4Likes
  • 1 Post By mondrage
  • 1 Post By budzee
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By haawg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Engine Issue

To start with, I'm no mechanic and my wife will only let me use a hammer around the house. That said, I have a 2000 K1200LT. The other day I gassed up the bike at a Chevron (premium gas), the bike worked fine for about 45 min. The bike then started hesitating when accelerating, like someone turned the choke on. I had to keep the engine revved up to 2000 rpm at stop lights (being afraid it would die). I limped the bike home. I turned the bike off and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I started it up and took a short drive around the neighborhood. For a few minutes the bike ran like the choke was stuck on, then the bike started running like normal. The next day I took the bike out, and it seemed to be running OK. I came up to a stop light and it died. I popped the clutch and it started right up. I stopped at several other stop lights, and the bike idled fine.
As I said, I'm no mechanic, now I'm leery about taking the bike out too far away from home. Any ideas what may be going on ? This is the first time I've had this type of issue.
Thanks again.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Re: Engine Issue

Could be that the hoses in the tank are leaking. Or a fuel pump issue.
That's where I'd start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBevans likes this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 1:39 pm

Mondrage has the right idea. Sudden poor performance could be fuel related as in the internal rubber lines have sprung a leak or if it i actually missing, possibly the plug wires may be old and arcing to ground causing a miss.

It is best to check with less than a full tank of gas as that will expose the fuel lines allowing a better visual diagnosis of squirting fuel. If one of the rubber lines inside the tank has ruptured, you can normally see this through the fill hole. There is normally some slight motion of the fuel when the ignition is turned on as it primes and circulates through the regulator. The excess is returned to the tank at the bottom but a split hose will cause a more robust swirling at the top. Lower fuel than full will allow you to see this better.

The LT has no diagnostic capability for a properly running fuel pump so only hooking up an external gauge can see if it is maintaining the normal ~50 PSI.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 1:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haawg View Post
To start with, I'm no mechanic and my wife will only let me use a hammer around the house. That said, I have a 2000 K1200LT. The other day I gassed up the bike at a Chevron (premium gas), the bike worked fine for about 45 min. The bike then started hesitating when accelerating, like someone turned the choke on. I had to keep the engine revved up to 2000 rpm at stop lights (being afraid it would die). I limped the bike home. I turned the bike off and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I started it up and took a short drive around the neighborhood. For a few minutes the bike ran like the choke was stuck on, then the bike started running like normal.
The next day I took the bike out, and it seemed to be running OK. I came up to a stop light and it died. I popped the clutch and it started right up. I stopped at several other stop lights, and the bike idled fine.
As I said, I'm no mechanic, now I'm leery about taking the bike out too far away from home. Any ideas what may be going on ? This is the first time I've had this type of issue.
Thanks again.....
If you have had the bike a long time and ridden multiple tanks of gas with no issue, then suspecting the last fill-up is not unreasonable. A few questions:
1. Have you bought fuel at this chevron station before?
2. Does the fuel contain ethanol? If not, I would add a can of "dry gas" to your tank in case you got some water with your fill-up.
3. Is the bike emitting black smoke? A rich condition will cause this if bad enough.
4. If you remove your gas cap and turn the key on, do you see swirling of the gas when the pump is doing its priming routine?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by haawg View Post
To start with, I'm no mechanic and my wife will only let me use a hammer around the house. That said, I have a 2000 K1200LT. The other day I gassed up the bike at a Chevron (premium gas), the bike worked fine for about 45 min. The bike then started hesitating when accelerating, like someone turned the choke on. I had to keep the engine revved up to 2000 rpm at stop lights (being afraid it would die). I limped the bike home. I turned the bike off and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I started it up and took a short drive around the neighborhood. For a few minutes the bike ran like the choke was stuck on, then the bike started running like normal. The next day I took the bike out, and it seemed to be running OK. I came up to a stop light and it died. I popped the clutch and it started right up. I stopped at several other stop lights, and the bike idled fine.
Thanks again.....
Another thing to check is temperature. If it is above 80-85F you may be experiencing the hesitation caused by the Motronic map. You can read about that here: BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ: Performance Improvements

I'm less inclined to think this is the problem since you didn't mention having this issue before. I'd lean toward a ruptured fuel line in the tank as the culprit. If it's the fuel line it's a fairly easy fix. Your choice on buying the stock lines for ~$80, order them from BBY (cheaper and may last longer) or buy the correct hose and a uni-coil from an autoparts store.
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 5:09 pm

I would also like to add: check the battery connections. I had the same issues, spent tons of money, only to find out one of the battery connections was loose.
zamfield likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 5:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
Another thing to check is temperature. If it is above 80-85F you may be experiencing the hesitation caused by the Motronic map. You can read about that here: BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ: Performance Improvements

I'm less inclined to think this is the problem since you didn't mention having this issue before. I'd lean toward a ruptured fuel line in the tank as the culprit. If it's the fuel line it's a fairly easy fix. Your choice on buying the stock lines for ~$80, order them from BBY (cheaper and may last longer) or buy the correct hose and a uni-coil from an autoparts store.
I don't think haawg can fix it with his hammer...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #8 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Loosen the gas cap and see how it runs. May have a clogged charcoal canister preventing the tank from venting.
beech likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 9:31 pm

This bike has a paper fuel filter. If you did get some water, it could have caused what is going on and cleared as the filter finally started passing fuel better, water clogs paper filters really well. If you have not changed that filter in the past 30K miles, now is the time to do it. Along with the rubber hoses inside the tank if they are original. Many of the suggestions above are related but kind of more complicated. I try the simplest things first. Changing the filter is not really simple but basic. I like the part about the charcoal vapor recover device. Over filling and flushing fuel into it causes what happened to you also. I recommend they be removed, often called a canisterectomy.
Clymer sells a service manual for your bike, a good source of information on how to do stuff.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 10:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Like John said, when it starts running poorly just loosen the fuel cap. If that resolves it, you have a clogged charcoal canister likely from over-filling it or an insect nest in the canister vent tube under the right side case. If it's from over-filling it should resolve itself. When fueling only fill to the hole at the bottom of the threads.

post #11 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Go to the. Bmw motorrad club of northern Illinois. Go to menu. Then service videos. Click on K bikes. There you will find all the diy videos. Just watch them over and over. They are a huge help. Give you confidence to do repairs yourself.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2016, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advise. I looked into the fuel tank and turned the key on, there was just a small amount of gas surface disturbance that lasted about 2 seconds, that was it. The bike had a canisterectomy by the prior owner.
I thought about the temp issue that Storm1 mentioned. It's been very hot here. I checked the Illinois videos and removed the air box sensor. I didn't even need to use my hammer. I took the bike out around the neighborhood, and it ran fine. It was 100 degrees during the ride. I'll take it on a longer ride within the next few days. I have my fingers crossed.....
Again thanks for all the help.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 30th, 2016, 11:01 am

the chances of it being a ruptured fuel hose are pretty slim - as it would rupture on the pressure side and the motor would not run.
even a slight pin hole the fuel will dump against the fuel pressure reg. also a leak will never heal itself enuff to run
had a lot of bad/contaminated fuel- 8 of us all filled at the same station but different pumps and 1 of the fellows got bad fuel, towed it home and drained the tank and been running ever since

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in