. It is a gorgeous bike with a lot of the bells and whistles I like. The problem is I am only knowledgable on kawasakis. I also owned a Kawasaki Drifter and logged 17000mi on her before the departure. I do a lot of my own maintenance. Is there any thing I should look for when buying a used K1200 LT? I have looked some that have 18000 to 49000 mi on them and priced from 8900 to 10300. One guy is selling his for 9750 its a 2002 Blue and has 22k mi on it. I guess I feel like I am missing something as i enter into the realm of BMW Touring. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time..
Darryl Daggs
I was new to BMW last fall. I sent the LT to the dealer on the remote end (1200 miles from home), paying for a pre-purchase inspection. They found some service had not been done, but the bike was otherwise in great shape. I would have done this myself if were closer, but it was also comfortable putting a third party in the middle.

The GPS Street Pilot III (older model) is great on long trips. It's nice to have an ETA and be able to find gas stations and eateries before you get there! Also, it provides accurate speed and odometer info, unlike the stock LT speedometer/odometer.

Happy hunting.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 3:40 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
One guy is selling his for 9750 its a 2002 Blue and has 22k mi on it.
That seems like a good price if the bike was taken care of. I had an '02 Connie for about a year, but really missed the '99 LT that I'd had before. So I bought an '02 LT and have put 90K miles on it. I can actually push the LT harder and ride it farther than the Connie, and in much greater comfort.

Don't worry too much about rear drives, windshields, or anything else. After 7 years, we pretty much know all of the LT's quirks. Just about any question that may come up can be answered with a quick post here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 3:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
My GPS is one of the best additions to my LT. It's not only a map, but a phone book as well. You can instantly find gas stations, restaurants, hotels, or just about anything else you may need while on the road. And it's much easier than squinting at a tank bag map, or trying to refold one at speed.

True, it's of less use if you only ride local roads that you already know. But I've also found it great when just wandering through a new area at random, because at any point I can find gas, or food, or just tell it to take me straight home. That means I can now wander through any state at random, and always know where I am, where to find what I need, and how long it will take to get there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 6:24 am

In reference to the GPS question, all you have to do is to set the GPS on the shortest route home (not the quickest route)and it will allow you to see roads that you will miss even in familiar territory. I ride by myself a lot so it adds a bit of confidence. If possible on your quest for a used bike, I would at least look at the 2005 model because of the power center stand and the lower center of gravity, trust me it does make a big difference. I went from a 2001 LT to an 05. Good Luck in your hunting.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Hello Group ,
Darryl Daggs
Darryl, I have a 2002 LT that I am getting ready to put on the market in the near future. If it goes out next month I'd prolly ask about $9,500 for it. As I said it is an 02, pretty much stock (clean) with BMW Navigator on BMR mount, wired now for Sirius, HID low beam, Comm system, CB, FRS and PIAA's in the fairing. It has 36k miles, garage kept and all service by CCBMW in N.J. It has no damage or maint problems since new. It did have the rear drive replaced by BMW, but not due to any failure. My dealer is located close to BMWNA and does work for them. During the time of rear drive failures, BMW wanted to examine some drives with less than 20k miles and only routine fluid changes. I offered mine as did several other customers when asked, so the warranty on the drive is actually extended in my case. The finish is flawless, like new, as it was washed and waxed on a regular basis. I also have a transferable extended warranty.

All I can say is everyone has an idea of what their LT is worth. I've based mine on book value, accessories, condition and service history. Hope this helps.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold

Last edited by johnk12lt; Oct 24th, 2006 at 7:49 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in