Life span of plastic quick disconnect - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By DanDiver
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 3 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By JNW003
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 8:19 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jwacree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hiawassee, GA, USA
Posts: 284
Garage
Life span of plastic quick disconnect

I just had a QD fail. I made it home with a wet foot. Now I'm wondering, has anyone gathered enough data about these things to say how long they will last? Is it time, or miles, or key cycles, some other factor?
I have had two fail. first was a 2005 K1200S with 15,000 miles. Just after the fuel pump was replaced under the recall. I know, why didn't the shop change the QD while they were there!?
Second one was a 2001 K1200LT, also with 15,000 miles.
Both of them happened this summer!
So, is it 10 years you are due, or is it 15,000 miles?

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
jwacree is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 9:09 am
Senior Member
 
St0rm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 183
Garage
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree View Post
I just had a QD fail. I made it home with a wet foot. Now I'm wondering, has anyone gathered enough data about these things to say how long they will last? Is it time, or miles, or key cycles, some other factor?
I have had two fail. first was a 2005 K1200S with 15,000 miles. Just after the fuel pump was replaced under the recall. I know, why didn't the shop change the QD while they were there!?
Second one was a 2001 K1200LT, also with 15,000 miles.
Both of them happened this summer!
So, is it 10 years you are due, or is it 15,000 miles?
I'm no expert but I'd say the answer is "it depends". It depends on what the plastic was made of, how well it was made, what it has been exposed to (ethanol, solvents, sunlight, vibration, shock, etc.), how many times it's been used and so on. There seems to be a history of the stock ones breaking which is why most recommend replacing with an aftermarket set. I personally prefer metal QD so it can withstand most abuse sent it's way. The most I have to worry about is replacing an o-ring which can be found easily.
St0rm1 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 10:06 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,172
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
I'm no expert but I'd say the answer is "it depends". It depends on what the plastic was made of, how well it was made, what it has been exposed to (ethanol, solvents, sunlight, vibration, shock, etc.), how many times it's been used and so on. There seems to be a history of the stock ones breaking which is why most recommend replacing with an aftermarket set. I personally prefer metal QD so it can withstand most abuse sent it's way. The most I have to worry about is replacing an o-ring which can be found easily.
This is the right answer.

When I bought my 2007 new, my plastic QDs lasted only until:
1. I learned they were plastic and trouble prone thanks to this forum.
2. I could get the Jiffy-Tites from RPW
3. I got the fuel level near empty and made time to remove the fairing panel and replace them.

Plastic parts in a high stress and hazardous application is just dumb.

Replace them soon with metal parts. If you don't mind replacing o-rings periodically, buy the metal version of the stock parts (push tab release like BBY sells). If you want top of line maintenance free parts, spend a couple bucks more and buy the jiffy-tite brand from RPW with the slide collar release like that used on hydraulic lines that carry thousands of psi of pressure.

Just don't keep trying to decide how long plastic parts should last...
And don't do a 50% job and just buy the metal male part as BMW recommends.
sailor, JNW003 and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 1:21 pm
Senior Member
 
K100Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Railton, Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 876
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Agreed, it would appear to be time related once they are exposed to the fuel. Only other suggestion - have the metal replacements already on hand if you don't want to wait for them to arrive because my experience is the plastic ones will break the first time you attempt to disconnect them.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
K100Dennis is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 2:21 pm
Senior Member
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,842
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

They can fail anytime. Just replace them with metal and be done with it. Not worth the worry. It's an easy replacement. Just like the screws holding on the oil filter cap on the LT. A very weak point that is easy to fix.
sailor likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Senior Member
 
St0rm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 183
Garage
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree View Post
I just had a QD fail. I made it home with a wet foot. Now I'm wondering, has anyone gathered enough data about these things to say how long they will last? Is it time, or miles, or key cycles, some other factor?
I have had two fail. first was a 2005 K1200S with 15,000 miles. Just after the fuel pump was replaced under the recall. I know, why didn't the shop change the QD while they were there!?
Second one was a 2001 K1200LT, also with 15,000 miles.
Both of them happened this summer!
So, is it 10 years you are due, or is it 15,000 miles?
I'm sure you've also read these two tips as well:

Install the new QD opposite each other on the two lines. In other words, put one male and one female on the fuel pump side that way you never wonder which is the supply side and which is the return.

If you don't want to spend the money on quality QD you can just put a tube in the hose with two clamps. This means any fuel in the tank or system will leak out once the hose is pulled apart but that's not going to be very often.
St0rm1 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 7:48 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 1,893
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Heat is what causes them to fail. How long you ride and in what kind of weather. Mine never failed on my 02 with 40k miles but I replaced them just because. I know a gut that had an 03 and his failed right around 50k
Morley is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old Jul 27th, 2016, 8:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,300
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

My cut is assembly technique is what takes them out. The locking groove is very thin and if you are not careful each and every time you connect or disconnect in a straight line you run the risk of a side load that weakens the groove. Given the short hoses that is almost impossible to accomplish. Thus move to the metal male part and you will never have a problem until you nick an o-ring.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 1:46 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jwacree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hiawassee, GA, USA
Posts: 284
Garage
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

I contacted CPC, hoping they would have some test data, but no. Here is my question, their reply and my reply to their reply.

and my reply to their reply

So, as the manufacturer of these quick couples, you have not done any testing to determent when they should be replaced. My experience is that these parts don't show any external signs that they are about to fail. I have replaced 3 of them. one was only weeping, one was spraying gas and one broke completely off. all were being ridden at the time they failed. If no testing has been done, we have to rely on the in use failure rate, and hope no one gets burned, literately. I'm going to guess I should contact BMW to see if they have any data on in use failure rate.
Thank you
Johnny


Their reply
The answer to your question really depends on a number of things, climate, storage conditions, maintenance, if you have an older model it probably is time to change them out. We suggest contacting a company called Fast by Ferracci, they are the best source for aftermarket CPC parts for your bike.

My question
Question about the plastic fuel line quick disconnects found on BMW motorcycles.

What is the service life of these fittings.

Does any one here have any data on in use failure rate? I have read every thing from replace at the first service, to,,, well I haven't read any thing about a upper limit. Even CPC used the term " older model" How old is older?

I can say that 15 years is to long, 10 years probably to long. So, is 5 years 15,000 miles about right? Does mileage even come into the mix?

Mechanic improper handling, maybe, you can break almost any thing. My 01 K12LT has had the tank off and on many times, my 05 K12S, as far as I know, only had the tank off once, for the fuel pump recall.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
jwacree is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 2:08 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,016
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Since they are a known issue and there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to when they WILL break, they should be replaced when they are identified. I believe there was a recall to replace the male plastic end which is what seems to break with metal. For something like that, I would not be worrying so much about lifespan as there are too many variables and simply replace them if you find they are plastic. Check with the dealer to see if there is a recall outstanding for them on your bike.

Personally, I think I will change mine out with the Jiffy-Tite used by Voyager when I replace my external fuel lines this winter. It is simply a better connector for a few dollars more.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 5:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,172
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree View Post
I contacted CPC, hoping they would have some test data, but no. Here is my question, their reply and my reply to their reply.

and my reply to their reply

So, as the manufacturer of these quick couples, you have not done any testing to determent when they should be replaced. My experience is that these parts don't show any external signs that they are about to fail. I have replaced 3 of them. one was only weeping, one was spraying gas and one broke completely off. all were being ridden at the time they failed. If no testing has been done, we have to rely on the in use failure rate, and hope no one gets burned, literately. I'm going to guess I should contact BMW to see if they have any data on in use failure rate.
Thank you
Johnny


Their reply
The answer to your question really depends on a number of things, climate, storage conditions, maintenance, if you have an older model it probably is time to change them out. We suggest contacting a company called Fast by Ferracci, they are the best source for aftermarket CPC parts for your bike.

My question
Question about the plastic fuel line quick disconnects found on BMW motorcycles.

What is the service life of these fittings.

Does any one here have any data on in use failure rate? I have read every thing from replace at the first service, to,,, well I haven't read any thing about a upper limit. Even CPC used the term " older model" How old is older?

I can say that 15 years is to long, 10 years probably to long. So, is 5 years 15,000 miles about right? Does mileage even come into the mix?

Mechanic improper handling, maybe, you can break almost any thing. My 01 K12LT has had the tank off and on many times, my 05 K12S, as far as I know, only had the tank off once, for the fuel pump recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	113354  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2016, 9:58 pm
Senior Member
 
james216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Garfield Hts, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,387
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Don't even waste your time with the plastic ones. I went with the Jiffy tite Q disconnects Worth the price. And piece of mind.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
james216 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 8:08 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jwacree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hiawassee, GA, USA
Posts: 284
Garage
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Follow up reply from CPC

Hi Johnny,



I am sorry if I gave the impression that we do not test our products, we test our standard products and provide our specifications on-line, or with a specific part number we can email a copy. For this particular application we are not in a position to provide maintenance guidelines. BMW specifically chose this part for their application and performed the necessary quality and life-cycle tests for their specific application requirements. When using a CPC component there are many factors that may shorten the life of the coupler, to include the chemical attack of the black o-ring by the additives in the fuel which may causing the leaking you are seeing. When consumers contact CPC directly we typically suggest upgrading the black o-ring to an FKM material to extend the life of the o-ring, however, BMW should be able to provide you with recommendations for their specific application.

So I contacted BMW customer service. I'll let you know what they say.

Again, I'm lookin for the normal service life of these QD fittings.
Somewhere between the showroom floor and the day they fail. I'm lookin for that date.
I don't think it is necessary to change them on a bran new bike. I also don't like changing them after they fail.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
jwacree is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 8:32 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,016
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree View Post
Follow up reply from CPC

Hi Johnny,



I am sorry if I gave the impression that we do not test our products, we test our standard products and provide our specifications on-line, or with a specific part number we can email a copy. For this particular application we are not in a position to provide maintenance guidelines. BMW specifically chose this part for their application and performed the necessary quality and life-cycle tests for their specific application requirements. When using a CPC component there are many factors that may shorten the life of the coupler, to include the chemical attack of the black o-ring by the additives in the fuel which may causing the leaking you are seeing. When consumers contact CPC directly we typically suggest upgrading the black o-ring to an FKM material to extend the life of the o-ring, however, BMW should be able to provide you with recommendations for their specific application.

So I contacted BMW customer service. I'll let you know what they say.

Again, I'm lookin for the normal service life of these QD fittings.
Somewhere between the showroom floor and the day they fail. I'm lookin for that date.
I don't think it is necessary to change them on a bran new bike. I also don't like changing them after they fail.
What you are looking for is a written warranty. Good luck getting that. Just replace them and DON'T use plastic ones as it was a bad choice by BMW in the first place and the fact that there was a recall indicates that strongly. The recall is info probably all you will get.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 9:04 am
Senior Member
 
St0rm1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 183
Garage
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree View Post
Follow up reply from CPC

Hi Johnny,



I am sorry if I gave the impression that we do not test our products, we test our standard products and provide our specifications on-line, or with a specific part number we can email a copy. For this particular application we are not in a position to provide maintenance guidelines. BMW specifically chose this part for their application and performed the necessary quality and life-cycle tests for their specific application requirements. When using a CPC component there are many factors that may shorten the life of the coupler, to include the chemical attack of the black o-ring by the additives in the fuel which may causing the leaking you are seeing. When consumers contact CPC directly we typically suggest upgrading the black o-ring to an FKM material to extend the life of the o-ring, however, BMW should be able to provide you with recommendations for their specific application.

So I contacted BMW customer service. I'll let you know what they say.

Again, I'm lookin for the normal service life of these QD fittings.
Somewhere between the showroom floor and the day they fail. I'm lookin for that date.
I don't think it is necessary to change them on a bran new bike. I also don't like changing them after they fail.
To what end? They failed on a 15 year old bike that is no longer made. Even plastic that hasn't been exposed to chemicals will break down in that time and be susceptible to failure. I doubt they have a timeline you're looking for since they consider these parts as a disposable convenience item. Also they won't put a timeframe on a part that is subject to unknown conditions. They don't know if it's been in the freezer, oven, soaked in a bucket of diesel for 10 of those 15 years. Even under normal conditions they don't know how they will all hold up due to manufacturers irregularities. Under lab conditions sure, but in the real world they know they'll last until they don't and then replace them. So I'm confused on why you're treeing this cat. Are you wanting to get them to warranty them?
St0rm1 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,172
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree View Post
Follow up reply from CPC

Hi Johnny,



I am sorry if I gave the impression that we do not test our products, we test our standard products and provide our specifications on-line, or with a specific part number we can email a copy. For this particular application we are not in a position to provide maintenance guidelines. BMW specifically chose this part for their application and performed the necessary quality and life-cycle tests for their specific application requirements. When using a CPC component there are many factors that may shorten the life of the coupler, to include the chemical attack of the black o-ring by the additives in the fuel which may causing the leaking you are seeing. When consumers contact CPC directly we typically suggest upgrading the black o-ring to an FKM material to extend the life of the o-ring, however, BMW should be able to provide you with recommendations for their specific application.

So I contacted BMW customer service. I'll let you know what they say.

Again, I'm lookin for the normal service life of these QD fittings.
Somewhere between the showroom floor and the day they fail. I'm lookin for that date.
I don't think it is necessary to change them on a bran new bike. I also don't like changing them after they fail.
You are asking "how high is up"

Your question is not answerable. It depends on way too many factors. And, as I understand it, BMW has already essentially admitted that the male fitting is not up to the job via a service bulletin to dealers to change them to metal. The smart among us change them to all metal of the CPC o-ring style. The brilliant among us change to Jiffy Tites and dispense with the o-rings.


What do you hope to gain by tilting at this windmill? This is by far the highest value change you will make to an LT. $80 to prevent immolation of your bike and possibly yourself. Believe me, the LT has FAR more expensive issues to worry about.
sailor, JNW003 and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 3:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
JNW003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northridge, California, USA
Posts: 1,392
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

I have no idea why jwacree, having replaced 3 failed plastic QDs over the years, and been a member of this forum since November 2004, is still inquiring about the service life of a plastic fuel line part.

Years ago, I bought a brand new pair of plastic ski boots, stopped skiing for 10 years and left them under the bed. The first time I put them back on at the slopes, I took one step and they cracked off, leaving me wearing a pair of slippers.

Plastic QDs are bound to fail at the most inopportune time. Shortly after joining this forum and reading threads on their propensity to fail, I replaced the stock plastic QDs with Jiffy Tites for peace of mind. Although I understand that BMW now offers one side of the QD in metal, I wouldn't even bother with buying one, as the QD is only as good as it's weakest link...
Voyager likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JNW003 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 11:28 pm
Senior Member
 
Mark65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Glendale, AZ, USA
Posts: 178
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

I have not had the tank off my bike (yet), but I want to do this upgrade asap. So, not having actually seen the lines in question, do I need one set or two? Or, two fittings or four?

Thanks in advance!


Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
Mark65 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 11:38 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,016
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
I have not had the tank off my bike (yet), but I want to do this upgrade asap. So, not having actually seen the lines in question, do I need one set or two? Or, two fittings or four?

Thanks in advance!


Mark
To do the full job, you need 4 pieces. 2 male and 2 female. If it already has the QD's on it, some including the dealers, only replace the male end but I think I would just get the boneyard set and replace them all as a metal set. Best practices are to flip them from one line to the other so they can only go together one way. The right way.

New CPC Chrome Plated Brass Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Set - Oilheads & K-Bikes


If you want to spend a few more on better QD's, Voyager and others have used Jiffy-Tite QD's which are more like compressor air hose connects with a sliding collar. No o-rings to mess with.


Jiffy-tite Quick Disconnect Fittings

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 25th, 2016, 11:44 pm
Senior Member
 
Mark65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Glendale, AZ, USA
Posts: 178
Re: Life span of plastic quick disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
To do the full job, you need 4 pieces. 2 male and 2 female. If it already has the QD's on it, some including the dealers, only replace the male end but I think I would just get the boneyard set and replace them all as a metal set. Best practices are to flip them from one line to the other so they can only go together one way. The right way.

New CPC Chrome Plated Brass Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Set - Oilheads & K-Bikes


If you want to spend a few more on better QD's, Voyager and others have used Jiffy-Tite QD's which are more like compressor air hose connects with a sliding collar. No o-rings to mess with.


Jiffy-tite Quick Disconnect Fittings
Yeah, I think for four bucks more I'll go with the Jiffy-Tites. Thanks for the info, Gordon!


Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
Mark65 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Quick Disconnects - Were BMW Parts Redesigned? Toolman K1200LT 27 Feb 25th, 2011 10:55 pm
Male quick disconnect fuel line fitting mjac K1200LT 4 Jun 15th, 2010 3:20 pm
Quick Disconnect Alignment beemer100 K1200LT 14 Jan 7th, 2007 5:42 pm
Brass Fuel Quick Disconnect bigbear K1200LT 11 Nov 15th, 2006 10:38 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome